• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
www.seasidefloridajazzfestival08.com

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
105.gif
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 16-18, 2008 [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 23-26, 2008[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]

Seaside Amphitheater Seaside Florida

For tickets, call
866-579-5424
Order online at
seasidefloridajazzfestival08.com

[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Festival Lineup[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 16-18, 2008 (All Access Weekend Pass $100) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 16th @ 7:00PM - The Rebirth Brass Band[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 17th @ 4:00PM - Shamarr Allen[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 17th @ 6:00PM - Nester Torres[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 18th @ 3:00PM - Ted Shumate[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 18th @ 5:00PM - Jesse McBride[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 23-26, 2008 (All Access Weekend Pass $150) [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 23rd @ 7:00PM - Hot 8 Brass Band[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 24th @ 4:00PM - Glen David Andrews[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 24th @ 6:00PM - Little Freddie King[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 25th @ 3:00PM - Dayve Stewart[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 25th @ 5:00PM - Marva Wright[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 26th @ 4:00PM - Walter "Wolfman" Washington[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]May 26th @ 6:00PM - The Neville Brothers[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Last edited:

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
OK, taken in the context of 3 or 4 nights' entertainment, $100 or $150 a pop doesn't seem terribly expensive. But, I can't expect to make it every night either weekend. And I'm not real keen on that price for a single night of the lineup they've got. I expect it's too late to ask now, but wouldn't it have been nice if they could have priced it by the single day, as well?

Methinks the crowd could be small...

Too bad, the best way to see the Nevilles is jammed elbow to elbow, sweating and juking. Like, for instance, at Tipitina's. Not sitting on a lawn with three affluent white guys discreetly tapping their toes. As always, apologies to affluent white guys with rythmn. :D

<Rant mode on>

PS - Why is there part of me that thinks that the correct new urban way to pitch this would be free?

<Rant mode off>

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
We just received a call from a SoWaller at the Seaside Jazz Fest- they are holding off the Rebirth Jazz Band because there are only a handle of people! Y'all get on over there!!
:clap:

I believe he said they are just going to open up the gates!

Last edited:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
yes. free.

all access...

Holy crapola! I would have gone, as we were just over in W.Color right about that time!

Are they refunding those who paid?:dunno: Did they have a lot of ticket holders that were no-shows b/c of weather?

Mr. OM opened for the Neville Bros in 2003 in Li'l 5 Pts. It was funn....:clap: Charles was telling me he had a 3 month old child (I think he was 65 then!) and Aaron was really kind to me & #1 who was only about 18 months old.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I doubt they refunded the ticket money to the six people who were inside the gates when the announcement was made to open the gates. Fortunately for everyone, including the band, they did open the gates. This crap just makes no sense to me. I tend to get excited and exaggerate sometimes, but here is a photo of the six people who paid admission for tonights' show. The other people are Seaside Security and Sheriff's Deputies. Show time was 7pm, and this photo was taken at 7:20pm, just before they made the announcement to open the gates so that the band would have an audience.
p5160017_sm.jpg

First, the Seaside representative at the Board of County Commissioners' Mtg on Tuesday night, who was applying for permission to have the Jazz Fest (yes, on Tues of this week!), flat-out lied to the BCC when asked point blank if Seaside would open up parking. She announced that all of the public parking areas in Seaside, with the exception of one small portion on the north side, would be open for public parking, and they needed that small space to control the gates. Instead of doing as the Seaside representative stated, Seaside blocked off half of their public parking to erect tents to prevent people from seeing into the amphitheater.

They charged $100 per ticket for this weekend, and literally had six people on the lawn at 7:20pm tonight to see the awesome NOLA band, Rebirth Brass Band. I was shocked, but not really. Seaside had that place so wrapped up and looking like "KEEP OUT" and that just looked so wrong for a place like Seaside.

After opening the gates to the non-paying public, whom there were only a few in the area outside the blockade of tents, Rebirth Brass Band took the stage, to a handful of an audience. I have to give up to Rebirth, because they put on a great show, regardless. I was thinking all along that if I were the band and had such a low turn-out, I'd get back on the bus and go home, and tell Seaside what to do. Instead, Rebirth stuck with it, and word quickly went through the cellular waves around town, and more people showed up, and we all had a great time. Here is a photo of the still dim crowd after the general public entered and Rebirth went on stage:
p5160023_sm.jpg

The weather held off, and there are a crap-load of people who came into town last night, so something was really effed up about this. My suggestion to anyone who has some power at Seaside is to refund the money for ticket sales this weekend, remove those damn barrier tents, and let people fill the lawn and enjoy the show. It is rather embarrassing for such talented musicians to play to a "crowd" of six people. Even with free entry, there were a max of 75 people at tonight's show. Seaside should be embarrassed!!! Oh, yeah, the Cops busted me when I tried to take a photo inside the venue. They said it was a Seaside rule, and while I was there, I needed to comply .... The Deputy and I talked and laughed for a while at the ridiculousness of it all. There were several professional photographers and videographers in the venue, and several people with camera phones, snapping away.

I did thoroughly enjoy Rebirth Brass Band, and they seemed to have a good time too. I cannot imagine their thoughts if they had to play to the six paying customers. The other positive of the night was that the beer lines were non-existent:
p5160021_sm.jpg

This photo was taken after the show started. I almost forgot another positive of the event -- there were more portajohns than attendees, so no lines for waiting.

Seaside, get your freaking act together!

jpbhen

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2005
Seagrove/Cincinnati
Holy toledo! compare this to the completely awesome jazz festival at gulf place last month. what is seaside thinking of? it makes them look SO BAD. :cool:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
what was the purpose of all those tents?
They were erected to block non-paying people in the public areas of Seaside from seeing the show, in theory, "forcing" people to buy tickets. I truly hope that Seaside will learn and grow from this flop. They cannot blame it on the lack of people liking the band or jazz, because Rebirth is awesome, as is that horny NOLA jazz. I would love to see this event become successful over time. I think it has much potential, but Seaside really needs to rethink their strategy.