• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Religulous

New posts
Both "Fireproof" a christian themed movie and "An American CArol" a movie making fun of liberals beat Maher's effort at the box office. Seems like America may be full of right wing zealots.:floor:

And this is exactly a point that I share with Maher. Religion is pervasive in this country and only a minority question it. I don't think it is funny I think it is scary...
 
Geo: this thread topic isn't for CCK. I can respect that. come on - If you do not really watch B. Maher, you only know him to be crass and cranky and evil. and a pot smoker. and now he has this movie out that is supposedly anti-religion. what are non-Bill fans suppose to think? they are getting their news from totally different sources. I am sure some religious groups/churches are in an uproar - haven't heard about that part yet though.

I truly get CCK and others:wub:. all I have to do is think of Rush (which is why I brought his silly name up in the first place) and I can so relate to their feeling of "gross"!!!!!!!!!. If Rush had a new movie out, I would so not like it even before I knew anything about it.

its a given that folks live on different sides of the great divide. but the divide isn't so great really.

we need lots of smart people with wonderful character like CCK coming from all perspectives. I know CCK. She brings a lot to the table. She is not happy right now though. and we need to lighten up and we need to send her a wonderful gift certificate for a massage and a pedicure. and a limo and movie tickets... ha ha.
 
Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't get it. I forgot that I was on SoWal and those with "dissenting" viewpoints, who try to rationally and calmly explain or stand up for their views, are being needlessly defensive. Thanks for clearing that up for me :wave:

My whole point in this discussion is that religious bigotry is the only form of bigotry that is still acceptable in America. And to be honest with you, once again I've been sucked into a SoWal thread and Bill Maher is so not worth my time so this is all I'm going to say on the matter. Thanks for listening to a different opinion.

I don't think it's appropriate to to apply the word bigotry to one man's refusal to accept the faith of another any more then the word should be applied to political differences. Religious beliefs are usually well defined as are political beliefs. Are Republicans bigots because they denounce the Democratic Party and vice versa? No, the differences and perhaps dissent of one party towards another are based on differences in opinion, world view, whatever. [Edit] They aren't necessarily based on prejudices or hatred.

Look at Christianity. Am I really a bigot because I dismiss the "belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree? " [author of quote unknown] Before you answer reflect upon your own thoughts about other religions such as Judaism, Islam, Mormonism, Scientology. The problem is that in this country, believers in the predominant religion can't accept the fact that others ain't buying it.

Bottom line is that ridicule and even contempt are not the same as bigotry or hatred. The ridicule comes from the ridiculous nature of the beliefs, and the contempt comes from having them shoved in your face and being told it's taboo to express true feelings about the ridiculousness.
 
Last edited:
Wow. That was great. An absolute masterpiece!
Maher couldn't have said it better himself. Great post...
 
Bill Maher;s Religulous

I checked on the correct spelling for the move. I saw Bill Maher talking about it yesterday and it sounded to me as if it had 2 L;s. I'll email Maher and tell him we're trapped in the Bible Belt and plead for a copy to rent. If I get it I'll bring it down and Free the Bible Belt Prisoners. You know the ultimate irony, is that banning anything just increases demand.
 
Wow. That was great. An absolute masterpiece!
Maher couldn't have said it better himself. Great post...

Thank you. I had to go back and edit a bit just now and give due credit because a segment is some anonymous quote that's been out there on the Internet for a while.
 
Thank you. I had to go back and edit a bit just now and give due credit because a segment is some anonymous quote that's been out there on the Internet for a while.

Then I have to go back and edit my praise...

haha
 
Bill Maher is a very smart person and I for one, would like to see his movie.

NOT because I am a religious bigot w/ no soul, but because it is supposed to be both humorous and educational. :wave:

Why are the people who get the most upset about something, the people who typically know the least about it and are the most closeminded?

P.s. God says that you need faith AND humor to get through life!
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top