• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
No one is disputing the quality of the Alys Beach development, the fact is that beyond public view, they are attempting to increase density by over one-third through the EAR Amendment that Walton County is in the process of submitting to the State of Florida.

Again, does this have anything to do with the former Aquaterra property?

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Alys doesn't have a gate and happily lets this peasant roam their streets and attend a variety of funn events (most free to the public).

Few communities on 30-A can make the same claim.

They let us peasants in for the time being to create buzz and make it appear that there are lots of folks interested in or living in AB. When (make take a long, long time) they get critical mass sold in the development, there will no longer be general access for us peasants. Look at what happened with the peasants that enjoyed Seaside Chapel on Sundays.

Enjoy while it lasts (which could be a long, long time before they sell enough to reach critical mass).

rancid

Beach Fanatic
Aug 9, 2006
The right way for people who can afford half a million plus (base rates) in a real estate purchases. Alys is an upscale, gated access, rich-yuppie-urbanist-environmentalist community. It's designed for people who feel so guilt ridden about the money they made being capitalists that they now feel compelled to spend hordes of money for perceived atonement. (With the added benefit of being well isolation from the peasant class to boot.) :lol:

I am confused by your comment. Do you mean that if one has made money, they need to be a suburbanist, industrialist who wants to destroy the environment? Some people can actually make money and still maintain their ideals and morals.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
They let us peasants in for the time being to create buzz and make it appear that there are lots of folks interested in or living in AB. When (make take a long, long time) they get critical mass sold in the development, there will no longer be general access for us peasants. Look at what happened with the peasants that enjoyed Seaside Chapel on Sundays.

Enjoy while it lasts (which could be a long, long time before they sell enough to reach critical mass).

There is some sort of public access thing going on there because I remember a bunch of discussion about it at BCC meetings with Cindy Meadows and the developer. Wanting to widen some paths or something to get into a rec area in the rear of the development. Not sure, just a foggy memory.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
A vacant lot. They also sold one in March for $2,130,000. There have been a total of 8 gulf front sales in the area this year. 2 of these are Alys beach. They are also the highest sales by a long shot. Watersound had a good one in July at $1,725,000. The rest of sales are under a million with one last sale at $1,300,000 in Gulf Dunes. This lot was 200' plus deep.

WOW. A million dollar difference between two lots in the same area. What made the second lot worth 50% more than the first? Was it significantly bigger? A better view:dunno: ? Or, did the second buyer not do their homework?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
WOW. A million dollar difference between two lots in the same area. What made the second lot worth 50% more than the first? Was it significantly bigger? A better view:dunno: ? Or, did the second buyer not do their homework?

One is located in Alys and the other in Watersound. My understanding of the master plan for Alys is that the majority of gulf front lots will be commercial space on first floor with living space above. There didn't seem to be too many gulf front single family home lots in Alys vs. Watersound. They may have also purchased one with the commercial entity in it which would also raise the value.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
I am confused by your comment. Do you mean that if one has made money, they need to be a suburbanist, industrialist who wants to destroy the environment? Some people can actually make money and still maintain their ideals and morals.

I was just having some fun at Aly's expense. If your a non-guilt ridden rich capitalist, you build a cement monstrosity across the street. :D

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I was just having some fun at Aly's expense. If your a non-guilt ridden rich capitalist, you build a cement monstrosity across the street. :D

If you're referring to the Taj Hilton that one's actually behind a gate. ;-)

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
The right way for people who can afford half a million plus (base rates) in a real estate purchases. Alys is an upscale, gated access, rich-yuppie-urbanist-environmentalist community. It's designed for people who feel so guilt ridden about the money they made being capitalists that they now feel compelled to spend hordes of money for perceived atonement. (With the added benefit of being well isolation from the peasant class to boot.) :lol:

Funny, 30a. No gate, though. I fell in love with the place at first sight. Even went it and made sure they would welcome someone like me...they would and did...with open arms! AB is full of some of the most wonderful poeple on 30A! They even came up with names of homesfor us...Kitty Kourtyard, Kitty Kompound! It is still on my dream list and is very close to golf course....men with names that start with Mr., love that. ;-)

I thought it was for folks that make good money and like a quality product. None of them seem to have much guilt as far as I can tell. They just seem a bit burnt out on poor quality stick built florida cottage.

So true! One of the biggest draws for us was the no worry factor in the construction!

Alys doesn't have a gate and happily lets this peasant roam their streets and attend a variety of funn events (most free to the public).

Few communities on 30-A can make the same claim.

Hail, they even let me in the RE office! ;-) They have the most creative offerings for fun stuff to do for the entire community! Go Kelly! (shameless plug :love:)

it's a jokey joke, but the wealthy peeps thank you for your support, I am sure!

Stop hating on that Hilton house...I see it as a plus, love it!

AB, I still love you. :love:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com

Not sure but they were in the same neighborhood. Several months apart. Probably a better lot. Buyers today do their homework. Trust me on that one. That's why they are buyers today.