• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I don't believe a short sale adversely affects your credit if you pay off the difference.

I'm pretty sure a "short sale" will be a hard-sell to the bank if (a) it is an "investment" property; (b) you've got other assets that can be tapped; and (3) you're not hard-up for a buck and can't prove "financial hardship"

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm pretty sure a "short sale" will be a hard-sell to the bank if (a) it is an "investment" property; (b) you've got other assets that can be tapped; and (3) you're not hard-up for a buck and can't prove "financial hardship"

I guess the term short sale isn't the correct one if the owner sells it short and then takes on a loan for the difference, what would that be called? Student Loan to SOHN?

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach

Actually SWGB is right. Maybe its not a short sale, but the bottom line is that the investment is a dog and she should get out. With all due respect to Laurel Hill residents, the value will probably never get back to what she paid for the lot given the location. My advice based on considerble experience would be to contact the bank and let them know your situation. First and foremost, let them know unequivicolly that you continuing to pay 11k per month in perpetuity is not an option. If you give them any kind of clue that you will do this, they will lean on you to do it. You two(you and bank) have to come to a conclusion as to what the lot will sell for. If its 40 or 50k less than what you owe on it, dump it and apply the 11k annually to the note that is left over. Negotiate a low interest rate and favorable terms. 4% on something like this is pretty customary believe it or not. This may sound crazy but every day you wait is more money that you are pissing away. Two years will go by fast and you will be halfway home. Laurel Hill will still be Laurel Hill and you will probably be able to replace that lot for 60k or so if you really want to. I have worked out similar deals and have lots of friends that have done the same. Most banks with the exception of Whitney Bank, realize that the situation is what it is and everyone needs to work together to get out of it. I know of a situation where a gentleman settled a potential $2,000,000 deficit with a bank for 10% of that with the bank knowing of his having $1,000,000 equity in a gulf front property. They just wanted to get past it. If you are lucky, you are dealing with this kind of bank. I know it sounds crazy but if you are willing to work it out with the bank, you are in the minority and they will usually deal with you. PM me if you want more specific information but with the information that you have given, I can tell you that this is a salvageable situation. Good luck.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Crestview may come back sooner than later with the 11,000 new Eglin AFB peeps coming in.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Though when you're talking Crestview there's a huge difference between South of I-10 and northward or westward getting out toward Baker or Laurel Hill when it comes to having a desirable commute to base. South of I-10 is tolerable; any point past the high school will be a nightmare until there's an actual Crestview bypass built.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Actually SWGB is right. Maybe its not a short sale, but the bottom line is that the investment is a dog and she should get out. With all due respect to Laurel Hill residents, the value will probably never get back to what she paid for the lot given the location. My advice based on considerble experience would be to contact the bank and let them know your situation. First and foremost, let them know unequivicolly that you continuing to pay 11k per month in perpetuity is not an option. If you give them any kind of clue that you will do this, they will lean on you to do it. You two(you and bank) have to come to a conclusion as to what the lot will sell for. If its 40 or 50k less than what you owe on it, dump it and apply the 11k annually to the note that is left over. Negotiate a low interest rate and favorable terms. 4% on something like this is pretty customary believe it or not. This may sound crazy but every day you wait is more money that you are pissing away. Two years will go by fast and you will be halfway home. Laurel Hill will still be Laurel Hill and you will probably be able to replace that lot for 60k or so if you really want to. I have worked out similar deals and have lots of friends that have done the same. Most banks with the exception of Whitney Bank, realize that the situation is what it is and everyone needs to work together to get out of it. I know of a situation where a gentleman settled a potential $2,000,000 deficit with a bank for 10% of that with the bank knowing of his having $1,000,000 equity in a gulf front property. They just wanted to get past it. If you are lucky, you are dealing with this kind of bank. I know it sounds crazy but if you are willing to work it out with the bank, you are in the minority and they will usually deal with you. PM me if you want more specific information but with the information that you have given, I can tell you that this is a salvageable situation. Good luck.

This is really good advice. In fact this may be worth a new thread. There are tons of people in situations like you describe. These deals that you talk about -- in what instances are there impacts on credit? If the seller gets a great rate from the original bank on the remaining balance (when there is no official collateral), and pays it off, is it possible to keep your stellar credit?

I agree that getting out is a great idea if the original poster is not emotionally invested in the property or even sure whether he or she will use it. It will do wonders for peace of mind.