• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Not sure why they want to expand/open new phases in Alys Beach when they can't move the property that is already developed. I don't think (but might be wrong) more than a handful of properties have changed hands in Alys in the last two years.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Like it or not, Alys Beach continues to grow.

June 'Best Month Ever' for Alys Beach Home Sales > Alys Beach Offers Luxury Beach Living From A New Urbanist Perspective > Alys Beach Today -- The Official Alys Beach Blog

June 'Best Month Ever' for Alys Beach Home Sales
Alys Beach recently marked an important milestone with the release of our very first Gulf-front home lots. Only three beachfront lots were made available, and the first two lots sold almost immediately. Plus, those sales also included agreements to build Alys Beach’s very first custom Gulf-front homes!

“Most of our development to-date has taken place on the north side of (Scenic Highway) 30A, but people have been eagerly awaiting these first Gulf-front opportunities,” said Karen Terrell, our Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “There’s obviously only so much beachfront, so interest and anticipation has been very high.”

In fact, Terrell’s team successfully sold six new homes and lots in the last 14 days alone.

"June was our best month ever," said Terrell. "This is a very exciting time for us."

In order to make the new Gulf-front lots available, it was first necessary to add additional infrastructure south of 30A. For example, we recently began a $6 million dollar project to complete the streets south of 30A. The cobblestone roads are expected to be complete later this year. A new architecturally inspiring beach-front plaza was also recently completed. The new 'Gulf Green' was designed by Town Architects Erik Vogt & Marieanne Khoury-Vogt (who also designed Caliza and Fonville Press, by the way).

Numerous other community projects have also been recently completed, including a network of boardwalks through our 21-acre nature preserve, a new tennis court complex, an expanded playground, a pedestrian plaza with a Florida caprock-lined fire pit, the new 33,500-square-foot community amphitheater and several new businesses, including The Alys Shoppe and Charlie's Donut Truck.

"Our family's been here since the 1940s, and we purchased this particular land over 30 years ago, so we've certainly seen economic conditions come and go," said Town Founder Jason Comer, grandson of Alys Stephens, for whom our town is named. "But one thing has always been constant: People love these beaches."

FYI, Alys Beach is being developed by EBSCO Industries. Headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, EBSCO was founded in 1943 by Elton B. Stephens and his wife, Alys. Today, the company employs over 6,000 people worldwide and EBSCO is one of the "Top 200" largest privately held companies in the U.S. according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO's also earned Dun & Bradstreet's highest "5A1" financial rating. The company is diversified into more than forty businesses, including manufacturing, publishing and subscription services, and real estate development. (Did you know, for example, that EBSCO is the world's largest manufacturer of fishing lures??)

"All of our recent sales activity hopefully indicates that confidence is returning among some affluent buyers," said Comer. "Our new owners are very savvy and well-positioned investors that are seeking a special quality of life, and they certainly seem to appreciate the long-term vision of Alys Beach. We'll continue to grow our town with the same patience, prudence and optimism for this region's long-term potential."

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!

That's a pretty good jump. According to WCR, they've only sold three properties, two lots and one house, in the last six months. To go from there to six sales in two weeks is pretty signifigant, assuming the sales go through.

http://64.234.218.49/fl_walton.html..._sales+roads&parcel=27-3S-18-16420-0NN-0010#5

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
That's a pretty good jump. According to WCR, they've only sold three properties, two lots and one house, in the last six months. To go from there to six sales in two weeks is pretty signifigant, assuming the sales go through.

Walton County Parcel Maps

can we call the bottom now?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
lerxst, I have already stated old growth forest was an incorrect term. My apology. When I camped in those very woods many years ago, it was older than anything else around here. Those woods you call a desert of dead and burned trees were more interesting and beautiful than what has been stuck on that site now. What passes for development in these parts is referred to elsewhere as destruction. And as far as dunes, you could literally walk (legally and without hassle) the length of 30A and never step off a dune . I've walked thousands of miles on these beaches and let me tell you things aren't better, despite all the claims and chatter, they are worse. Go find a dune to walk on and let me know where it's at. The few left have to saved, the rest were destroyed or are private. I never thought in my life, we would have to save sand dunes.

There wouldn't be a need to save dunes if people would stop walking on them. Which by the way is also illegal.

can we call the bottom now?

Somewhere SHELLY is yelling "NEVER!"

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
SWGB, it has not always been illegal to walk the dunes. In fact, only until most of the dunes were destroyed by development and private property concerns did we first hear "save the dunes".

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005

If true, it looks like they had a good June. They actually almost doubled the number of sales that have occurred in Alys in the past three years by bringing in 6 in June. Wonder how July and August will fare?

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
If true, it looks like they had a good June. They actually almost doubled the number of sales that have occurred in Alys in the past three years by bringing in 6 in June. Wonder how July and August will fare?

They had a gulf front sale at $3,150,000 in July. Very strong! I think Alys beach will be OK.

Many of our dunes were destroyed by violent storms. We are very fortunate that we have all this state land and our dune system seems to be coming back as we speak in those areas. The area should have never allowed building south of 30A but I think we have to be grateful for what we do have and continue to try and educate folks on the importance of our Dunes.