• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Camellia

Beach Fanatic
Nov 26, 2004
Ospreys are frequently perched in the trees outside my window. One day I saw one with a fish in his beak so I got out binoculars to get a closer look. Almost wish I hadn't. It was hard to watch
the fish flopping for a long long time as the osprey fed himself on live flesh, pecking first through the mouth and face, and , need I continue?

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area

Magnificent photo, davisprop!! :clap:

Great photo! Mr. Grayton Girl and I saw that bald eagle (I'm guessing it's the same one) in the same dead tree on Western Lake about a month ago. Nearly had a wreck craning our necks to check him out!

But better yet, I saw a sight that I still can't believe! About 2 weeks ago I was running on the bike path from Seaside toward Grayton when 2 large birds caught my eye. One was HUGE but I could tell by the way it was flying that it wasn't a buzzard. The sun was in my eyes so I stopped to check it out. The smaller of the large birds was chasing the bigger bird, and as they came overhead, I saw that the big one was a Bald Eagle! It was carrying a large fish!

As I watched, the small bird (maybe an osprey? it was hard to see) continued to fly with it. Then, suddenly, the eagle let go of the fish! The fish is dropping to the ground when the smaller bird snatches it out of thin air and flies away! It was so graceful, it looked choreographed.

I was jumping up and down and saying "Wow!" I was so excited! Some bikers passed by (I hadn't even noticed them coming) and I'm sure they thought I was a crazy person....

It has been quite a year for wildlife - in the air, in the water, and on the ground!!

Love this story! Amazing! :clap:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Are you sure that is not an Osprey? They look kind of like an Eagle.
Pretty sure that is a bald eagle. There are several nesting pairs in the area. The Florida osprey is a much smaller bird of prey but are just as awesome to behold. They tend to be more solitary where the eagles are frequently seen in pairs or with the young hatchlings this time of year.

2bohemians

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
www.searchthe30a.com
Unfortunately we didn't have our camera with us ...
We were standing in the Shops of Grayton talking with a shop owner ...
And we got a great view of a Bald Eagle flying overhead.
There was no question in our mind what it was!
Was a wonderful treat!

Davis Properties

Beach Comber
May 30, 2007
392 Canal Street
bit.ly
More info on Bald Eagles

For those bird lovers out there who are interested to know a little more - Lori Ceier of WaltonOutdoors (who also posted one of our photos from last week) included some pretty cool info about Bald Eagles.... check out the post she included on her site. http://www.waltonoutdoors.com/southern-bald-eagle-thrives-in-florida/.

Thanks to all for the kind compliments on the photo -!

Walton Outdoors

Beach Fanatic
Oct 8, 2008
www.WaltonOutdoors.com
For those bird lovers out there who are interested to know a little more - Lori Ceier of WaltonOutdoors (who also posted one of our photos from last week) included some pretty cool info about Bald Eagles.... check out the post she included on her site. http://www.waltonoutdoors.com/southern-bald-eagle-thrives-in-florida/.

Thanks to all for the kind compliments on the photo -!

Thanks Jamie! Got lucky today and was able to capture the beautiful raptor on video perched on the same tree as your photo!

Bald Eagle captured on video on Western Lake in South Walton County | Welcome to Walton Outdoors