• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dawg09

Beach Comber
Jun 11, 2006
WaterSound Beach is beautiful. We own a house there and bought after researching many coastal locations/island along the Atlantic and Gulf. I would do the following:

- If you're looking at a lot, ask the Agent specifically what the build-out time frame is so you understand that aspect. If you buy a lot, press to have the build-out language (if it's not already) removed and be firm about it. ASK PLENTY OF QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. 2007 is very different than 2002 relative to this subject.
- Compare what you REALLY get with the Beach Club vs. what you get that is included as part of your HOA fees. Visit the Beach Club during January and during July and see what's open, what's closed, etc. If you buy a house with a Beach Club membership realize that you will have mandatory fees for both the Club and the HOA.
- If St. Joe commits something verbally to you, get it in writing in the Sales Contract.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

Watersound 1

Beach Comber
Mar 19, 2007
Not sure if it will influence your decision or not, but construction commence dates are currently a hot topic with possible extensions (or not) to be determined by joe soon... Fyi

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Not sure if it will influence your decision or not, but construction commence dates are currently a hot topic with possible extensions (or not) to be determined by joe soon... Fyi

Didn't JOE ditch those?.... or are they going to reinstate the fines again now that few lot owners can sell (and realize a profit) at lower prices than JOE?

Last edited:

Watersound 1

Beach Comber
Mar 19, 2007
It's a bit of a mess. Hard to sell a lot when you're required to have DRB approved custom plans and builder lined up in 0-12 months (depending on start date). The end result would be firesale on the lots of which most people (if not the original owner) paid premiums. The dates expedite the completion of the neighborhood of which I personally cannot wait to see. However, given current real estate climate and inventory levels, another extension may be appropriate...or perhaps options to purchase extensions at some reasonable cost (not $2,500 per month!).

We should know soon enough...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Didn't JOE ditch those?.... or are they going to reinstate the fines again now that few lot owners can sell (and realize a profit) at lower prices than JOE?
I think JOE pushed them back a couple of years, not ditching them completely. If I'm not mistaken, that clock will soon begin ticking again, unless JOE changes their minds again.

Beachbummette

SoWal Insider
Jul 16, 2005
Birmingham and Watersound
As some of you know we have just completed our new home in Watersound and even though getting through the DRB was a big headache and heartache.....we are thrilled with our location and all of our amenities. We bought the lot almost five years ago and bought for the long term, we plan on living there full time in about three years. I have been coming to 30-A my whole life and yes it is different than it used to be but still a very special place.

Brooks, what are you looking for? What are the things you desire in a second home? One of the things we love about Watersound is we are off of 30-A and the noise and traffic. We have a home in Seagrove we have been in for six years and it was getting pretty hectic to get in out and of our driveway in season. We are on The Beaches part of Watersound behind the main gate house and love it. My seven year old nephew came to visit and couple of weeks ago and wore us out riding his bike on all of the boardwalks and running around trying to decide what he wanted to do next...the puttering park....the yacht pond....the Dunesider Pool....the beachclub (yes, we are members) or the beach!

Who knows for sure what the long term will be. I do know that sales in Watercolor and Watersound have been much better than most places in 2007. As always, our theory is don't get in over your head. Do what you can AFFORD to do. Who wants to struggle to make ends meet?

If you want come visit us sometime. Let me know and we will make a plan.:wave:

Last edited:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
It's a bit of a mess. Hard to sell a lot when you're required to have DRB approved custom plans and builder lined up in 0-12 months (depending on start date). The end result would be firesale on the lots of which most people (if not the original owner) paid premiums. The dates expedite the completion of the neighborhood of which I personally cannot wait to see. However, given current real estate climate and inventory levels, another extension may be appropriate...or perhaps options to purchase extensions at some reasonable cost (not $2,500 per month!).

We should know soon enough...

Given St JOE's declining revenue and profits, in addition to its negative cashflow over the past year, it wouldn't surprise me if they start charging for the extentions again.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
St. Joe ought to pay Beachbummett to be the Watersound spokeswoman. She always makes such a fabulous place seem even better!:clap: