• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The guitar and poor singing will be in my truck! Now if someone could just sneak me a permit to drive my truck on the beach... ;-)

I love that you grew up on SoWal.com! I remember when your sig line said "28 going on 17", or was it 27? :clap: You are an old man now!:lol:

kimbug

Beach Lover
Apr 8, 2005
Northeast Ohio
Hi Everyone! My name is Kim (I'm actually a Kimmifun too but when I arrived at this board the name was already in use by the more famous one :lol:)! I don't remember when or how I discovered this funn place, must have been when I was planning one of our first vacations to Sowal when our family had grown tired of fighting crowds in Destin! I am kind of a lurker and will try to post more often. I do check out what's going on here everyday. Nobody in my family gets the obession :blink:!

I live in Northeast Ohio about 20 miles south of Cleveland. It's really not that bad here except I really, really, really don't like the winter. Not because of the cold or snow just the inconsistency...almost always gray, cold, then mild, frozen, snowy, then slushy, gross...you get the picture. It makes walking my doggies miserable.

I am a stay at home mom although my time for that is running out. My daughter went off to college this fall (fairly difficult to adjust to) and my son is 15 1/2. Currently, I'm teaching him how to drive...for some reason it's a little scarier than teaching my daughter. I'm almost 42 and I've been married to a pretty grayt guy for 20 years. Since I fell into the role of mom at a fairly young age I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Maybe something in graphic design...love scrapbooking and photography. I also love to read.

Vacationing on the Sowal beaches is one of my favorite things ever. I agree about wanting to tell everybody about this magical place but nobody all at the same time. I will never forget seeing those beaches for the first time (and I've been to lot's of beaches). I just think it's the landscape that's like no other place I've ever seen. I'm definitely at peace when I'm there which is not often enough. Even though I've never met any of you, I think this board is really awesome :clap:!

Mike B.

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
Jdarg,

I beleive it was 27. It began with me driving down 30A and coming to the stop sign at Defuniak St. I'd stopped there a million times on my way to and from Seagrove and Seaside (I still like to get coffee at Studio 210). I decided to turn right this time and see where the road went and thats when the 4 wheels under me rolled into what I beleive to be the ideal vision of the beach getaway. I've made it a point to always come back and at least get a beer at Red Bar anytime I'm in the area. (I'm so excited that I can finally afford to stay IN Grayton now and cant wait to come down in April!) So after that first experience I looked up anything I could on the internet having to do with Grayton Beach and thats how I found this message board and all the really nice people on it.

daviesl

Beach Crab
Jul 13, 2005
Hiya everybody, I've lurked for years, especially in dead of winter, when hankering for some sand and sun.

Live in SW Iowa on an old farmstead, nearest neighbor about 1/4 mile away. Drive 50 miles each way to work in Omaha at a software company. Used to work in golf business, but tired of no time off to spend with kids, who are now 6 (boy), 10 & 14 (girls). Still keep my PGA membership and give golf lessons when I can.

First time in SoWal was Jan., 1993. I remember my then five month old daughter grasping sand in her little hand at Seaside. We had driven down from Atlanta, where my sister lives, for a few days. Little did we know we'd get hooked!

My wife, Cathy, loves the area as much as I and we get there when we can, mostly in November timeframe. Our first week rental was in Sunrise Beach in '96. Thereafter, we've stayed in Carillon Beach.

I promise to lurk less and post more.

Cheers,

Mystified

Beach Lover
Jan 6, 2008
I'm 55 Long Island NY lifer. Taurus but astrologers tell me I'm an Aries. Back in the mid '70's my dad, tired of the stress of the north, bought land in the woods of Walton Cty, put a trailor on it and lived in oblivion until my son was born in '83 then he moved back. Oh! I visited there once when they 1st moved there but being sort of a city girl, felt it was a military hick town and never went back. He died in '84, left no will so guess who got stuck with the legal BS & taxes? So now I'm forced to revist the area and while looking for a place to stay fall upon this awesome chat board and realize this is no hick town and I can't wait to get there and enjoy like ya'll are!

ummm lemme see where wuz I....oh. div 15 years met alot of nuckle heads but never was lucky in love so I gave up and I'm cool w/that. I think I watched too much TV while growing up and possibly been afflicted with the "Cinderella Syndrom". I have 2 kids; a daughter 28 & son 25 and my dog. Looking back I should've had more dogs, LOL.

I'm the outdoorsy type, hiking, gardening, healthy cooking. bookstores....career? mostly stay at home Mom while working P/T in insurance industry. Hmmm, what else can i say. I talk too much, LOL.

Last edited:

Destiny

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2005
West Central Georgia
Where to start?
I'm 52, married for 32 years to my teenage sweetheart, have a 26 year old son, and I retired last year after 32 years in medical case management and social work. (Whew - a mouth full).
I don't get on the board much anymore as I am caring for my mother who lives 55 miles from my home. Just not enough time and have to prioritize everything. Life is busier now than when I worked and had my son home participating in all the sports activities. But, I am glad to have the days with my mother.

My father started taking us to SoWal when I was just a baby. I remember staying in some of the cottages in SoWal and later in PC. When I was newly married we started staying in PC and visited 2-3 times yearly. We "stumbled" across SoWal again about 20 years ago and enjoy visiting the area. We tired of PC as we grew older. We enjoy the 30A area and prefer the Seacrest Beach and Blue Mountain Beach areas most of all. We love the Seaside Market too.

Enough of me. I really enjoy the board. It is great to see how everyone communicates and shares daily life as well as supports each other.
Kurt, Thank you for this website and all the work you put into updates and operation.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
I'm 55 Long Island NY lifer. Taurus but astrologers tell me I'm an Aries. Back in the mid '70's my dad, tired of the stress of the north, bought land in the woods of Walton Cty, put a trailor on it and lived in oblivion until my son was born in '83 then he moved back. Oh! I visited there once when they 1st moved there but being sort of a city girl, felt it was a military hick town and never went back. He died in '84, left no will so guess who got stuck with the legal BS & taxes? So now I'm forced to revist the area and while looking for a place to stay fall upon this awesome chat board and realize this is no hick town and I can't wait to get there and enjoy like ya'll are!

ummm lemme see where wuz I....oh. div 15 years met alot of nuckle heads but never was lucky in love so I gave up and I'm cool w/that. I think I watched too much TV while growing up and possibly been afflicted with the "Cinderella Syndrom". I have 2 kids; a daughter 28 & son 25 and my dog. Looking back I should've had more dogs, LOL.

I'm the outdoorsy type, hiking, gardening, healthy cooking. bookstores....career? mostly stay at home Mom while working P/T in insurance industry. Hmmm, what else can i say. I talk too much, LOL.

:welcome:Mystified. I see we're the same sign and almost the same age--with some of the same interests. Now post some of those healthy recipes!!

Where to start?
I'm 52, married for 32 years to my teenage sweetheart, have a 26 year old son, and I retired last year after 32 years in medical case management and social work. (Whew - a mouth full).
I don't get on the board much anymore as I am caring for my mother who lives 55 miles from my home. Just not enough time and have to prioritize everything. Life is busier now than when I worked and had my son home participating in all the sports activities. But, I am glad to have the days with my mother.

My father started taking us to SoWal when I was just a baby. I remember staying in some of the cottages in SoWal and later in PC. When I was newly married we started staying in PC and visited 2-3 times yearly. We "stumbled" across SoWal again about 20 years ago and enjoy visiting the area. We tired of PC as we grew older. We enjoy the 30A area and prefer the Seacrest Beach and Blue Mountain Beach areas most of all. We love the Seaside Market too.

Enough of me. I really enjoy the board. It is great to see how everyone communicates and shares daily life as well as supports each other.
Kurt, Thank you for this website and all the work you put into updates and operation.

:welcome:Destiny! We could talk shop. I spend a good part of my week calling on case managers and social workers. I work in Long Term Care.

Truffle Anne

Beach Fanatic
Jan 29, 2008
Dune Allen
It is a pretzel that supposedly looks like the Virgin Mary. Available on Ebay for a low low price of $5k.

I wanted to purchase it for my inhome altar, but we just got back from RedBar and gave all our chips to the darling waiter, Rodolfo. Mmmm, crabcakes. Cute goatee, too. (Not on the 'cakes.)