• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captgee

Beach Crab
Nov 14, 2009
i guess if everyone knew they are why we have tar balls, they're mainly coming from oiltankers. half of the oil is used to make plastic,which our economy now requires for everything we use,so lets not berate an SUV,or a LSV. a prius doesn't use leather, so it takes more plastic to make! we all need to use less plastic and have the drilling in only federal waters to help stop the endless(and mindless) banter of dilling in the gulf.oh by the way, there were drilling rigs south of Destin and Pensacola before. they didn't cause any tar balls to wash up on the beach! there was a senator from from Crestview who misrepresented his facts,but drilling and finding oil could help the Florida economy with much needed taxes and royalties.

Chandra

Beach Fanatic
Finger pointing rarely has the intended result of making people take action, though NOLA's point is valid and one that I have believed from the beginning of the proposed rally, needs further discussion. We need people fighting the good fight of protecting our beaches to the best of our abilities, AND we need education and policies on how we can reduce the pressure on the extraction of our non-renewable resources.

Our high standard of living makes us the greatest energy consumer in the world, though that extra energy consumption hasn't necessarily equated to a better quality of life. As soon as I can find the stats on this, I'll post. With an increasing population and everyone in the world aspiring to our standard of living, energy security will continue to be a priority. The greatest challenge humans currently face is figuring out a way to reduce our energy consumption while achieving (in the case of developing countries) and maintaining quality of life standards.

Personal transportation vehicles are only a small part of the energy problem. A greater percentage of a barrel of oil actual goes to the production of diesel for on and off road transportation - think agriculture and shipping. So our food choices, building material choices, and consumption patterns, are equally as important as our mode of transportaion. Higher fuel efficient cars are not the silver bullet to reduce energy use. The way we inhabit the land has an even greater effect. We use less resources when we develop land in ways that allow us to live closer to the things we need.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I really don't understand how anyone can think that oil drilling off our coast is a good idea.

In terms of both our economy and our natural resources it's like letting a 7 year old play with a chainsaw. Yes, there are safety features and there isn't a 100% guarantee that something awful will happen, but it's still a really bad idea w/ potentially disastrous consequences.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Florida does not need rescuing from Big oil.

Florida does not need rescuing from Big oil. Florida needs rescuing from Florida. Much needed taxes and royalties? Gimme a break, if our legislators and local county governments had not got caught up in the feverish speculative real estate economy we would not be in this mess.

Our state government is responsible for keeping the state financially solid. So, the oil companies bail us out? And then what?? We let them do what ever they want because they "rescued" us and along the way risking our environment and a healthy tourism based economy? NO thanks boys. Our government got us in this mess and they can get us out. The oil companies would just love to be our saviors. NO thanks. Our tourism, sunshine, clean waters, clean beaches and just plain Florida Hospitality will create all the jobs we need to get us out of this mess.

Clean energy; solar specifically, is the answer to our future energy policy and it's about time we had some leaders who will advance solar instead of embracing pre-historic energy. Welcome to the Sunshine State on all fronts.

Join Hands Florida! February 13! It's Valentines Weekend.
You love your beach don't you?

Dave Rauschkolb

www.handsacrossthesand.org

i guess if everyone knew they are why we have tar balls, they're mainly coming from oiltankers. half of the oil is used to make plastic,which our economy now requires for everything we use,so lets not berate an SUV,or a LSV. a prius doesn't use leather, so it takes more plastic to make! we all need to use less plastic and have the drilling in only federal waters to help stop the endless(and mindless) banter of dilling in the gulf.oh by the way, there were drilling rigs south of Destin and Pensacola before. they didn't cause any tar balls to wash up on the beach! there was a senator from from Crestview who misrepresented his facts,but drilling and finding oil could help the Florida economy with much needed taxes and royalties.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Shaffer's post last week was laughable; I almost fell out of my chair. Very entertaining and no response needed. Yes, he very well could be credited with helping our cause. Thanks for joining hands with us on Feb 13th.

It's Valentines weekend...you love your beach don't you?

"Study says military missions, oil drilling can coexist in the gulf" - Read this Article in last weeks Sun.

Study says military missions, oil drilling can coexist in the gulf (DOCUMENT) | study, military, missions - Local News - WaltonSun.com

Well, it seems that oil drilling rigs can co-exist with the "chum fields" that R. Shaffer speaks of in the Sun. Gulf drilling has nothing on beach bombing | nothing, beach, well - Local News - WaltonSun.com

It seems we all should thank R. Shaffer for his articles in the Sun since November as it seems that the PR generated for Hands Across the Sand has been great !!!!! Someone should send a letter to the Editor of the Sun thanking Shaffer for his contribution to the event.

I hope the weather is nice on the 13th. See Y'all there.

"Citizens are stronger when they stick together" (quote from WaltonIsOne)

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
SAFE? or "Swift Boat Veterans For Truth and Death Panels"

Securing America?s Future Energy (SAFE), AHH, SAFE, go to the website and consider the source. Just have a look at the people on the board and you will see it is an Oil Industry tool. Lot's of well paid retired military. NO one who is active duty and they are well paid to refute the actual active duty people who are making the decisions. They can't escape the fact that the ACTIVE DUTY BASE COMMANDER of Eglin emphatically said oil drilling would have a negative effect on the military mission.

Securing America's Future Energy | Biographies

"Study says military missions, oil drilling can coexist in the gulf" - Read this Article in last weeks Sun.

Study says military missions, oil drilling can coexist in the gulf (DOCUMENT) | study, military, missions - Local News - WaltonSun.com

Well, it seems that oil drilling rigs can co-exist with the "chum fields" that R. Shaffer speaks of in the Sun. Gulf drilling has nothing on beach bombing | nothing, beach, well - Local News - WaltonSun.com

It seems we all should thank R. Shaffer for his articles in the Sun since November as it seems that the PR generated for Hands Across the Sand has been great !!!!! Someone should send a letter to the Editor of the Sun thanking Shaffer for his contribution to the event.

"Citizens are stronger when they stick together" (quote from WaltonIsOne)

Beauty hunter

Beach Fanatic
May 3, 2009

"Citizens are stronger when they stick together" (quote from
WaltonIsOne)

I am truly working on my diplomacy skills as there are rules on this board all of which I'm not sure of, but am a little rusty this morning with it.
If you think the citizen quote at the bottom of your post is so true then you should include all the names of the people involved in this effort to keep our beaches beautiful, but I've noticed they are just doing their best to get the job done and not looking to have their picture in the paper. It seems like most everytime Dave posts, you pop up and ask for the credit- this is not a one man band operation. Dave's motive is clear, but yours is a bit muddy. I'm sorry, it wasn't in your post, who did you say you worked for?
There is a big difference between what our military needs to do for national security and what corporations do to further their income- let's not mix the two as if they are one and the same. The "chum fields" are to prevent our families from being chum. Chum and oil do not mix.
I smell a rat here somewhere, but can't quite place my finger on it.
Please clear this up as I have nothing personal against you, but I want to know the truth, something isn't adding up here.:wave:
Also, my personal apologies if I am misinterpreting the situation here.

Note to Kurt, If I am out of line as to how I expressed myself feel free to delete, this was the diplomatic version for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.