• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I passed the Mirimar accident on my way home today...it did not look that bad...I am sorry that it was that bad....:sosad:
When I was on my way to work this morning I was passed on the opposite side of 98 (I was headed to Destin) by several fire trucks and EMS trucks...I just knew there must be an accident...but that was too late for it to be the SRB accident. Was there something else this morning?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I have noticed the driving to be a little more aggressive in Miramar the last week or so. There have been cops shooting radar in the HWY 98 neutral ground by Backyard Burger, but I can't believe this helps much.

teamc

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2009
seatbelts are definitely important, but another issue at hand is the lack of a certified trauma unit in the area. EMTs are only meant to stabilize a patient until they can be transported to a trauma unit and currently patients have to be lifeflighted to the nearest one - pensacola- which for many crash victims is simply too late.

Lake Eastern

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Walton County

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
I have noticed the driving to be a little more aggressive in Miramar the last week or so. There have been cops shooting radar in the HWY 98 neutral ground by Backyard Burger, but I can't believe this helps much.

:lolabove: You said neutral ground. To all non-New Orleanians, that's the median.

Arkiehawg

Beach Fanatic
Jul 14, 2007
SoWal
seatbelts are definitely important, but another issue at hand is the lack of a certified trauma unit in the area. EMTs are only meant to stabilize a patient until they can be transported to a trauma unit and currently patients have to be lifeflighted to the nearest one - pensacola- which for many crash victims is simply too late.

Bay Medical Center and Ft. Walton Beach Medical Center are currently going through the review process for Level 2 Trauma Center status. IMO, BMC will be certified before the end of the year.

BTW....no disrespect, but the EMS units in this area are all Advance Life Support with excellent Paramedics (not EMTs) on them. They are as capable as any physician in airway management, cardiac monitoring/interpretation and fluid replacement. What they do lack is the capability of surgical intervention.

Final note.....(being picky) The primary helicopters in the FWB-PCB area are Air Methods Florida (Gulflight and Air Heart) not lifeflight (Baptist/Pensacola). They are located at Twin Cities Hospital in Niceville and the DeFuniak Springs Airport....

FloridaBuckeye

Beach Lover
Sep 4, 2008
Thankful

On the 8th of February, I had personal experience with the EMTs and the medical staff at Twin Cities Hospital. I can not say enough good things about them. My brother needed emergency surgery for a ruputured aneurysm. He was first taken care of by the Fire/Emergency crew for North Bay Unit in Bluewater Bay, transported to TC and then Life Flight'd to Northwest Regional Medical Center. Everyone was awesome and he lived. Only 10-15 percent of people with his type of aneurysm ever make it to surgery! Only one experience like that, but have not one complaint!

Bay Medical Center and Ft. Walton Beach Medical Center are currently going through the review process for Level 2 Trauma Center status. IMO, BMC will be certified before the end of the year.

BTW....no disrespect, but the EMS units in this area are all Advance Life Support with excellent Paramedics (not EMTs) on them. They are as capable as any physician in airway management, cardiac monitoring/interpretation and fluid replacement. What they do lack is the capability of surgical intervention.

Final note.....(being picky) The primary helicopters in the FWB-PCB area are Air Methods Florida (Gulflight and Air Heart) not lifeflight (Baptist/Pensacola). They are located at Twin Cities Hospital in Niceville and the DeFuniak Springs Airport....

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't think the trauma unit location/certification level is a big contributing factor in the death rate.

I DO think inattentive people driving like bats out of hail, under the influence, and groups of teenagers allowed in cars together after drinking parties thrown by school staff are big contributing factors!!! :angry: