• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I know the Red Bar breakfast has been brought up in another thread, but they won me over when Mrs. SC and I were down for the soiree. I was there 3 of the 4 mornings we were down. Great food. Excellent prices. Don't know my waiter's name, but he was the one who looks like Faber Dewar from Trading Spaces...

large422.jpg

Very attentive and friendly. He took good care of us. No need to go anywhere else for breakfast, IMHO! Great job, Oli!

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
I truly hope that the "very dated ambience" wasn't the deciding factor. I've eaten at all the restaurants with the "fancy decor" all up and down 30A, and their food and service was usually sub-par (and sometimes even laughable.) In my experience, Thom and Katherine will do just about anything to please customers, and would have liked to know about it if you were unhappy with the food.

Just my 2 cents, but then, I'm old fashioned. I don't care about fancy decorating as long as the food is 5 star quality. Go to New York City to a similar restaurant and you'd pay 3 times the price, and still would not have the fresh ingredients and seafood that the chefs have to work with here.

For Mediterranean cuisine, I hope others will give it a try. When I recommend it to people, so many say "but it doesn't LOOK that good." I remind them not to judge a book by its cover. With the recession, I worry about the small restaurants are struggling, and I would really hate to see restaurants like The Terrace no longer in business.

We really wanted the Terrace to be good but have to say it was just OK. The ambiance was very dated and the food was not spectacular. I am not saying don't go there, but "if there was one place", I think you can do better.

oli

Mr. Potato Head's worst nightmare
Nov 18, 2004
Here is my experience with the Red Bar. First time, about 1999, service was good, so was the food. I went several times after that, and everything was ok. However, my last visit, about 2 years ago, the waitress asked me "how is everything?", and I told her it wasn't very good. The waitress argued with me, told me everyone else liked the food and she didn't understand why I had a problem with it! When a customer complains about something, the correct response is to offer to fix the problem, not to argue with the customer!

I haven't been back. Unless someone gives me a compelling reason, such as new management, I won't go back and won't recommend it to my friends as well.

One bad experience is all it takes to loose a long time customer,the restaurant bizz is brutal let me tell you folks...hey Sunsetdunes be a good sport and give me another shot i'll make you proud promess

oli

Nov 18, 2004
I know the Red Bar breakfast has been brought up in another thread, but they won me over when Mrs. SC and I were down for the soiree. I was there 3 of the 4 mornings we were down. Great food. Excellent prices. Don't know my waiter's name, but he was the one who looks like Faber Dewar from Trading Spaces...

large422.jpg

Very attentive and friendly. He took good care of us. No need to go anywhere else for breakfast, IMHO! Great job, Oli!

thanks for the props singinchicken the server's name is barry ,,,,,,,,

oli

Nov 18, 2004
Wow, someone doesn't like the Red Bar? We've been going there since they opened and have never had any complaints (except maybe parking, but not much anyone can do about that). It's the only place, since 331 closed, that I will order crab cakes. The gumbo is the best I've ever had anywhere! When we have company, the only place that is a must is the Red Bar, which is difficult on Friday & Saturday nights in season. Oli - why don't you just serve crab cakes 7 nights a week? It would make my life easier!:wave:
Renee (Fun in the Bun)

Renee i'm secretly in love with you

oli

Nov 18, 2004
Yes it is! It is also about giving back to the community. Just in case no one else has mentioned it, Oli and the Red Bar staff donated their time and effort Tuesday night at Butler Elementary. They supplied 300 delicious meals to help with the Butler Bear Run fundraiser.

It was a pre race dinner that raised a lot of money for a great cause - all those precious children of ours.

Thanks Oli.

Don't even mention it OnmackBayou we love those little munshkins i got 4 myself...............

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Don't even mention it OnmackBayou we love those little munshkins i got 4 myself...............

I imagine y'all are being inundated by lots of little fishing munchkins right about now!:wave: