• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
New ?Circus by the Sea? to Feature Beachside Big Top,
Florida State University Flying High Circus in Panama City Beach

PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. (December 5, 2007) ? In June of 2008, Florida?s newest seasonal attraction ? Circus by the Sea ? will spring to life at Frank Brown Park in Panama City Beach, bringing a dazzling three-ring aerial and stage production to visitors and residents alike. Presented by Flying High, LLC, Circus by the Sea will showcase junior and senior performers from the renowned Florida State University Flying High Circus, celebrating 60 years of spellbinding entertainment. Circus by the Sea will also debut the area?s first children?s circus camp, which will include lessons in a wide variety of thrilling circus performance skills, entertaining games and fun activities.
?I?m excited to bring the ?Greatest Collegiate Show on Earth? to the area? said Donald Hamrick, Circus Presenter. ?Circus by the Sea will provide a wonderfully unique family entertainment option during one of Panama City Beach?s busiest seasons.?
With seating for 2,000, the colorful, air-conditioned beachside Big Top will start to rise above the sandy shores at Frank Brown Park on May 12, 2008. Nightly performances will begin on June 13 and will run six days a week (Monday thru Saturday) through August 2. Audiences will enjoy a full evening of jaw-dropping routines rivaling any professional troupe, with occasional special guest intermission performances. Admission is $24 for adults, $16 for children (ages 4-16) and free for children under 4 years old.
Beginning June 23, 2008, Circus by the Sea will hold week-long (Monday thru Thursday) Circus Camps* for children ages 7 to 12through July 24. Working one-on-one with FSU performers, circus campers will learn to perform various basic circus performance skills, from balancing acts to juggling, and, yes, even flying high on the trapeze.
According to Hamrick, there are sponsorship opportunities available to area businesses and organizations interested in partnering with Circus by the Sea. Sponsorship packages include advertising and promotional exposure, on-site signage, tickets, and ring announcements at various performances.
For more information on Circus by the Sea and Circus Camp, please visit www.CircusByTheSea.com. For more information on FSU?s Flying High Circus, visit www.circus.fsu.edu. To purchase tickets for Circus by the Sea, or for specific information on performance times, call (866) 234-8895.
*Circus Camp runs $285/week for one child and includes a daily snack.

Oh, honey, in my experience being born and raised in Georgia, FSU was always referred to as "The Circus School" due to their presence at Callaway Gardens. As high school students choosing colleges, none of us chose FSU because we thought that circus was the only major. I guess that's ignorant, but that's the image that was projected to us.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Oh, honey, in my experience being born and raised in Georgia, FSU was always referred to as "The Circus School" due to their presence at Callaway Gardens. As high school students choosing colleges, none of us chose FSU because we thought that circus was the only major. I guess that's ignorant, but that's the image that was projected to us.

That's too bad. I know 3 successful FSU grads who all took Circus classes. They all speak of it with much excitement.

You don't "get" Circus until you participate in some way. Isn't that like it is with many things though- you have to take a close enough look to appreciate. We were lucky enough to participate in Circus of the Kids, and we can't wait to see Circus by the Sea and see this program in person after hearing about it for so many years! :clap:

That's too bad. I know 3 successful FSU grads who all took Circus classes. They all speak of it with much excitement.

You don't "get" Circus until you participate in some way. Isn't that like it is with many things though- you have to take a close enough look to appreciate. We were lucky enough to participate in Circus of the Kids, and we can't wait to see Circus by the Sea and see this program in person after hearing about it for so many years! :clap:
We saw it every year on a class trips to Callaway Gardens. So we got unimpressed with it after so many years.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
I never knew this about FSU's reputation (Flying High Circus). I guess it's also a big rival with Univ. of FL. All I know is it has a very respected school of music, comparable to NYU, Cincinnati, Oberlin & many others across the country. It's on my son's list. I've been extremely impressed with FSU - maybe even more so than any other schools in FL (horrors!!).

The Circus by the Sea sounds awesome! :clap:

I never knew this about FSU's reputation (Flying High Circus). I guess it's also a big rival with Univ. of FL. All I know is it has a very respected school of music, comparable to NYU, Cincinnati, Oberlin & many others across the country. It's on my son's list. I've been extremely impressed with FSU - maybe even more so than any other schools in FL (horrors!!).

I didn't know that it had a good reputation as a music school until our daughter got involved in music at an advanced level when she was 11. Again, all we saw in Georgia was the circus thing.

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
I never knew this about FSU's reputation (Flying High Circus). I guess it's also a big rival with Univ. of FL. All I know is it has a very respected school of music, comparable to NYU, Cincinnati, Oberlin & many others across the country. It's on my son's list. I've been extremely impressed with FSU - maybe even more so than any other schools in FL (horrors!!). The Circus by the Sea sounds awesome! :clap:

Come to a Sinfonia Gulf Coast concert to see/hear some of the fabulous musical talent of FSU; several of our musicians are FSU students, doctoral candidates and professors.

www.sinfoniagulfcoast.org

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

If it is and you own a house in South Walton have the utilities put in his name and get him a Florida driver's license the next time you are down here. Only takes one year to prove "residency". ;-)