• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
The best standard poodle breeder in this area recommends the BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet for dogs (Raw Natural Diet). She is friends with the breeder from whom we bought our standard poodle, Pepper. I just don't have the time to cook such a healthy diet for hubby and me, much less Pepper.

The breeder recommends Blackwood. But I am worried that now that Pepper is four years old, (a) she is what she eats, (b) she might be bored with the same food, and (c) is that the healthiest food for her? The vet likes a chicken and rice diet, but heck, when I'm working, I don't have time to cook that for my family every day, much less for our dog. I can't serve her Mexican or pizza or Asian take-out.:blush:

Any suggestions?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
OK- I just have to vent. Sorry BR- love you but you need to hear this.

Tell your breeder to STFU. Feed your dog a nice healthy food you buy at the dog food store. Quit letting the dog breeder wrap you around her finger. Cut the cord. Let Pepper be a dog. Talk to your vet.

If I hear any more of my friends influenced by professional, for-profit, dog breeders, I think I am going to barf.:wave: You own the dog now. Be the owner. Tell the breeder to buh bye, be gone.

OK- I just have to vent. Sorry BR- love you but you need to hear this.

Tell your breeder to STFU. Feed your dog a nice healthy food you buy at the dog food store. Quit letting the dog breeder wrap you around her finger. Cut the cord. Let Pepper be a dog. Talk to your vet.

If I hear any more of my friends influenced by professional, for-profit, dog breeders, I think I am going to barf.:wave: You own the dog now. Be the owner. Tell the breeder to buh bye, be gone.

Great advice. :wave:I will talk to the vet. Of course, he has some bias in this because he sells Science Diet.:bang:
I love Pepper, and I love my family, but I don't want to be their personal chef, know what I'm sayin'?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Great advice. :wave:I will talk to the vet. Of course, he has some bias in this because he sells Science Diet.:bang:
I love Pepper, and I love my family, but I don't want to be their personal chef, know what I'm sayin'?

Don't believe the spam e-mail about Science Diet. It is great dog food- don't believe every dog food rant you read on the internet. I worked for a very involved, concerned, and conservative vet- and he was a Science Diet believer. There is a negative google search for every product ever made- you can make yourself nuts reading all the crap. I would never ever take any advice from a dog breeder. When you are on the med side (vet side), you understand this. Call me if you don't get it- I really want my friends to stay away from any "professional breeder advice".

Our dogs eat Nutro Lamb & Rice. Great food. They are active, healthy and happy. It is not the cheapest, but it is not gourmet. We found it years ago, when it was the only food that didn't make our golden retriever break out in sores all over her body.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
I have no choice but to cook lamb and rice for my dachshund. She's 17 and has severe liver problems, so I do it.

Still, I thank goodness everyday when I scoop out a half cup of Purina Pro Plan Shredded Chicken and Rice and voila! breakfast (or dinner) is served for the baby pug.

Why would you ever, for a second, consider cooking for a dog who is happy with kibble that meets all his nutritional needs? With the dachshund, we have to supplement with dog vitamins, and she still sometimes eats dirt -- something she stops as soon as we up her dose of vitamins. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to cook foods that meet the all the RDA needs of a dog. I have a great training book by the monks of New Skete that recommends supplementing good kibble with the occasional egg or brewers yeast, and that I can understand. But trust me, you don't want to start down that cooking for your dog road unless you absolutely have to.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I have no choice but to cook lamb and rice for my dachshund.
She's 17 and has severe liver problems, so I do it.

Still, I thank goodness everyday when I scoop out a half cup of Purina Pro Plan Shredded Chicken and Rice and voila! breakfast (or dinner) is served.

Why would you ever, for a second, consider cooking for a dog who is happy with kibble that meets all his nutritional needs? With the dachshund, we have to supplement with dog vitamins, and she still sometimes eats dirt -- something she stops as soon as we up her dose of vitamins. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to cook foods that meet the all the RDA needs of a dog. I have a great training book by the monks of New Skete that recommends supplementing good kibble with the occasional egg or brewers yeast, and that I can understand. But trust me, you don't want to start down that cooking for your dog road unless you absolutely have to.

And Pepper is young and healthy and would survive just fine on Sam's Choice dogfood at Walmart. She has no health issues that a specific dog food choice is necessary. So many dog food choices are owner-driven, but your best option is ASK YOUR VET. I would trust my dog's doctor over anyone else.