• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
This article was in the Walton Sun, and I think we should help her out. She has the House of Art in Grayton Beach, and has always been most helpful. A house warming shower would be a good idea. Anyone interested? It was a miracle that she wasn't injured, or even her dogs!

Article Window

Lightning strikes Mack Bayou home

By Deborah Wheeler
debbie_wheeler@link.freedom.com

Lisa Hinds has lived in coastal areas all her life but never incurred any damage from storms until Monday morning.
Hinds was in her second-floor bedroom at her Mack Bayou home during the heavy rains, along with her dogs, Lola and Ricco.
When the storm worsened, Hinds gathered up the pups and went downstairs to turn off electronics. The three then curled up on the sofa to wait for the storm to pass.
About 10 minutes later, Hinds heard a loud boom and saw pieces of her framed artwork that had been hanging in the stairwell come flying down the stairs.
?All the smoke detectors went off, and I immediately smelled smoke,? said Hinds. ?I picked up the dogs and ran to the back door. The yard was scattered with debris from the house. I ran outside and smoke was billowing from the house, but I couldn?t tell if it was a tree or if it was the house.?
She frantically dialed 911.
?Lola, Ricco and I stood on the porch soaking wet, and lightning was all over the place. I ran to the garage, opened the door and looked back at my home. All I could see were red flames in my bedroom upstairs,? she said.
Hinds learned later that lightning had struck her home, entering the southwest corner of her second-floor closet and traveling along her metal clothing rod to other places in the house.
Tuesday morning, her house still reeked of a burn odor as she pointed to the broken glass in the downstairs hallway, burned electrical wall sockets, broken picture frames and debris littering the outside. What was most heartbreaking, though, was finding the black burn mark left on her son?s baby blanket.
?I didn?t save many mementos from my boys? childhood. The blankets I brought them home from the hospital in was one of the few,? she said. ?That can?t be replaced.?
Hinds and her dogs are now homeless and looking for a place to live.
?They say it will take about six months to get my home livable,? she said.
So far, she knows that the roof needs to be replaced, as do electrical wiring, appliances and electronics.
?It was a strange day. But I?m safe, and my doggies are safe. I was told that if I had been upstairs when it hit, I would be dead. I believe everything happens for a reason,? she said. ?It just all feels surreal.?

DEBORAH WHEELER | The Sun
Lisa Hinds holds son Justin?s baby blanket to show the streak left by the lightning strike on Monday.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Are we really shocked that florida girl just discovered this?

For someone who advertises "gay boy", it is difficult to understand how you want equality and freedom of speech for yourself, but not for anyone who doesn't necessarily agree with you. Kind of reminiscent of white supremist, or Jihad? Agree, or else? Intolerance works both ways, and has a funny way of coming back around to bite you.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
For someone who advertises "gay boy", it is difficult to understand how you want equality and freedom of speech for yourself, but not for anyone who doesn't necessarily agree with you. Kind of reminiscent of white supremist, or Jihad? Agree, or else? Intolerance works both ways, and has a funny way of coming back around to bite you.

Congratulations on your first ever thoughtful and insightful post. Keep 'em coming.

Lisa_at_the_beach

Beach Fanatic
Nov 25, 2004
SoWal
Thanks Florida Girl. Your kind words are much appreciated as are everyone else that has written, emailed, texted and phoned. I've learned many lessons over this past week....I've always heard in the face of disaster you will find your true friends....

Some of you may or may not know but I collect mid-century furniture, art, clothing, etc. All of which is irreplaceable......how do you put a value on a one of a kind dress from 1953? or a chaise lounge from the mid 60's? It's really been a hard week for me. I think I was in shock for a while and just now realizing what has happened. I am numb.

I'm trying to work again between trips to the house to meet with people. This morning I arrived at the gallery. There was a vintage lime green chair from the 60's and this note from friends I've only met a few weeks ago....

"We were concerned to hear of your home fire. I am thankful you were not hurt, no, make that not injured. I know you were hurt. I have found that it is during these times that you find your Real Friends. It is my prayer that those that care for you will Care For You. Please know that these acts of kindness are God's way of showing He Loves You.....

I'm blessed that I'm okay, my doggies are fine...I have two wonderful sons....one of which is packing to come back to the beach after 7 months in Vail. It's the longest I've gone without seeing him. It's the one thing at the moment that I have to look forward to.

Again, thanks for all the kind words. I pray that none of you have to go thru anything like this, especially alone.

Oh, and for those of you that seem to think I need to become a blonde again....My hair now happens to be my natural color. It's the color of hair that God intended me to have at this age. I can no long afford 200.00 trips to the beauty salon. I'm sorry if people are used to me being blonde....my hair color is the least of my priorities at the moment.

FloridaBuckeye

Beach Lover
Sep 4, 2008
Us natural brunettes have to stick together!! As I've said before, I've been through it and it gets easier with time. As you said, you have two awesome sons and your pets made it out, that is the very most important part!!! Just think, I had to live with my in-laws for about 6 weeks and pregnant after the fire! If I can do that...I know you can do it!! : ) It's great to have such good friends right now..so important!

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I still think it would be great to have a get together, maybe at the gallery(?) and bring house warming things? There are so many things we often take for granted and use all the time. Who knows, maybe someone will find something special in your art collection to bring home with them. I think what we need to know is whether the place you have now is furnished completely? What do you need?