• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
It is thrilling! I've only seen one in the wild-down in the Hill Country around Austin. I have pics somewhere. I love birds of prey. I've almost wrecked several times going to and from work watching hawks diving for prey.

Me too, but you already knew that. :D
Speaking of hawks, I've seen so many this year, and so have others and so we are thinking that perhaps they know something we don't, like it would be a mild winter or an early spring this year?
Next weekend, MANgo and I are going on an Eagle watch cruise. They migrate from Canada to CT and can be seen January-March.
http://hartford.about.com/cs/daytrips/a/aaeaglewatch.htm

Will take pics. :wave:

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
For everyone who would like to see a Bald Eagle, I don't think this one is just passing through. Some out-of-town visitors saw one diving in the gulf for fish off the beach just east of Eastern Lake in October. I saw one soaring with a Turkey Vulture back in November, I think, over 30A at Watersound. Now it was over by Little Deer Lake. I think it could be the same one and that it's been here all winter. If it's not actually roosting in the Deer Lake area, it sure comes back regularly.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Me too, but you already knew that. :D
Speaking of hawks, I've seen so many this year, and so have others and so we are thinking that perhaps they know something we don't, like it would be a mild winter or an early spring this year?
Next weekend, MANgo and I are going on an Eagle watch cruise. They migrate from Canada to CT and can be seen January-March.
http://hartford.about.com/cs/daytrips/a/aaeaglewatch.htm

Will take pics. :wave:

Oh man! Wish I was going! This reminds me of YEARS ago, in another life, we went on the Vanishing Texas River Cruise. We were "supposed" to see eagles. Didn't see a damm one. Drank a lotta beer though. :D

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Mrs. Singinchicken and I caught this guy in a tree below the bridge going across Deception Pass above Seattle back in May of 06. Very impressive! Absolutely amazing when it took flight...

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
Mrs. Singinchicken and I caught this guy in a tree below the bridge going across Deception Pass above Seattle back in May of 06. Very impressive! Absolutely amazing when it took flight...

Color me green. :D

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
For everyone who would like to see a Bald Eagle, I don't think this one is just passing through. Some out-of-town visitors saw one diving in the gulf for fish off the beach just east of Eastern Lake in October. I saw one soaring with a Turkey Vulture back in November, I think, over 30A at Watersound. Now it was over by Little Deer Lake. I think it could be the same one and that it's been here all winter. If it's not actually roosting in the Deer Lake area, it sure comes back regularly.

One flew across 98 near the Fabrice stretch of road- he was low enough that we could see that he had some sort of fishing line or string hanging from his leg.:sosad:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
One flew across 98 near the Fabrice stretch of road- he was low enough that we could see that he had some sort of fishing line or string hanging from his leg.:sosad:

:sosad:

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Franny, the pink flamingo is native to TN now! :lol: We bought it at Shady Oaks Antiques when we were down there in August. We also have a native to TN hippo also. :lol:

I do wish I could have gotten a picture a few weeks ago of the owl that was in the tree above me by our side porch. I did not even know he was in that tree until I saw him fly out across our backyard. And of course I didn't have my camera outside with me. :bang:

I guess better late than never! So actually the pinkie is a sowal bird!:D

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Cooper's Hawk

It's been a while since I posted an update to the critter report. I saw a Cooper's Hawk late this afternoon, perched on a post in my neighbor's yard. It was a little too far for the zoom on my cheap pocket camera, so here's Wikipedia's photo. When it flew off, a mockingbird went after it, scolding and chasing. Understandable, since Cooper's prey on other birds.

It has striking red eyes, yellow legs with serious looking claws, and a pale mottled chest, not all gray as this photo suggests. About 16" beak to tail.

Oops, somehow I posted a thumbnail of the photo. Clicky on it for the bigger picture.

Last edited:

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
These ghost crab burrows are under the trash bag at the Ramsgate walkover. There are a couple at the Eastern Lake walkover, too, also under the trash bag. The crabs are pretty elusive - I've only seen one of them, but you can clearly see their tracks in the photo.

GhostCrabBurrow.JPG

These little guys are cute and pretty easy to catch with your hand if you can get close enough! We practice catch and release. Try going after dark, that's when they seem to be most active.