• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

whatduh

Beach Lover
Oct 2, 2007
Well after listening to the meeting yesterday it seems to me that the main problem is the wedding partys being held in residential neighborhoods. I totally agree ... these people who are putting on these weddings are making a butt load of money turning a residential house into a commercial business at the expense of their neighbors ... I'd be pissed too. But who gets arrested???? Not the "Holyer than tho" beachfront "home" owners, the ones who are causing this whole problem.. no, it's some 22 year old kid trying to do a job at a club. I've been here since 1984 and it's always the same old thing... the beachfront home owners can do no wrong...when it comes to lights on the beach they refuse to cooperate for the sake of the turtles, they would rather see an endangered species baby's run over on 30A than turn off their frikin porch lights... its the same thing here with the noize... they have a good money making thing going with these wedding partys and the commissioners wont stop them because they don't want to upset them. Now they are going to pass this ordinance and squash the entire entertainment industry throughout the whole county instead of concentrating on the ones who are causing the problem in the first place. We have some great local talent here and it could be a great asset to the community and local economy. People don't want to set around and watch TV when their on vacation... they can do that at home!!!! They want to go out and hear a good live band krankin out the tunes...!!! The idea of arresting our young people over this is disgusting.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
This noise ordinance is totally ridiculous. This is why everyone leaves Walton County to spend their money in Okaloosa and Bay Counties because of this ridiculous antiquated "ordinance". This is a resort community and if people can't get what they are looking for in the form of entertainment, they will quit coming, staying and spending their money. Music soothes the soul and sells the liquor (and food)! I was at a local sports bar recently on 98 listening to a rock/blues band playing and the Walton County Sheriff Deputy came in and threatened to take the owner (a woman) to jail if the band didn't shut down. It was 11:00 on a Sat. night. It ruined everyone's night, not to mention the business it cost the bar owners. Shame on you people. COMMISSIONER'S...WAKE UP.

I think everyone is leaving Walton County to go play Goofy Golf and eat at McDonald's. Wake up and we can enjoy that sales tax also.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I think everyone is leaving Walton County to go play Goofy Golf and eat at McDonald's. Wake up and we can enjoy that sales tax also.

The Miramar Beach McDonald's (in Walton County) is about 15 minutes from Grayton. That is close enough for anyone who is really dying for a square of fried pressed fish mush or a Big Mac. Fast food adds nothing to our community except obesity, minimum wage jobs and litter while live music, done in a manner that doesn't disturb the peace, adds life and character.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
Then

Wouldnt it make sense to not locate your home next to somewhere where you KNOW there is going to be music? Why does this seem like common sense to me?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Wouldnt it make sense to not locate your home next to somewhere where you KNOW there is going to be music? Why does this seem like common sense to me?

Okay those people are pretty dumb. But what about those where the homes were their first? Then someone comes in, buys a huge monster house, then turns it into a wedding chapel.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Okay those people are pretty dumb. But what about those where the homes were their first? Then someone comes in, buys a huge monster house, then turns it into a wedding chapel.

I think everybody is in agreement on the whole wedding house thing. It's the inconsistencies in how complaints are dealt with when it comes to long standing bars / restaurants that have always had entertainment. Let's have one discussion at a time...

Grayton Girl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
Sowal
OK, I am finally going to weigh in on this topic. Here is my opinion:

As a long-time resident of Grayton and Seagrove (is 50 years as a part- and full-time resident long enough?), I believe that this issue has nothing to do with “saving the music” and it has nothing to do with anyone wanting to put musicians out of business. I would bet that most of the complainers (whether they are complaining about loud music, loud crowds, loud dogs barking, or whatever) enjoy live music, just like everyone else. I don’t think that anyone wants to run live music out of South Walton so please, stop panicking.

Rather, this issue has everything to do with when and how live music is presented. It also has everything to do with how to be a good neighbor.

When a commercial establishment chooses to locate itself in a Neighborhood Preservation area (such as Grayton, Blue Mountain, Seagrove, Dune Allen), those commercial establishments have a duty to coexist peacefully with the neighbors. The establishments that I have read about, Pandoras and the former Snapperheads, are not located in Town Center or Mixed Use, nor are they part of a large community plan (or DRI’s) such as Seaside, Rosemary, Watercolor, etc.

Instead, these bar/restaurants are located in neighborhoods and directly adjacent to previously existing residential lots. Contrary to what has been stated on this board, all of the residential lots and most of the homes adjacent and near to these businesses were in existence long before Pandora’s or the Salty Dog/Snapperheads ever even opened for business.

In my opinion, a commercial establishment that chooses to do business in a neighborhood should keep its noise within the confines of the establishment. Ollie at the Red Bar seems to have no trouble doing this. He has his music inside, every day, the windows are closed, and there are no noise issues due to live music around the Red Bar.

What happens is that establishments such as Pandora’s and Snapperheads usually start as restaurants. OK, fine, Then they add live music. First, the music is inside. No problem. But then they decide to move the music outside to attract more business and to open up space inside for diners or bar patrons. They either start to amplify this music or it is played at a level where the adjoining neighbors are unable to enjoy their own lives on their own properties. So what was initially an “ok” situation (from the residents’ perspective) gradually turns into a very difficult situation to live with.

The residents of Grayton put up with a lot, especially with regard to traffic, and we all love living in Grayton. But the things that make Grayton so wonderful – its cool, funky cottages, its small shops and local restaurants, and its beach community feel – also require a balance between those who want to make a buck off Grayton and those who actually live in this cool and hip community. Grayton and Blue Mountain (and other small and quaint neighborhoods) should not be the home of loud late-night bars because such uses are not consistent with neighborhood-scale commercial uses (and under our Comprehensive Plan, neighborhood-scale commercial uses are the only types of uses that are authorized in the Residential Preservation category).

I have heard sowallers telling those who complain to put earplugs in or to lighten up and start enjoying life. But I will tell you that until you have dealt with an ongoing noise problem yourself, you cannot understand how distracting it can be and how unhappy it can make you. I would also bet that few of the “sowal critics” are full-time residents who live near these live music venues; rather they come to these neighborhood bars to enjoy the music and then head back to the confines of their quiet homes – very easy to say “live with it.”

My hope is that the establishments that are causing the problems would get some good business sense and just take their music inside and tone it down a little. Be a good neighbor and you will be welcomed into the neighborhood. (If everyone acted like good neighbors, there would be no need for any noise ordinances at all, but unfortunately, that is not the case.) Furthermore, I hope that there might be more interest in opening music venues in purely commercial areas – say along 98 in business districts and town centers. Those establishments could stay open late and have loud bands without any complaints.

Thank you for the opportunity to post my opinion and for reading my perspective on the "real" problem.

Last edited: