• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
Public's beach rights being attacked

Bulletin from South Walton Community Council
www.southwaltoncc.org

Dear SWCC Member,

I apologize for this late notice. I received the agenda for the county commission meeting via email on Friday. It is a packed agenda which I will send by separate email. The meeting is Tuesday, November 13 at the courthouse in south Walton starting at 4 PM.

There is an item that will potentially impact the publics use of the beach and I want to make you aware of it. The SWCC position is at the end of this email.

As you may recall from my past emails, the county attorney made a presentation to the commissioners in which he offered four options for the county to consider regarding the issue of gulf front property owners excluding the public from using the beach in front of their structure. The county commissioners directed the county attorney to research two of the options. They were (1) preparing an ordinance that recognized the ancient and historical right of the public to use all or a portion (e.g., the first 20 feet) of the beaches under the Tona-Rama Florida Supreme Court case known as the customary use doctrine and (2) consider an easement from private beach front property owners for public access and use of the beach. The county attorney was to make a subsequent presentation on these options. As of this date he has not made a follow-up report to the commissioners.

The issue has now been placed on the agenda by a private attorney representing certain gulf front property owners. The agenda item is identified as:

4:40 PM Matthew W. Burns, Attorney representing Gulf front property owners
1. Request the Commission adopt resolutions or ordinances reconfirming Walton Countys commitment to preserving private property rights and recognizing the private property rights which exist with regard to Gulf front properties in the county
2. Request the Commission reconsider instruction to the County Attorney to draft a proposed county-wide customary use ordinance

Anyone who is concerned about public use of the beach should try to attend this meeting. More information will undoubtedly be presented by the gulf front property owners at the meeting. If you cannot attend you can direct your comments or questions to the commissioners. Their email address are provided below.

SWCC Position

SWCC would like the county commissioners to make a determination of the historic and ancient use of the dry sand beach by the public. We were concerned about one suggested proposal to limit the publics use to a specified distance, e.g., 20 feet, from the high water mark. The following is a letter sent by SWCC to the commissioners some time ago on this issue:

Dear Commissioners,

We want to express our concern with the two proposals currently being reviewed by the county attorney as a resolution of the issue of establishing public access over private beach.

With regard to the proposal to define the publics right of access and use to a specified footage from the high water mark (e.g. 20) we feel the adoption of such a limited public area in fact diminishes the publics rights of access and use under both the Tona-Rama Florida Supreme court case and the Stevens U.S. Supreme Court case.

As indicated in the county attorneys memorandum, the Tona Rama case recognized a right of customary use. The court stated: The interest and rights of the public to the full use of the beaches should be protected. The court concluded (t)he general public may continue to use the dry sand area for their usual recreational activities... (emphasis added)

The U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the holding of the Oregon Court in the Stevens case which concluded when plaintiffs took title to their land they were on notice that exclusive use of the dry sand areas was not part of the bundle of rights that they acquired. (emphasis added)

Both cases, and others, recognize the ancient and historical right of the public to access and use the dry sand beach area. The courts did not limit the publics customary use to a small strip of land measured from the high water mark. Why would the county want to narrow the area of the beach which has always been customarily used by the public?

There are logistical problems with trying to squeeze the public onto a strip of beach that is measured from the high water mark. First of all, the high water mark changes daily and in response to any storm. Who will measure the distance and how often? How will the public know where their strip is located? Typically, particularly in the large condos, the rows of private beach chairs and umbrellas are set up as the first tier from the high water mark for view. How much room will be left for the public?

Is this the best solution in light of the projected future population boom and the focus of the TDC to attract more tourists to the area?

The second proposal being considered is to get the beach front property owners to grant an easement to the public to allow the public to use all or a specified part of the beach. If the courts have so strongly upheld a right of customary use, why would the public need an easement? The easement would be granting a right that the public already has. It may also be construed as a rejection by the county of the publics right of customary use. Would the easement be perpetual or would it be revocable by the property owner? Would the public have to pay for the easement right?

An approach that was not discussed is to get the state legislature involved. In 2005 State Senator Carey Baker proposed a bill that would recognize the right of customary use of Florida beaches. His office indicated it did not get out of committee as it was blocked by the committee chairman. While such a bill may run afoul of the Tona-Rama approach which requires a case-by-case determination, it would seem worthwhile to explore this avenue through the countys state representative in Tallahassee. The Texas Open Beach Act has been in effect for years.

In the absence of a state legislative action, we would like to see the county follow the directive in the Tona-Rama case and initiate the case-by-case analysis required to establish the publics right of customary use for each particular beach area within its jurisdiction. The beach area would be a recognition of the dry sand beach historically and currently used by the public.

The proliferation of private beach signs on the beach has increased substantially, even in the current beach nourishment area. The overwhelming users of the beaches are tourist and locals. (Undoubtedly, at one time, many, if not all of those who have objected to people on their private beach were also visitors to the area and enjoyed the rights that they are now wanting to prohibit to others.) This issue must be resolved not only for the economic health of tourism but also for the people who live here and have always used the beach for recreation and spiritual renewal. We do recognize and appreciate that the overwhelming majority of beach front property owners whose deeds go to the high water mark have not in any way attempted to exclude the public from using the beach in front of their structures. Unfortunately, though, the few who have asserted exclusive rights of use have necessitated that this issue must now be addressed.

We believe the U.S. Supreme Court got it right. A beachfront property owner did not acquire the exclusive right to use the beach as a property right. The right of use is a shared right.

We appreciate the commitment of the Board to address this issue and hope that your decision will maintain the current use by the public and not diminish it.

Respectfully submitted,

The Board of Directors of the South Walton Community Council
Alan Newsome-President

Commissioner Contacts

Commissioner Ken Pridgen Commissioner Larry Jones
prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us

Commissioner Cindy Meadows Commissioner Scott Brannon
meacindy@co.walton.fl.us brascott@co.walton.fl.us

Commissioner Sara Comander
comsara@co.walton.fl.us

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
Re: Public's beach rights being attacked

Great. Let's all post a happy emoticon.

It doesn't matter a bit how much we support public use of the beach on this board, though. Not unless we back it up by showing up for this meeting and voicing our opinions.

So, roll call....who will be attending?

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005

:D Unfortunately I am 500 miles away. So in the meantime, I think it does help to say how I feel on the board. Awareness and speaking up encourages others. Sorry i won't be there but i can still let the commissioner's know how i feel in writing. So can every one else in my situation. :wave:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach

It is important that I take my wife to M.D. Anderson for tests regarding her renal cancer. I have already sent an e-mail to Commissioner Cindy Meadows voicing my strong agreement with the position expressed by SWCC in their letter. Anita will be looking out for us.

Busta Hustle

Beach Fanatic
Apr 11, 2007

if the attendance at this meeting does not set an all time record i'll be totally disappointed...i hear there will be snacks and balloons and cute baby puppies and a beautiful topless waitstaff:D

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic

Great. Let's all post a happy emoticon.

It doesn't matter a bit how much we support public use of the beach on this board, though. Not unless we back it up by showing up for this meeting and voicing our opinions.

So, roll call....who will be attending?

I'll be there.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com

This might be the biggest issue ever facing the BCC and residents of Walton county. Lets just hope the BBC does the right thing. The common sense thing. Everyone make sure you make this meeting if you can. Those that oppose the issue will be organized and have a plan. If we do not show support, the BBC will lean toward private beaches.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

BBC? Is that Board of Baffon Commissioners?

Seriously though I will attend, the beaches must remain in the public domain or SoWal will fold.