• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Looks like they don't mind upsetting the visitors if they leave stuff under or next to the public walkovers. :clap:

Must have gotten too close to the trash can!!! :rotfl: :clap: :wave: I'll take any of this news as good news! :D

Caroling

Beach Fanatic
Suppose someone rents a gulf front house for one week and makes arrangements with a beach service company to provide one umbrella and two chairs for the duration of their stay.

I have done this in the past and the umbrella and chairs are in place the day I arrive and stay there until we leave. They are not collected each evening and put out again each morning. Will the beach service companies now be forced to pick up and deliver each day? If so, I would think this would drive the price up dramatically and also cause serious manpower issues for these companies.

If you come down again and rent umbrella and chairs, please let the forum know how it works and if it costs more. In my view, the rental company should have told you to remove beach items each night. Either that or just do daily rentals. The overnight removal rule has existed all along, only now it is being enforced. Would it be practical for the rental company to move your gear every night?

dunelover

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
Oklahoma girl
www.thebeamstore.com
IMO this "tagging" is a bunch of crap! It is an administrative nightmare that local law enforcement shouldn't have to deal with and it's going to be the first thing to go as the county cuts back the budget due to "Sorry Charlie's" tax rollback.

Slap some signs on the beach (like the "no trespassing signs" that are springing up all over) that read, "Anything left unattended on the beach at sunset will be taken to the dump."

Somehow I don't see this situation getting any better if drastic steps aren't taken every night to clean up this mess.

Agreed---It is amazing to me what people leave. I witnessed an umbrella left today that was literally blowing apart in the wind. Wonder if it will be trashed since it is already. I think a neat business idea would be a resale shop for beach gear. Who has room to take it home?

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If you come down again and rent umbrella and chairs, please let the forum know how it works and if it costs more. In my view, the rental company should have told you to remove beach items each night. Either that or just do daily rentals. The overnight removal rule has existed all along, only now it is being enforced. Would it be practical for the rental company to move your gear every night?

It's not the responsibility of someone renting chairs/umbrella to remove them each day. If they are to be removed each day it needs to be done by the company, not the renter. I'll be damned if I'll haul two 50-pound chairs/footrests and an umbrella up two flights of stairs and pay for the privledge of doing it. To suggest such is insane.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It's not the responsibility of someone renting chairs/umbrella to remove them each day. If they are to be removed each day it needs to be done by the company, not the renter. I'll be damned if I'll haul two 50-pound chairs/footrests and an umbrella up two flights of stairs and pay for the privilege of doing it. To suggest such is insane.
I think it was mentioned somewhere in one of the 15 previous pages of this thread, or in the news story, that the beach vendors who leave their chairs and umbrellas on the beach, expect the rentors to remove and reset the chairs and umbrellas each day. I'm like you on that thought, JB. Why would I rent something that I could buy for less, if I am the one who has to do all the work, anyway. It sounded like an excuse to me. If I were being placed in charge of caring for the chairs overnight, I would just call the vendor up each day and order one set up each morning, not leaving me to do any of the work.

I doubt most of the vendors operate like that, but at least one is reported to do so.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
When do we start screening who gets to put their trashy toes in our pristine sand?

Hey, in some other areas this isn't a problem because anything left on the beach is claimed by another visitor if it is in good shape. Maybe our quality of visitor is our problem :scratch: :D

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Hey, in some other areas this isn't a problem because anything left on the beach is claimed by another visitor if it is in good shape. Maybe our quality of visitor is our problem :scratch: :D
I think you're on to something. (I'm not sure what, but it's something.:D)

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think it was mentioned somewhere in one of the 15 previous pages of this thread, or in the news story, that the beach vendors who leave their chairs and umbrellas on the beach, expect the rentors to remove and reset the chairs and umbrellas each day. I'm like you on that thought, JB. Why would I rent something that I could buy for less, if I am the one who has to do all the work, anyway. It sounded like an excuse to me. If I were being placed in charge of caring for the chairs overnight, I would just call the vendor up each day and order one set up each morning, not leaving me to do any of the work.

I doubt most of the vendors operate like that, but at least one is reported to do so.

Agree. It makes zero sense. Under the scenario you describe, where exactly is the renter supposed to move the stuff to? The big resorts have those white boxes on the beach where they store the stuff each evening. Those old-school wooden chairs the vendors use are HEAVY. I sure as hell am not going to move them and kill my beer buzz every evening (not to mention throwing out my back)

Problem is, renting by the day is MUCH more expensive than renting by the week. So what is one to do?