• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
:roll: ...:wave:

:D :wave: i looooooooooove my new marble kitchen counter tops! Afyon Sugar....second whitest marble known to man. Gorgeous. Come see it. I got mine polished just because I think it's prettier....but.....my island is jacobean color dark brown wood, I will just tell everyone to work on it, not the marble.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
:D :wave: i looooooooooove my new marble kitchen counter tops! Afyon Sugar....second whitest marble known to man. Gorgeous. Come see it. I got mine polished just because I think it's prettier....but.....my island is jacobean color dark brown wood, I will just tell everyone to work on it, not the marble.

I will come dance on them for you since you don't like cooking! :D :wave:

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I thought you were going to say that the homes were capped at a size of something like 2000-2500sf. :rotfl:

Check out some of Ross Chapin's designs. Some are like living on a boat, but look well thought out. He is building communities with common areas with the tiny homes surrounding it. I love the style, I just have too much (needless) stuff.

CC1-2.jpg

Those look wonderful!

That's the other thing I love about my teeny house--All the needless stuff goes away because there is nowhere to store it.

50-year-old metal edged formica. I would say that it's Retro, but it's really just the original countertops. Who's jealous?

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
Those look wonderful!

That's the other thing I love about my teeny house--All the needless stuff goes away because there is nowhere to store it.

50-year-old metal edged formica. I would say that it's Retro, but it's really just the original countertops. Who's jealous?

Here you need one of these to go in it! I love these! They also come in pink!

Last edited:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Here you need one of these to go in it! I love these! They also come in pink!

I'm shocked you didn't put those pink appliances in your new kitchen. Guess you got trumped, huh :lol: The new place is absolutely gorgeous! Sorry I missed you last weekend sweetie. Let me know when you're coming back in. :love:

To the original question. Good one. Chickpea. I'm all about small and luxurious. My place in Tampa Bay is only 1700 sq ft but has 2 fireplaces, outdoor kitchen, pool, double jacuzzi in master and very open. I loved it for a residence because it was so easy to keep clean and why pay for space you don't need?

Even my place here is 4 BR so I have plenty of room for beach guests but it's only about 1800 sq ft. Doesn't have all the comfies that I like but does have plenty of room for me. Perfect for someone who hates to clean and has no kids.

Actually hope tp buy a really small place cash in the future and as Shelly says, eat ramen noodles :rotfl:. Then buy a motorhome or sailboat and get outta dodge for a little while.

Experiences not stuff for this gal!

I do have to say I like the granite countertops though. I don't even have a cutting board (Ali can attest to this) and I don't need to find one with the granite :rotfl: Perfect for the lazy cook!

Yep, I vote for small and compact for most things! :funn:

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
A common mistake I find is that people jump on the bandwagon and put ALL the bells and whistles in rather than just the ones they would use. It is easy to fit all you need in a smaller space and live comfortably if you only include what YOU will use. Plan for how you live your daily life, rather than for infrequent or one time events.

For example:
-a smaller kitchen for someone who doesn't cook alot instead of a huge unused space with thousands wasted on commercial grade stainless appliances
-No formal dining room if people don't give dinner parties and have other spaces to eat in
-only enough garage space for the number of cars owned by residents, while guests park in the open or under a pretty planted arbor
-Guests rooms w/ smaller closets and luggage storage space instead of walk-ins