• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Perhaps Alys Beach is trying to acquire that Aquaterra site? THAT would be a blessing--that site is an eyesore. I'd bet $$ that Alys Beach is responsible for painting over (multiple times) the graffiti on the "bridge to nowhere" at Aquaterra.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
How do you think all this land was cleared? And the dunes leveled? I've been out this way for over 35 years and I guarantee chain-dragging and bulldozing was the call of the day. Developing land is like making sausage " you may like the result, but you don't want to see it made". My term "old forest growth" was what I called the area between Alys Beach and Rosemary Beach north of the highway. While it may not be the proper term, it was here long before anything else. To destroy our environment, then build it back to be eco-friendly and sustainable is absurd and apparently very expensive. Haven't you seen all the sad,empty developments along 30A? Not good for the environment or the bottom line.

Bobskunk

Beach Lover
Jan 14, 2008
Other purposes

How many people realize that Jason and his crew are attempting to gain approval to expand development at Alys Beach by over a third? This will continue to put more and more stress on traveling 30 A for the only purpose of putting more cash in thier pockets.

I am trying to sympathize, but are there a lot of other motives out there for developers other than making money?

I am like most in that once I got here, I would have loved for the development to have stopped. The people who get here next year are going to be hoping that there is not further development. If it is inevitable, I would prefer something like Alys Beach rather than some of the other catastrophes that I have seen along 30-A.

lerxst

Beach Fanatic
Jul 24, 2008
How do you think all this land was cleared? And the dunes leveled? I've been out this way for over 35 years and I guarantee chain-dragging and bulldozing was the call of the day. Developing land is like making sausage " you may like the result, but you don't want to see it made". My term "old forest growth" was what I called the area between Alys Beach and Rosemary Beach north of the highway. While it may not be the proper term, it was here long before anything else. To destroy our environment, then build it back to be eco-friendly and sustainable is absurd and apparently very expensive. Haven't you seen all the sad,empty developments along 30A? Not good for the environment or the bottom line.

Well, I guess I disagree with your choice of terms. I was employed by Rosemary Beach since there were only 2 houses there and I don't recall anything near an old growth forest. The North side was a desert of dead and burned trees (so much so that all you could see were the lot markers delineating property lines, before any clearing was done) and the south side was populated by sparse scrub oak.
I can see all the "dead in the water" developments and spec homes left for weeds to grow, but I would not compare successful developments like Rosemary Alys and Seaside with these.
And again, to say that "dunes were leveled" is a mystery to me, where??

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Chain drag the Old Growth Forest?? Really? I thought that area was decimated by a forest fire? Never heard about this.. Don't know any developers that would chain drag an old growth forest around here..

Unfortunately pretty much every acre of old growth has long since been destroyed by the lumber companies. The only place you'll find it is near the bayou.

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
Alys Beach

I'm sure the "master plan" has the mark of being green and enviromentally sensitive and a walkway heaven and haven to wildlife that is cute and non-threatening and non-invasive, but the truth will always be that the need for $$ will far, far out weigh any of those cuddy feelings and drawings and paragraphs in the developers materials. IMHO again. I wish it were not so, but it will be so. Eventually.

If you want to have a fit about developers, there are quite a few I would suggest before Alys Beach.

Alys Beach continuing to slowly develop its original master plan certainly doesn't upset me. They are a great addition to the community.

Other developers clear cut sites, have been fined for a variety of environmental violations, have been involved in election fraud, follow the letter, not the spirit of the law ....................... you get the idea.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I am not saying that Alys Beach is not supposed to make a profit at the end of the day, I am saying that it is ridiculous to be criticizing one of the few developers who is doing a good job when there are so many truly HORRIBLE developers out there RUINING our environment and community in their quest for the dollar.

There is a right and wrong way to go about things - Alys is doing it the right way and should be applauded for that.

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
lerxst, I have already stated old growth forest was an incorrect term. My apology. When I camped in those very woods many years ago, it was older than anything else around here. Those woods you call a desert of dead and burned trees were more interesting and beautiful than what has been stuck on that site now. What passes for development in these parts is referred to elsewhere as destruction. And as far as dunes, you could literally walk (legally and without hassle) the length of 30A and never step off a dune . I've walked thousands of miles on these beaches and let me tell you things aren't better, despite all the claims and chatter, they are worse. Go find a dune to walk on and let me know where it's at. The few left have to saved, the rest were destroyed or are private. I never thought in my life, we would have to save sand dunes.

coastal-edge

Beach Comber
Jul 21, 2009
www.coastal-edge.com
I'm sure the "master plan" has the mark of being green and enviromentally sensitive and a walkway heaven and haven to wildlife that is cute and non-threatening and non-invasive, but the truth will always be that the need for $$ will far, far out weigh any of those cuddy feelings and drawings and paragraphs in the developers materials. IMHO again. I wish it were not so, but it will be so. Eventually.

Many locals, and seasonal "guests" (those who own here but don't call this permanent home), have been able to appreciate the income stream that over the past 20 years has paid for services to all. Those services include fire, sewer, water, road, police, etc. Income taxes, sales taxes and property taxes also pay for schools, hospitals and other benign services.

Seasonal owners would complain about all the development, but did they choose to make a living off the sea? I bet not. Their incomes benefited the cities and towns where they call "home." And there is nothing wrong with that, but how do you pay for a "community?"

Unfortunately we didn't get here back in the 1930s when the beach was considered swamp land and everyone thought those who bought it were just plain stupid. They obviously weren't, and we are thankful they did.

It was because of some of those money-loving visionaries that there is a 30-A. It would be so picturesque, and a beautiful fairytale to believe that only a few residents could pay for it all.

I would rather have a responisble, "profitable" developer such as Alys Beach, then watch some of the irresponsible individual builders turn this area into one that won't outlast it's owners.