• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
It's time to renew the anti-virus software, and I was wondering whether to continue with NOD32 by Eset or try something else. I haven't had any problems on my desktop with it, but got a nasty Trojan on the laptop. Are those possible to defend against with standard anti-virus?

Your input is appreciated.

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
I use open source software - it is an alternative to Microsoft Windows/office. Ubuntu Linux is FREE and virtually virus free. I never have to install virus protection.

Just wanted to let you know that there are others options out there.

G

Lward0617

Beach Comber
Dec 19, 2009
DeFuniak Springs
Miss Critter,

Both Avast Antivirus :,
FREE antivirus software with spyware protection: avast! Home Edition

And Microsoft's Security Essentials :,
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Are both Great solutions that are free. I have been using Avast for years over even AVG and recommended it to all of my clients. Now I actually prefer Microsoft Security Essentials.

If you are using Windows Xp, Vista, or Windows 7. Then the security essentials will have a little more synergy then Avast. And create a little less painful security environment.

It does a great job of running quietly, and as long as you have a steady internet connection it does a good job of updating itself as well.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I use and like AVG (free) and I couple that with running Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware (two other free malware programs) on occasion.

Works like a charm.