• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I agree with M.K. & S.W.G.B. There is no reason to think that just because Weatherdotcom says the fire risk is here that we need to be running around hosing down houses for out of town owners or anyone else. Nor is there a need for even more people to be coming in and trying to be the fire dept. Our fire dept is very competent and I have the utmost confidence in their ability to keep losses at a minimum should the not-so-unimaginable happen. With the current water supply in the southeast in the condition it is in, I personally think that going around needlessly spraying it, just in case, is absurd. Your neighbors in ATL would be a bit upset , if they knew that they were sending their dangerously low supply of drinking water (that you guys so desperately need and want to keep in that area) down here to hose down your vacation home should it be in danger. I suggest you check the amount that you have it insured for, and relax.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Your neighbors in ATL would be a bit upset , if they knew that they were sending their dangerously low supply of drinking water (that you guys so desperately need and want to keep in that area) down here to hose down your vacation home should it be in danger.

And let's not forget that North Georgia is under "red flag" fire conditions, too, right when the temperatures have started to really drop and everyone is starting to crank up the fireplaces.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
everyone is starting to crank up the fireplaces.

I am really more concerned with the fact that we are facing a situation that entire STATES would not have water to fight a fire than I am about the humidity being low and that fire danger is high right now.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
For people who have renters in SoWal this week, it makes sense to call them and to let them know to be extra careful with fire safety (e.g., grilling - perhaps to pass on the grilling right now) while they are there. That's what I would do if we had renters. And thanks, BR, for keeping us on our toes (As someone who is also far from SoWal, I like that sort of information that I might otherwise miss).

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Not to mention the 12 inches of rain 2 week before last.
There is still standing water in alot of the ditches around here. So fire danger isnt that bad yet.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Not to mention the 12 inches of rain 2 week before last.

Yep, I can personally verify that. I drove home in nonstop rain that weekend. If I must come back down there so it will rain again, please let me know. Anything for the locals. ;-)

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Yep, I can personally verify that. I drove home in nonstop rain that weekend. If I must come back down there so it will rain again, please let me know. Anything for the locals. ;-)

I think we're good, but we'll keep you in mind. :D