• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Y'know, before I posted above, I didn't realize you were inquiring about cats. Emerald Coast Kennels is probably good with cats, but the thought of boarding my cats has never ever crossed my mind. Cats who don't know each other normally don't play together well. :blink:

I'd probably go with Dune-Ahh's advice.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Y'know, before I posted above, I didn't realize you were inquiring about cats. Emerald Coast Kennels is probably good with cats, but the thought of boarding my cats has never ever crossed my mind. Cats who don't know each other normally don't play together well. :blink:

I'd probably go with Dune-Ahh's advice.

We don't board our cats, just extra food, water, and a clean litter box. That's for trips 2 days or less, otherwise we have a friend stop by and "freshen" the litter box and check food and water. We have one of those top loading feeders and water dishes.

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
Daisy the Lab loves Emerald Coast Kennels as well. Dragging her into the vet's office is interesting, but the last time we had to board her, she RAN to the front door at ECK and scratched to get in. You know the first day that your kid goes to day care and doesn't cry, but just strolls in without giving you so much as a second glance? It was like that.
Romeo does that tooo!! It makes me feel so much better that he likes being at teh kennel. He HATES the Vet's office. I think he just misses Dr. Saer.

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
being at "the" kennel. The fingers move faster than the brain.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
My family usually just pays someone to stay at the house w/ the dog(s).

It's actually cheaper than a kennel, your pet is in the comfort of your home, you don't have to adjust your travel plans to coordinate w/ kennel hours, you don't have to worry about your home being an unoccupied invitation to burglars, and you also don't have to arrange for mail/newspaper pickup.

My family usually just pays someone to stay at the house w/ the dog(s).

It's actually cheaper than a kennel, your pet is in the comfort of your home, you don't have to adjust your travel plans to coordinate w/ kennel hours, you don't have to worry about your home being an unoccupied invitation to burglars, and you also don't have to arrange for mail/newspaper pickup.
I've thought about having a pet sitter. But what if s/he accidentally lets the dog out into an unfenced area and the dog runs off and gets hit by a car? Or what if s/he lets the dog out on the patio, doesn't keep an eye on the dog, a deer or another dog walks through the backyard, and my dog gets excited and jumps over the wall and runs off (she's capable of jumping over the wall -- she just doesn't know it -- that's why I don't let her out of my sight when she's out on the patio)? I also worry about the person forgetting to turn on the burglar alarm, or talking to someone about whose dog s/he is keeping and some criminal overhearing the conversation and breaking into our house. That's how our last break-in happened -- someone overheard a conversation that one of my colleagues was having about us being out of a town, and that person and her husband broke into our house. One of the disadvantages of a small town -- you lose your anonymity.

So that's why we don't go anywhere we can take our dog. I don't want her at a kennel, and I don't trust anyone except my husband to watch her as carefully as I do.

While on the subject of pets, our daughter got a cat without our permission. She knows I despise cats. They creep me out the way they get on kitchen counters and dining tables -- gross. She wants to come home for a few days and bring the cat. :bang: I'm afraid our dog and her cat won't get along. How likely is it that they will get along? We've always had dogs, so I dunno.

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
well . . .even cats and cats sometimes don't get along. we don't even try to mix our cats with the one our son has - when he comes home to visit and brings his cat, we just keep her separate from the rest of the house. she has a litter box and food and water in his room/bathroom, and she stays there. it works very well. you might want to try that.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
well . . .even cats and cats sometimes don't get along. we don't even try to mix our cats with the one our son has - when he comes home to visit and brings his cat, we just keep her separate from the rest of the house. she has a litter box and food and water in his room/bathroom, and she stays there. it works very well. you might want to try that.

Excellent advice.

It will be less stressful all the way around (for animals and people) if you keep them separated. The cat will already be stressed because cats aren't like dogs- they don't like to go places. Throw bouncy and curious Pepper into the mix and you will have a traumatized cat that will probably pee everywhere. If you have a basement room that is quiet and Pepper can't get near it- perfect. The cat would be better off left in Atlanta with a few bowls of food and water and have a friend check on it.

Excellent advice.

It will be less stressful all the way around (for animals and people) if you keep them separated. The cat will already be stressed because cats aren't like dogs- they don't like to go places. Throw bouncy and curious Pepper into the mix and you will have a traumatized cat that will probably pee everywhere. If you have a basement room that is quiet and Pepper can't get near it- perfect. The cat would be better off left in Atlanta with a few bowls of food and water and have a friend check on it.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know cats don't like to travel. The cat gets mad at daughter if she's away too long, and the cat starts tearing up anything that's made of paper or cardboard. So I'm afraid she'd claw off the wallpaper if we kept her in daughter's bedroom/bathroom area.