• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Almost every morning I'm out for a long walk. And most mornings, I see some interesting critter. So, I'll try - no promises - to get some photos and post a note when I do. It won't be every day, but I'll try to do it regularly for a while. Here's today's report:

Just off the beach at Ramsgate at about 7:00 AM there was a single dolphin making its way westward. I don't see them there many mornings, more in the afternoon. Pretty soon, there was a silvery fish about 10" long jumping out of the water, trying to escape. After a while, more fish and probably 3 or 4 more dolphins. The dolphins worked the school of fish for about 5 minutes. I'd guess at that point they had either eaten most of them or broken up the school, because after that I didn't see either again. Sorry, no photos. They were too far out for the simple zoom on my pocket camera.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Oh, I will love this daily critter report. :clap:I am a critter lover from way back. :D

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I always thought and still think that early morning is the best time to walk the beach and look for critters. I keep trying to get the wife to walk with me but she thinks it is too early. This year I took my brother and sister in law for a couple of walks and they could not believe the sights. They thought I was always pulling their chains on what I saw.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
The dolphins were back feeding again yesterday. They were just a couple of hundred yards east, off the tip of Eastern Lake.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Here's a Monarch. It would spread its wings and I would press the "shutter" button, but by the time my digital camera could actually fire, it would be closed again. I've got 4 shots just like this one. :D

Monarch.JPG

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
I saw these birds Saturday morning. I've tried in vain to identify them in my Audubon guide, but I believe they are both some type of sandpiper. Does anyone know?

The larger one kept working that hole until it retrieved the ghost crab that was down there. It then took it out to the gulf and rinsed off the sand before swallowing it.

Notice that one of the littler ones only has one leg.

Birds071013.JPG

Last edited: