• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NewUrbanGirl

Beach Lover
Feb 4, 2006
Has anyone used homeaway.com? I am thinking of switching my vacationrentals.com listing to this one. I realize they are owned by the same company, but wondered if either of them was distinctly better at generating rentals for our neck of the woods. (Of course, this site would be in addition to the sowal.com "rentals" section!) homeaway.com is running a special right now that makes it the same price as vacationrentals.com; normally it is more expensive, so I wondered if it was worth it?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I think you're better off with VRBO. Although I believe there is a discount if you use both.

swantree

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
SRB
www.blueswell.com
VRBO claims to have the most hits on the web of all rental sites of this kind, even beating out its own, homeaway.com. you can go on Alexa.com and put any website in and find out how many hits they are getting. VRBO claims to be generating close to a million hits a month or something like that.
IMO, i think it is more about what people are using word of mouth vs. websites. I would gather that VRBO is very popular in this area vs. homeaway just because it has been around a bit longer. i forsee them merging at some point because of ownership, and getting people to focus on one site vs two. at this point they can't be doing bad because they still get people to sign up for both and that sets you back $299 a site (excluding the special offer). I liken it to ebay buying out Craigslist at some time; offer two levels of service get the same thing basically.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I have not used either as an owner, as we don't rent our property at Hilton Head, but I do love Homeaway's lay out better than VRBO, even though they are now connected. I am have used both as renter and prefer Homeaway.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Has anyone used homeaway.com? I am thinking of switching my vacationrentals.com listing to this one. I realize they are owned by the same company, but wondered if either of them was distinctly better at generating rentals for our neck of the woods. (Of course, this site would be in addition to the sowal.com "rentals" section!) homeaway.com is running a special right now that makes it the same price as vacationrentals.com; normally it is more expensive, so I wondered if it was worth it?

Thanks for the plug and thanks for your business! You help support this site. :love:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
VRBO claims to have the most hits on the web of all rental sites of this kind, even beating out its own, homeaway.com. you can go on Alexa.com and put any website in and find out how many hits they are getting. VRBO claims to be generating close to a million hits a month or something like that.
IMO, i think it is more about what people are using word of mouth vs. websites. I would gather that VRBO is very popular in this area vs. homeaway just because it has been around a bit longer. i forsee them merging at some point because of ownership, and getting people to focus on one site vs two. at this point they can't be doing bad because they still get people to sign up for both and that sets you back $299 a site (excluding the special offer). I liken it to ebay buying out Craigslist at some time; offer two levels of service get the same thing basically.

Alexa.com is only an estimate, and is usually incorrect. Punch in sowal.com and it won't even register even though kurt gets plenty of hits.

VRBO.com has been taking on more and more look and feel of homeaway.com.

I have not used either as an owner, as we don't rent our property at Hilton Head, but I do love Homeaway's lay out better than VRBO, even though they are now connected. I am have used both as renter and prefer Homeaway.

As above, homeaway is slowly replacing the old VRBO layout.

Philip_Atlanta

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2005
www.rosemaryrental.com
VRBO is the most popular site right now and has been for a while, but there are a lot of sites with better functionality for the users (homeaway and their related sites being some of them).

Certainly, sowal.com and affiliated sites (graytonbeach.com) would be a great source for targeted leads.

Additionally, there are new sites that have interesting thoughts, but again not as much traffic. Some are pay for performance. (clearstay.com, bidmyrental.com (local owner), rockbottomvacations.com, thesociety.com, vacapedia.com.

Also, I've often thought craigslist would be good to list on, I've seen some rental agencies do it (Ocean Reef as an example).

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
we use vrbo when searching for cottages....i wish there was a site where i could put in bedrooms baths community date and price and have selections list based on selected data....but i do like that vrbo breaks down into neighborhoods

ckralich

Beach Comber
Jan 7, 2009
Charlotte
This is our first trip to SoWal this year. To find a place to rent I first looked at a map to see where I could get from Charlotte in 10 hours (wife's limit). I then looked on VRBO because that's just what I have always done and a generic Internet search generally takes you to one of their listings. I find VRBO is good for narrowing a search. You can get a good quick idea of what locations are more populated by condos or houses.

However, I find VRBO frustrating because the pictures aren't that great and it just seems tough to navigate. So, I started poking around some more and came across Homeaway.com and in my opinion it is far superior to VRBO. It feels like someone took the concept of VRBO and made it better.

We ended up booking something we found on Homeaway and in the future I will start my searches there. It's much easier.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
If I'm not mistaken, HomeAway either owns VRBO now, or they have partnered. I've noticed that VRBO's format has changed slightly over the past few weeks.