• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I hate Walmart. And I really hate that there are certain things my family needs and uses that are dollars cheaper per item than at Publix (peanut butter and cereal are the 2 regular items that come to mind). I can't justify not going right now since we are watching our money like everyone else, and the Walmart runs cause frequent moments of self-loathing. So, I make a Walmart run about every 3 weeks for staples, and shop several times a week at Publix for perishables.

But- I am not so lazy that I can't drive to Destin, PCB, or DeFunk to go to a Walmart, places where the Walmarts are located in established commercial areas and not stuck in the middle of a field in the middle of a long stretch of empty highway. I certainly don't think the county needs to change the sign code for them- does anyone really need a sign to point them in the direction of a 78,000 SF building? :bang:

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I don't get it - that seems SO close to the one in Destin. That's bizarre!! Besides, those who do shop at Walmart for certain items do so when they go into Destin for this that or the other. I think it is a shame to waste that land on something that isn't even needed or apparantly wanted.

G

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I guess I will be the first to suffer the slings and arrows of saying I am looking forward to a Wal-Mart moving so close to home. As I have said before on here, in another thread on the same topic, the same rhetoric was thrown about when Wal-Mart opened a store in New Orleans' lower garden district. Not only did it bring jobs, it helped revive a slumping neighborhood without hurting the 'character'. Further, the predicted shuttering of mom and pops did not occur. If anything, there are more small businesses open in the neighborhood now than before. I predict that the new Wal-Mart will have little to no negative effect on existing business on 30-A.

We might as well face it-the day is coming when HWY 98 commercial property will be developed. Frankly I am glad to have more shopping choices. However, I will totally be a NIMBY and fight efforts to open McStores on 30-A.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
I guess I will be the first to suffer the slings and arrows of saying I am looking forward to a Wal-Mart moving so close to home. As I have said before on here, in another thread on the same topic, the same rhetoric was thrown about when Wal-Mart opened a store in New Orleans' lower garden district. Not only did it bring jobs, it helped revive a slumping neighborhood without hurting the 'character'. Further, the predicted shuttering of mom and pops did not occur. If anything, there are more small businesses open in the neighborhood now than before. I predict that the new Wal-Mart will have little to no negative effect on existing business on 30-A.

We might as well face it-the day is coming when HWY 98 commercial property will be developed. Frankly I am glad to have more shopping choices. However, I will totally be a NIMBY and fight efforts to open McStores on 30-A.

On behalf of budget-conscious families everywhere, I'll stand with you, skunky. And no doubt the throngs of tourists who descend upon sowal each season would agree.

I also agree that the zoning and character of 98 is far different from that of 30A. Big boxes have no place on 30A.

And Gidget, I agree that 2 of those examples look, well, tacky. I thought the New Urbanist plan looked pretty good. My point was that communities do seem to have some power over store design.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!

LOL when I told my husband he said GREAT! He sees it the same way you do.

DITTO ON McStores on 30A!

G

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
On behalf of budget-conscious families everywhere, I'll stand with you, skunky. And no doubt the throngs of tourists who descend upon sowal each season would agree.

I also agree that the zoning and character of 98 is far different from that of 30A. Big boxes have no place on 30A.

And Gidget, I agree that 2 of those examples look, well, tacky. I thought the New Urbanist plan looked pretty good. My point was that communities do seem to have some power over store design.

I guess it is hard to tell from the drawing, but it is the best of the 3 no doubt!!

IF you could design it - how would you? Maybe there could be a contest to do so! :clap:

G

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005

I had clients and contacts in many small Kentucky towns, and every time a Walmart opened up on the edge of those towns, those downtowns died. Then after 10 years or so, the Walmart decided it needed a "bigger and newer" place or needed to be a "Super Walmart" and it leaves it's ugly shell behind to devastate the ugly strip mall and the local businesses that sprang up around it. Your experience in the Garden District was maybe a more urban phenomena, but I have seen nothing but bad for the local businesses of rural areas when a Walmart sets up shop right in the middle.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I had clients and contacts in many small Kentucky towns, and every time a Walmart opened up on the edge of those towns, those downtowns died. Then after 10 years or so, the Walmart decided it needed a "bigger and newer" place or needed to be a "Super Walmart" and it leaves it's ugly shell behind to devastate the ugly strip mall and the local businesses that sprang up around it. Your experience in the Garden District was maybe a more urban phenomena, but I have seen nothing but bad for the local businesses of rural areas when a Walmart sets up shop right in the middle.

Maybe, maybe not. Remember that here, unlike inland, there are only so many places they can move to. Bay to the north, gulf to the south, Eglin and state forest all around. I have a feeling that what they build will be for the long haul. Other than Ace Hardware, who else do you think is in jeopardy? John John I guess. Nobody I can think of on 30-A.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

Sounds like a win somewhere that needed one. I wouldn't say SoWal is a slumping neighborhood and any success coming our way is probably not going to hinge on a Walmart. The boutiques and restaurants on Scenic 30A will not suffer, but SoWal is a lot more than 30A and most local businesses are not on 30A.

The truth is, Destin is spreading east and Panama City Beach is spreading west. How close do we want or need them to be?

Be prepared for more toys, tents, and trash on SoWal Beaches.