• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
beachsio2,
I think the TDC guys forget to drop their rakes sometimes. I often see their tracks un-raked, lately.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
SJ, I didn't mean to leave the impression I was not concerned with ALL the beach by what I said, but I see how it could be interpreted that way. I agree with you 100%. (Someone needs to instruct me on how to use only part of a quote when responding to a post.)

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
beachsio2,
I think the TDC guys forget to drop their rakes sometimes. I often see their tracks un-raked, lately.

That's why I deleted my post. I was unsure and didn't want to post incorrect information. I know in May they are asked not to rake due to turtle nesting and sometimes they are asked to rake. It can be somewhat confusing.

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
I went to this home on the beach and took the following picture. the sign seems kind enough. The statute is 810.09 dealing with tresspass. The home is for sale. I hung around a bit hoping someone would come out and talk with me about the sign. No luck. The sign is about 10 paces from a fence and sea oats they have in place and I paced out 45 steps to the wet sand line from the sign.
Someone drove between the sign and the fence, maybe to try to get a rise out of the homeowners that I believe was the TDC as the tracks went to the trash receptacle from the property.
I didn't take offense at the sign as it seems kind enough.
The owners are possibly trying to make their property look as large as they can for a potential sale.
I'll post the sign just as soon as I pull it from the gallery. Be right back.

I agree it is polite enough, but it is still misleading. Most visitors that see it will assume they are trespassing if they sit south of the sign. The line about walking along the waters edge helps convey that false impression. This property extends no further south of back deck than 65 feet. None of the properties east from the public access to the next public dune walkover extend to MHW.

This is not an issue of private property but of a beachfront homeowner trying to keep visitors off of public property. That is wrong. I'm also concerned that the lifeguard stationed at the Dune Allen access does not know where the public beach is. I hope he/she is not assisting in this deception.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I spoke briefly to the life guard on duty and he stated that while he was aware of the beach usage situation, he tried to stay away from any opinion one way or the other. I can certainly understand his position and agree with his stance completely.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I spoke briefly to the life guard on duty and he stated that while he was aware of the beach usage situation, he tried to stay away from any opinion one way or the other. I can certainly understand his position and agree with his stance completely.

That's what the lifeguard I spoke to said also. My guess is they don't want to get into anything more specific than that with either property owners or beach-goers at all. It would make their lives pure hell if they did say more than that.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Thanks for posting the sign. With the dune fencing in the background, I can see someone posting signs to keep people off of the little dunes which exist there. With the sign being one lot away from the Public Park, I cannot help but think that this sign belongs to one person, and not the Dune Allen Sub-division. According to the plat, the property lines for that lot have a set distance, which doesn't go to the Mean High Water Mark. Perhaps that sign is marking the southern corner boundary of the property. Without having specific boundaries marked and identified, it is difficult for one to know the area where this owner is claiming he holds title. Maybe the sign is someone polite, because the person who posted it cannot force people to walk by the water's edge, so he is just encouraging it via this sign. I don't know. Any thoughts?

That sign was already up when we got there. He actually was putting the other sign (south side) up, which is what caught my attention in the first place, that & his observation of us. And, if it only had to do with dune restoration, wouldn't it be placed in front of the dunes, just like in Topsail, where the signs about not walking on dunes are actually next to the dunes & not out on the beach?

Again, whether he's politely doing posting something or not, the issue that our beaches have become such a private vs. public beach argument is what I do not understand. Why would you buy property next to a public access & then have an issue with the public? Of course, the key to getting locals & visitors alike to clean up IS an issue, but that's not the way to solve that.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Thanks for posting!

As they say; Here's your sign!

DSCN1334.JPG

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
That sign was already up when we got there. He actually was putting the other sign (south side) up, which is what caught my attention in the first place, that & his observation of us. And, if it only had to do with dune restoration, wouldn't it be placed in front of the dunes, just like in Topsail, where the signs about not walking on dunes are actually next to the dunes & not out on the beach?

Again, whether he's politely doing posting something or not, the issue that our beaches have become such a private vs. public beach argument is what I do not understand. Why would you buy property next to a public access & then have an issue with the public? Of course, the key to getting locals & visitors alike to clean up IS an issue, but that's not the way to solve that.

I rode by the access today to look for myself. It appears his sign is further north than when he first posted it last year. Still, the intent is obviously to keep the public (at the Dune Allen access) from going any further east than his sign rather than to prevent people from disturbing his dune vegetation.

There weren't too many people on the beach so it wasn't crowded. It sure is a beautiful day! The breeze was a little too cool for swimming, but perfect for lounging, walking, or cycling!

I am glad to hear the lifeguard is not giving any information rather than false information.