• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
They have taken your comments into consideration and kindly request you refrain from parking in front of their houses on county road 30A.;-)

:lolabove:

If I wouldn't hit a pedestrian, I'd just close my eyes and drive straight through. Peeking and gawking will soon be outlawed, to accompany parking and flagrant use of the beach pavilions. Dave, you can just toss my tacos and a Corona at me as I drive by.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It was an awesome show tonight. The talent over both weekends was outstanding. My compliments to Kristin Banker and all the staff and volunteers that pulled it off in a short amount of time. There may be some things that will be done differently next time but I can assure you no one on the grass was unhappy.

There were quite a few people hanging out in the cheap seats on the balcony at Central Square Records and Raw & Juicy. :lol:

Photos and video to follow.

#1Volunteer

Beach Comber
May 19, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Regarding "tents"

Since the "Event" is now history, and what a wonderful musical journey thru jazz is was. Awesome musical acts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loved them all! :D

Regarding the "Tents", what is everyone's take on what could be done next time for a paid Seaside music event? Again, you'd have to do something to generate funds for the show. Unfortuantly I think some would sit there chairs/blankets on the parking lot and watch the show for free, rathing than paying and supporting great music. Just a thought.

Walter was awesome and the Nevilles rocked the house......
Peace out.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The tents don't really block the noise - and the folks in the cheap seats at Central Square Records etc. could see right over them.

The big issues (for me at least) with the tents was that they weren't used, took up parking spaces, and were a wall of white. Banners, advertising, local merchant's displays would have made them blend and been more inviting.

Blank wall vs. a poster/banner advertising the artist, future events etc.

If I had my druthers, I would move the tents off the sidewalk (and have smaller tents) and put a vending space on the backside - just attach a metal grid to the framework and you could sell jewelry, art, t-shirts, etc. That would encourage pedestrian traffic, free up parking spaces, and be more visually inviting.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
If the event is for charity, or even a portion of the proceeds go to charity (the more local the charity the better), then this fact should be out front and center by publicizing it well. I believe most people are honest, caring, and good-natured (at least in SoWal, especially when they are on vacation). If people know about the charity you're probably going to get a very high rate of paid attendees. If 10% or so of the people are never going to pay and are going to hang around the edges, then so be it. Maybe they will spend a little with the merchants, or buy a Tee shirt.

And even if there is no charity involved I think the large majority will do the right thing and pay if you have it set up properly. Booths at every major ingress between buildings and on 30A. Paid attendees get a bracelet. Have roaming greeters to approach folks without bracelets and direct them to the ticket booths. If this is done in a thorough and friendly way on the first day word will get around and those who haven't paid will be more inclined to line up.

The only tents that are needed are medical, souveniers, tickets, vendors, etc. Just those will create a separation. In between you can have signs that say, "no entry without ticket" with an arrow to "ticket sales".

The bottom line is make it an open, friendly and welcoming event and people will come in droves and almost all will pay. The festival will make a profit, the majority of homeowners and merchants will be happy, and so will locals and visitors.

Getting locals on board is very important. I know there was limited time to get the whole thing planned and exectuted, and it seemed to go pretty smooth. 30A Radio should be playing the artists leading up to the shows, with maybe an interview or two. Central Square Records should be involved with getting the word out.

Include SoWal.com in your advance marketing, and other marketing thoughout the year, and you will be way ahead of the game. ;-)

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
IMO Seaside Jazz Fest is a grayt thing....however, I wish they would pick up their signs on hwy 98 and 331. There are 2 of them on the north side of the road. (In the ROW)

#1Volunteer

Beach Comber
May 19, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Dear Scooterbug

I totally agree that something promoting the event/merchants/sponsers/etc...could have looked more inviting. However, I heard that the outside of the tents could only have a VERY limited amount of banners or advertising per Seaside.:dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I can certainly understand Seaside not wanting billboard tents, I was thinking more a poster or banner that was maybe a 1/10th of the tent's area or having vendors displaying merchandise there.

NotnKansas

Beach Lover
Aug 3, 2006
SOWAL, FL
Wine festival? I would pay extra to have the wine festival and the concert combined :) I miss the Seaside Spring Wine Festival!