• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Is a car really considered "broken into" if it is unlocked?

Chalk up the money taken as tuition to the School of Hard Knocks.

In this economy, if you don't want it stolen...lock it up. We're no longer the Mayberry RFD you've come to know and love over the past few years.
Yes, because the person is trespassing on your property. Of course, technically it's probably not "breaking" in. If you leave your house unlocked and someone comes in and steals something, are they innocent?

Reminds me of a student of mine who was just messing around on the Internet. He happened upon a Department of Defense website that had no password and looked at it. The FBI visited the dean's office. He was questioned at length and got in a lot of trouble. His argument was that it wasn't his fault that the site had no security. He lost that argument.

We frequently forget to lock the car (old codgers) -- not the house because I am very OCD about that. Once hubby left the car unlocked at Borago. He used to keep his gas credit cards in the console. When we got ready to get gas when leaving town, the credit cards were gone. Then he noticed that his nice sunglasses were gone. Now he doesn't keep credit cards in the car.

We're getting better about locking the car although sometimes I accidentally leave mine unlocked because I'll press lock on his opener instead of mine.:blush:

Even more embarrassing, several times I have been so tired when arriving at work that I've tried to use the remote opener for my car to unlock my office door. :rotfl:

Yzarctoo

Beach Fanatic
Mar 6, 2009
Seems I wasn't the only one that had a "few uninvited guests" enter their PARKED property last night...seems that these uninvited guests caught a lot of us trusting folks with our doors unlocked...as far as keeping money in a car...mine was change and a few dollar bills that I kept in console for an emergency...nothing big or major. So for all those who pointed out my lack of smarts about leaving money in an unlocked car...trust me...I know that was a dumb move... and really didn't need to be reminded of it... for the most part our cars are locked nightly...perhaps it wasn't a legal break in...but it certainly was entering property without permission....a violation in any language.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Don't be so shocked about an unlocked car. I've owned several convertibles; in certain situations I've left the car unlocked because I didn't want to risk a slashed top.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
We're not condoning that someone stole from you - just pointing out that money left in plain sight in an unlocked place is sort of like asking for it.

Others have had Ipods, cell chargers, surfboards etc. stolen from their unlocked cars or garages - it happens in waves and coincides w/ major holidays.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
Do most of you lock your cars at home?

I lock my car everytime I get out of it, whether it is at home in my drive, store, work, anywhere. I never leave it unlocked. I do it mainly for safety reasons. I have a fear of getting in my car and someone being in it. I know, I know....but still. And, I have a lot of CD's in my car that I really like and I don't want them stolen.

Sorry this happened to you.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Seems I wasn't the only one that had a "few uninvited guests" enter their PARKED property last night...seems that these uninvited guests caught a lot of us trusting folks with our doors unlocked...as far as keeping money in a car...mine was change and a few dollar bills that I kept in console for an emergency...nothing big or major. So for all those who pointed out my lack of smarts about leaving money in an unlocked car...trust me...I know that was a dumb move... and really didn't need to be reminded of it... for the most part our cars are locked nightly...perhaps it wasn't a legal break in...but it certainly was entering property without permission....a violation in any language.

I was certainly not trying to make you feel dumb. Trust only gets one so far, unfortunately. I do remember a thread about this very thing just about a year ago in Seagrove, so your post is a good reminder to lock up and take valuables inside!

Do most of you lock your cars at home?

You betcha'! And, I have such a habit of locking doors behind me, that I have locked Mr. K out of the house multiple times. :D

If I'm leaving it out in the driveway for a time and not putting it in the garage. The local weekly paper publishes the police blotter, and the number one crime in the area is 'items taken from unlocked vehicle'

Same thing here. It is amazing the number of people that leave purses, computers and wallets in plain view.