• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
A friend in Chicago sent this to me.

"Dairyland Greyhound Racetrack" in Kenosha, WI is closing Dec. 31. Some 900 Greyhounds will need to be adopted otherwise they will be euthanized. Get the word out...pass this on....only 6 weeks to get this task done!!! Call Joanne Kehoe, Operations Director Ph: 312/559-0887 or call direct to Dairyland Adoption Center 262/612-8256

The volunteers are overwhelmed trying to help these wonderful dogs. :sosad:

Please pass this on....thank you!

Last edited:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I just emailed this information to one of the key people with the Emerald Coast Adoption Agency we adopted our Greyhound from. Hopefully he will get involved or have some suggestions. They make absolutely wonderful pets!!

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Have they done press releases to the morning shows - Today, GMA? Talk shows - Ellen, Oprah? APSCA, of course, which has an extensive memebership/email list.

May be a long shot, but the payoff could be big. Thank God the park is closing. I pray all these beautiful animals get the loving homes they deserve.:love:

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Have they done press releases to the morning shows - Today, GMA? Talk shows - Ellen, Oprah? APSCA, of course, which has an extensive memebership/email list.

May be a long shot, but the payoff could be big. Thank God the park is closing. I pray all these beautiful animals get the loving homes they deserve.:love:

And Bonnie Hunt, she is a huge animal advocate.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I just emailed this information to one of the key people with the Emerald Coast Adoption Agency we adopted our Greyhound from. Hopefully he will get involved or have some suggestions. They make absolutely wonderful pets!!

Thanks so much for getting this information out to someone who knows about adopting Greyhounds. I know absolutely nothing, except that I do see quite a few people out and about with them. And, everyone I've ever talked to about their adopted Greyhound(s) is just crazy about them.

Thank you MC....I don't know as my friend just passed this on to me....to pass it on. I guess the person to contact about that is Joanne Kehoe. I will ask Patrick about that and post it if anything has put it on the news. I would hope that 900 Greyhounds would definitely be news worthy!!!!

And Bonnie Hunt, she is a huge animal advocate.

Thanks Franny!!!!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am always suspect of chain email pleas- and this is another one that popped up on Snopes. However, it does help get out the message that there are lots of animals that need adopting, and these dogs do need a home. These dogs at Dairyland are the lucky ones- greyhounds have been euthanized in large numbers for years- I remember hearing about a pile of about 200 dead greyhounds being discovered in an orange grove when I was out in Phoenix in the 90's. The exact number of greyhounds available for adoption is unknown until racing ends on 12/31/2009, according to the article.

Recent News

According to the Snopes article, the park will remain open until the dogs are placed. Scroll down, since the info comes after news about other animal hoaxes.

snopes.com: Shelter Closure

And remember- greyhounds are wonderful dogs, but off the track dogs have special needs and adaptability issues that are unique to their circumstance.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
I am always suspect of chain email pleas- and this is another one that popped up on Snopes. However, it does help get out the message that there are lots of animals that need adopting, and these dogs do need a home. These dogs at Dairyland are the lucky ones- greyhounds have been euthanized in large numbers for years- I remember hearing about a pile of about 200 dead greyhounds being discovered in an orange grove when I was out in Phoenix in the 90's. The exact number of greyhounds available for adoption is unknown until racing ends on 12/31/2009, according to the article.

Recent News

According to the Snopes article, the park will remain open until the dogs are placed. Scroll down, since the info comes after news about other animal hoaxes.

snopes.com: Shelter Closure

And remember- greyhounds are wonderful dogs, but off the track dogs have special needs and adaptability issues that are unique to their circumstance.

I wish it weren't true.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I wish it weren't true.

It's partially true. There isn't going to be a mass killing on Dec. 31st, but the dogs will be adopted out. I imagine every greyhound rescue in the country is on this by now. Of course nobody knows what happens when dogs are returned to their owners- it will be dealing with the individual owners that will be a PIA.

From the Dairyland website:

"Wisconsin State law provides that the greyhounds are to be adopted to new homes, sent to another racetrack for racing purposes or returned to their owners. Our kennel compound will remain open until all greyhounds are properly placed."

A big concern is the viral nature of this email and how many people will think they are doing the right thing by adopting a greyhound and finding out quickly that the dog is not suited for their home/lifestyle and it ends up in a shelter. Hopefully, the adoption process will be thorough and people will do their homework. I would hate to see lots of greyhounds end up like all the unwanted Dalmations (remember when "101 Dalmations" came out?) and chihuahuas (yo queoro Taco Bell)- shelters loaded with the "dog du jour".:sosad: