• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

croixbum

Banned
Jun 15, 2009
West Point, MS
I use and like AVG (free) and I couple that with running Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware (two other free malware programs) on occasion.

Works like a charm.

I also use AVG and Malawarebytes, both are free and provide very good protection. I have been IT director in a school district with over 1500 pc's and have fought viruses, spyware and Malware for many years, important thing is to keep it updated and scan frequently.

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
It's time to renew the anti-virus software, and I was wondering whether to continue with NOD32 by Eset or try something else. I haven't had any problems on my desktop with it, but got a nasty Trojan on the laptop. Are those possible to defend against with standard anti-virus?

Your input is appreciated.

NOD32 consistently comes out as one of the best products out there.

Since so many people are pointing you to free products, I am assuming it is being used in a non-commercial environment. AVG is not free for a business or school system according to its license. MS Security Essentials scores really high and, if I am remembering correctly, is allowable in a home office set up (commercial use).

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Question: How would I know about Avast updates? Are they sent automatically to your inbox, or would I need to do manual search? NOD32 would automatically update daily, sometimes several times a day, depending on threat.

Yes, this is for a home computer.

Lward0617

Beach Comber
Dec 19, 2009
DeFuniak Springs
Question: How would I know about Avast updates? Are they sent automatically to your inbox, or would I need to do manual search? NOD32 would automatically update daily, sometimes several times a day, depending on threat.

Yes, this is for a home computer.

A little box will appear in the bottom right hand corner of your desktop that displays "Your virus database has been updated" If you have the sound on..It even says it out loud.

The only fault with Avast is that it doesn't do a great job with mal-ware and ad-ware. But it does manage to grab almost all Trojans and Viruses.
It updates sometimes several times a day as well.

MS Security Essentials runs a little bit tighter ship.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It is my understanding that virus protection and mal-ware protection typically require different programs to keep your system clean. I've also been told that you don't want to run multiple malware programs because one will often find the bad files quarantined within the other program and think that it needs to quarantine the other program. I typically run Ad-aware for the malware detection/removal. When I got some nasty malware from a FaceBook download, the only thing that was able to handle it was Malwarebytes, but I had to change the name of the software so that the malware wouldn't recognize the file name, and I had to run it in safe mode. Other than that time, I just stick with Ad-Aware for the malware.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
It is my understanding that virus protection and mal-ware protection typically require different programs to keep your system clean. I've also been told that you don't want to run multiple malware programs because one will often find the bad files quarantined within the other program and think that it needs to quarantine the other program. I typically run Ad-aware for the malware detection/removal. When I got some nasty malware from a FaceBook download, the only thing that was able to handle it was Malwarebytes, but I had to change the name of the software so that the malware wouldn't recognize the file name, and I had to run it in safe mode. Other than that time, I just stick with Ad-Aware for the malware.

Okay, I was following along quite nicely until this post. . . . . .:blink::D

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Okay, I was following along quite nicely until this post. . . . . .:blink::D

He said just use one Malware program, I think.:D
MC, I used Avira on my former laptop and Malwarebytes without incident.
I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and the geek squad installed Kaspersky because they said it was the best. I don't even see when that updates, but for a free one Avira was sufficient and I didn't get any trojans or viruses that i was aware of.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mango is correct, I said it is typically recommended to use only one mal-ware program, in addition to your virus protection program. Running more than one mal-ware program can cause conflicts.

Beach Geeks

Beach Lover
If you want to avoid the nasty bugs of the internet a Mac is the best form of Anti-Virus / Anti-Malware that is out there :)

Now, for those of us that can't get a Mac right now, or refuse to switch, this is what I recommend for all of my customers right now.

I have been an AVG / Malware Bytes / SpyBot guy for a very very long time. I have found that these in combination far out perform Norton, McAfee, and others. Recently though, I started using Microsoft Security Essentials. It is working fantastic on my systems, and on all of my client's computers. It is free and can be downloaded at http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

It uses very few system resources and that is a major problem with most security suites. That has been my biggest complaint with AVG 9.0 is the amount of resources that it requires.

So try MSE. It is working great for me and all of my clients.