• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
TFT, I have no idea what bit you, but Skunky's right about scorpions. And from sticking my hand in a paper grocery sack that had been stored under my mom's kitchen sink, I can tell you they hurt like hail.

Scorpions like pine trees. We had problems with them when we moved to Freeport. We cleared the pine trees from our lot (for different reasons - ie to keep one from coming through the window in a hurricane and so as not to attract lightning) and the scorpions went away.

Didn't make the rattlesnakes go away, but at least the scorpions were gone. :roll:

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
ICK. I am sorry you were bitten. Hope it feels better. Repellant all around for everyone. Heck I'm starting to itch here at my computer just hearing about all those creatures.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Is there any chance it could have been a brown recluse spider? The way you describe the reaction to the bite sure sounds like it could have been one but then I don't know their habitat habits.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Is there any chance it could have been a brown recluse spider? The way you describe the reaction to the bite sure sounds like it could have been one but then I don't know their habitat habits.

Oh gosh, I hope not. Whatever you do, do not google images of that spider. :eek:

Hope you feel better soon and if it does get worse, get medical attention.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach

Wouldn't be a likely habitat for the Brown Recluse. It prefers darker places like in basements for example. I remember seeing the "shells" of Brown Recluses in the basement of a home in Illinois. We took a trip to see them in a college entomology course. The empty shell just looks like a tan spider hanging there. :eek:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Oh gosh, I hope not. Whatever you do, do not google images of that spider. :eek:
Hope you feel better soon and if it does get worse, get medical attention.

Well, of course I did, and eww. But no that wasn't it. It was very compact.

Whatever it was, the bite was much better yesterday and is almost all better today. I'm glad to know that whatever it was doesn't seem to be common, so maybe it was just bad luck and not something that I need to worry about every time I set foot on the beach.

We'll be on the lookout for antlions and will make sure to bring the repellant. Thanks all. :wave: