• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
I'm a shell hound and a couple of years ago we went to Shell Island for a half day, it was Auguest and hotter than the face of the sun and the shells weren't very plentiful.

A couple of folks have mentioned Mexico Beach for shelling and we've been interested in seeing what's on the other side of PCB so we thought we'd go. Does anyone have any rec's on where to go shelling around Mexico Beach?
thanks ahead!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Cape San Blas and Indian Pass will have the most shells in that area.

Oh- there is a pontoon/ferry from Indian Pass to St. Vincent's, but we found that the shelling was better at St. Joseph's Peninsula State Park- and you don't have to pay the $10 per person to ride a pontoon boat for 100 yards.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
p5310216_s.jpg

I found plenty of shells today ... on this little strip of beach:

pano_crooked_island_s.jpg

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Crooked Island is the best place near Mexico Beach. You go through Tyndall on 98 and there is a dirt road on your right, right before you get to Mexico Beach. Google it beforehand because it's not easy to find. We took a bunch of kids last year and they got a ton of shells.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Ask me again the next time you see me, and I'll give you the low down. Keeping it on the down-low, so that there will always be plenty of shells and few people.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Ask me again the next time you see me, and I'll give you the low down. Keeping it on the down-low, so that there will always be plenty of shells and few people.

Now, that's just plain mean--you aren't playing fair. Posting such a beautiful shot and then leaving us out. I'm :shock:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005

Now, that's just plain mean--you aren't playing fair. Posting such a beautiful shot and then leaving us out. I'm shocked and :cry::cry:

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Crooked Island is the best place near Mexico Beach. You go through Tyndall on 98 and there is a dirt road on your right, right before you get to Mexico Beach. Google it beforehand because it's not easy to find. We took a bunch of kids last year and they got a ton of shells.

If you do go to Crooked Island, go east along the beach towards Mexico Beach and you'll find bigger shells.