• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Paula,
Beautifully stated, thoughtful, intelligent and evocative like so many of your posts!

Awwwweee, Chickpea :blush: :love: Thanks. It was a looong post so somewhere in there were a few good ideas! Also consider that people who want small homes fall into different categories -- simple/efficient/low cost to bells&whistles/probably efficient/high cost/upscale.

One comparison of similar square foot cottages would be the ones behind Angelina's and the Cottages at Camp Creek. I think they're both about the same square footage, though the ones behind Angelina's are two stories and the ones at Cottages at Camp Creek that are similar square footage are all on one floor. I'd be curious to see the inside of the ones behind Angelina's to see how they used the space. Magnolia cottages are probably the next step up in size.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think it also makes a difference in the type of house it will be. Chickpea mentioned a primary residence, which should be designed differently than a second home. Outdoor storage, as well as creative closet space is needed, to name a couple of differences.

peapod1980

percy
Oct 3, 2005
Up the hill from the Gateway Arch
I also love "The Not So Big House" book and concept. Jdarg - I have the "Creating the Not So Big House" book if you ever want to borrow it.

Thanks- I might! I need to read the "Not so Much Stuff" book first.:bang:
Hey, jdarg, you're in luck! The "NSBH" lady has just come out with a book about simplifying your whole life! :clap:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Not-So-Big-Life-Matters/dp/1400065313/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0334390-0900077?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186019055&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Not So Big Life: Making Room for What Really Matters: Sarah Susanka: Books[/ame]

nmosley

Beach Comber
May 9, 2006
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." -- Edward Abbey 1927-1989

Truer words have never been penned!
Though I hate to say it :blush:

I am loving this post because I have always felt this way about the small vs large battle of the builders. We live in Texas. Here, the last 10 years have seen the worst monstrosities posing as "luxury and affluence". I love smaller scale homes with architectural interest and classic lines that are timeless. The houses seem to get bigger and bigger and as Shelly puts it (all have granite) but they lack character and originality.

The real problem is that builders, developers, etc. have refused to build smaller houses or allow the building of smaller houses on the lots in the nicer communities. So if you want to live somewhere that is appealing (better schools or safe environments, for example) you are forced to have a house that is much larger than you really need or want. It is insane!!

I am deeply affirmed by the thoughts on this post, since it makes me feel like I am not alone in my musings. Blessings to all today and thanks to Smiling Joe for the thought on patriotism... it never hurts to think outside of the box!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:wave: nmosley! You sound like you might live in my hood! I am getting ready to call the authoritites on a builder getting ready to chop down 2-50 yr. old magnolias and a pecan tree in the backyard of a "teardown" two houses down from me. My friend lives behind this home and will soon have a starter castle peering down in her yard. This teardown leaves me as one of the last original homes on my block. :sosad:

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." -- Edward Abbey 1927-1989

Truer words have never been penned!
Though I hate to say it :blush:

I am loving this post because I have always felt this way about the small vs large battle of the builders. We live in Texas. Here, the last 10 years have seen the worst monstrosities posing as "luxury and affluence". I love smaller scale homes with architectural interest and classic lines that are timeless. The houses seem to get bigger and bigger and as Shelly puts it (all have granite) but they lack character and originality.

The real problem is that builders, developers, etc. have refused to build smaller houses or allow the building of smaller houses on the lots in the nicer communities. So if you want to live somewhere that is appealing (better schools or safe environments, for example) you are forced to have a house that is much larger than you really need or want. It is insane!!

I am deeply affirmed by the thoughts on this post, since it makes me feel like I am not alone in my musings. Blessings to all today and thanks to Smiling Joe for the thought on patriotism... it never hurts to think outside of the box!

Great post - thanks.

BTW: who ever decided that granite was truely the mark of a a high end house??? There are many more materials far more interesting and less expensive.

I recently spoke to a developer who has real estate projects all over the world (marketing mostly although not exclusively word of mouth - attracts the super wealthy with private jets) - but all this to say that in his developments, people can buy lots as small as 1/8 acre and as large as 5 acres BUT all houses, even on largest lots are capped at a maximum of 5,000 sf. I asked him if this was ever a problem and he basically said NO - people adjust (especially for vacation homes) and that he and many others are leaning more and more in the direction of small.....music to my ears...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I thought you were going to say that the homes were capped at a size of something like 2000-2500sf. :rotfl:

Check out some of Ross Chapin's designs. Some are like living on a boat, but look well thought out. He is building communities with common areas with the tiny homes surrounding it. I love the style, I just have too much (needless) stuff.

CC1-2.jpg

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I love that style, too, SJ. Light, porches, sense of community, simple but high quality, charming, colorful. If a small house has a basement, that is a plus in my view because basements add a lot of flexibility without adding height/width to the house. In Florida, though, seems like homes aren't as likely to have basements.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
High water table, and you don't need to set the foundation deep because of freeze concerns like you do Up North. The only homes with basements here normally involve walk-outs on hilly lots.

Instead, everyone keeps their junk in the garage. It's amazing how many people are unable to put their cars in the garage because of that.