• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Certainly something to think about. The Walton GIS doesn't quite match with what happened during the last several Cat. 3 through and near here though. Really depends on the elevation of the lot and certainly how far back and up one built. The bridge also causes a back up. The new bike bridge could potentially make for a worse environmental event. One day, perhaps, all the bridges and their causeways will be removed from all the dune lakes along 30A. Span bridges would allow the water to flow more naturally up into the north end. The Western side during the last several storms has suffered more than the Eastern side, except up and around some of the canals. All the docks and debris really smashed the west side and the east side was left largely unscathed. So, we have to take the GIS with a grain of salt. But, oops, we're supposed to be taking about oil.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Just imagine at $140 or $200 per barrel.

If/when it goes to 200, I'm buying a horse.

Come to think of it, I could stop cutting the grass as well.. :scratch:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
better also get yourself a mule with which to plow your field to grown your hay, oats and corn for the horse. You might also have to quit your day job to farm, so that you can "fuel" your horse.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
better also get yourself a mule with which to plow your field to grown your hay, oats and corn for the horse. You might also have to quit your day job to farm, so that you can "fuel" your horse.

lol. I don't think I'd have to quit my day job after saving that much money on speeding tickets, red light cameras, INSURANCE, tags, tires, AL DOT fees, etc...

That dang horse would eat like a king.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
As skunky says, increasing supply doesn't do anything to prices in the near-term. Without more ways to refine the oil into gasoline (and that costs $$$$$), we won't see prices fall. If you want to make a real difference, decrease demand -- ie- find ways to stop burning so much oil. That can happen immediately, where increasing supply will take years, and then, is still only limited. Renewable sources and free sources seem much more versatile.

It only takes one to get the ball rolling...

http://gas2.org/2008/06/04/new-south-dakota-oil-refinery-one-step-closer-to-reality/

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
I have a stupid question. When an oil well is "dry", does it leave a big empty hole underground or does it fill back up with something else?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
i remember reading that they pump it full of water to make the oil rise to the top to squeak out every bit of oil, but I don't know if that is true for each well, or each company.

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
I have a stupid question. When an oil well is "dry", does it leave a big empty hole underground or does it fill back up with something else?

here ya go ll. i googled it for ya. is this the answer you're looking for?

During the drill a well completion form must be filled out and submitted to the state recording all the pertinent data including the well depth and the result. If the well is a dry hole a plugging and filling form must be completed indicating how the hole was plugged. This allows us to drill another well within the 400 foot spacing normally required between producing wells.

more info here:

http://www.mammothresource.com/oil_101.htm

Last edited:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I used to work the oil fields of ND in a previous life.
There are two difinitions of a dry well.
The first one is when a well is drilled intending to become an oil well and they do not discover enough oil to make it economically feasible to bring it to the surface, this is called a dry hole and it is usually just capped off and abandoned.

The second one is after a well has been producing, sometimes for many years and the amount of oil declines to the point of the previous definition. Sometimes they do insert water, CO2 and other ideas to increase the pressure in the well, the permeability of the rock the oil is located in, etc in an effort to increase production.

It's all about money. There are literally thousands of oil wells in the US that have never been put into production because the cost to process the oil remains higher than they can sell it for. I'll bet there are a bunch of US oil companies looking real hard at all those wells as their time is coming up with the current price of oil.

Do a google on South Dakota and refinery and you'll see that they are pushing for a refinery closer to all those wells out in the badlands.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Someone was telling me there are a bunch of LA oil wells that they stopped using because of cost. Apparently the magic number for those wells was $80 barrel, so I am guessing that the oil companies will be reopening some.