• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Re: New Publix?

I'm sure most of the locals have seen the site construction over the past few weeks but for those of you that don't travel 98 on a regular basis... work HAS FINALLY STARTED! Right now it's just moving dirt around but from previous experience (I'm in construction) look for a late summer to early fall opening as a BEST case scenario, late fall to year end wouldn't be out of the question.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Photo from about a week ago. The site is cleared and infrastructure is already going in. Moving right along. :clap:

publix_srb.jpg

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Not sure why we need yet another Publlix - they are going to end up canabalizing themselves!

No they won't. Publix doesn't build without a need. While it might be slow during the winter months it will alleviate some of the congestion at the Grand Boulevard and WaterColor stores.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Not sure why we need yet another Publlix - they are going to end up canabalizing themselves!

No they won't. Publix doesn't build without a need. While it might be slow during the winter months it will alleviate some of the congestion at the Grand Boulevard and WaterColor stores.

I am happy in some ways and agree with Chickpea in others. Also, it makes it harder on Ed & Rachel at For the Health of It because it's closer to them. It will make the craziness that occurs during season less of a stress, though.

At least it's not a Piggly Wiggly....:rotfl: No offense, used to shop at one, but Publix actually stocks most of what we buy on our weird, gluten-free, organic, hippified diet.:wave:

"Progress" is both a blessing and a curse.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't see a need for another Publix so close to the others, but they probably know better than me. :dunno:

Seems like the Starbucks model - build them EVERYWHERE, even across the street from another one.

HeyJude

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008

I agree - it's a risk BUT the upside is that they have the corner of the grocery store market in South Walton which, if they can survive the down economy right now, will prove to be a hugely successful bet.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Does anyone know if this one will have a pharmacy?

I'm personally excited. I do think that Freeport needs one more urgently than we do, but they are the marketing experts.

btw, I :love: the music they play at the Watercolor Publix. Just right for a retro 70's / 80's 40-something frequent shopper!

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
I :love: the music they play at the Watercolor Publix. Just right for a retro 70's / 80's 40-something frequent shopper!

They changed the music over to 70's a few months ago. It used to be all 80's, all the time. Nothing like shopping to "Hey Mickey".

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
A couple years back, the Destin store had the Grateful Dead on a fairly regular rotation during snowbird season. There were several time I found myself bouncing along to 'Truckin' in the produce section.