• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gulf angel

Beach Comber
Sep 9, 2007
I agree with the lady that wrote drill baby drill. The biggest reason is because Florida needs jobs. Good jobs that the offshore maritime industry will bring. Also if platforms are installed they will become great habitats for aquatic marine life. This will be beneficial to the local recreational fishing and diving industry. The research and development of natural gas exploration does not automatically equal bad effects on the environment. The EPA and ABS both have much higher standards than they did just a few years ago.

Readers please, do your research and consider the incentives to those conducting the studies and then research those incentives and then you have only begun to scratch the surface of the truth.

Too many people post thier emotions on here and share incomplete information. Also alot of people posting have already retired or have already made thier money and want to close the door. This is a shame because the environment doesnt have to be damaged to utilize the natural gas and other precious resources the GOM has to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I agree with the lady that wrote drill baby drill. The biggest reason is because Florida needs jobs. Good jobs that the offshore maritime industry will bring. Also if platforms are installed they will become great habitats for aquatic marine life. This will be beneficial to the local recreational fishing and diving industry. The research and development of natural gas exploration does not automatically equal bad effects on the environment. The EPA and ABS both have much higher standards than they did just a few years ago.

Readers please, do your research and consider the incentives to those conducting the studies and then research those incentives and then you have only begun to scratch the surface of the truth.

Too many people post thier emotions on here and share incomplete information. Also alot of people posting have already retired or have already made thier money and want to close the door. This is a shame because the environment doesnt have to be damaged to utilize the natural gas and other precious resources the GOM has to offer.

Ah, the false promise of jobs. This thing is being pushed through so fast I'm sure they'll slow down after it's passed to train the locals. :roll:

Most of the jobs you speak of will be imported and the few remaining ones will be extremely dangerous and low paying. If you're looking for short term and low pay we already have those. This is not a viable long term solution to employment as the drilling would probably last less than a decade at best.

We already have artificial reefs that are inert sunken boats, old bridges, etc. Why do we need one that is a ticking time bomb?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Hands Across the Sand t-shirts

Hands Across the Sand t-shirts available now!

$10 per shirt
adult sizes: small, medium, large and xlarge

pick up t-shirts here:

Seaside Farmer's Market
Saturdays 9am - 1pm
Jan 30, Feb 6, Feb 13

Grayton General Store
corner of County Scenic Hwy 30A & County Hwy 283
Suite 200 (second floor office)
available at this location on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - 1pm - 4pm for the next few weeks.

the tshirt is black with the official Hands Across the Sand design:

427212767v12_350x350_Front_Color-Black.jpg

wear your official Hands Across the Sand t-shirt to the beach on Feb 13!

see Hands Across the Sand for more information on the Feb 13th statewide event against pending Florida legislation to drill for oil in our coastal waters.

Last edited:

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
A long list

Speaking to your last point...I believe the list might be a very long one. From Pensacola to Key West and Miami to Jacksonville.

DR

Response to Beauty Hunter

You deserve a response to your questions, though I am unsure if I answer them adequately or to your liking. Please excuse the long post.

I apologize if my recent post confuses you. You are quite possibly misinterpreting the situation as a result of a lack of clarity on my post's part. And the "popping up" for credit is definitely not my motive and is presumably a misinterpretation on your part. I personally deserve no credit for anything regarding the Hands Across the Sand "cause".

My post was not meant to do anything other than point to press articles, etc. to keep others who are interested informed of either realities or (mis)perceptions published in the press.

The past and most recent mentions of R Shaffer's letters/articles in the Sun since November are nothing more that a realization that Shaffer's original letter published in the Sun in November 2009 triggered about 4 weeks of press response from Sun readers supporting the "cause" as well as an opportunity for Dave to have his article published in the Sun. Indeed all of these exchanges in the press provided additional press exposure opportunities for the Hands Across the Sand "cause". It has nothing to do with me personally. It is the "cause" that was, in my view, better served. I do know that in my small personal circle of people I know, they have been made more aware of the cause as a result of the various articles and Letters to the Editor of the Sun being published.

As for my quote "Citizens are stronger when they stick together", the quote is aimed at presenting a point in which when citizens gather, work, and "stick" together for a common cause, "real" change can take place. Not the "perceived" or "promised" change that many folks tend to vote for in political elections.

This quote is aimed at something much larger than the Hands Across the Sand cause itself. Particularly it is focused on a personal view that there is a need to change the "wrong" direction that Walton County, the State of Florida and our Federal Government are headed. In particular, the wrong direction of these government organizations is mainly a waste of our tax dollars, the fact that many (if not the majority) government employees are incompetent and do not serve the citizens, as well as the fact that government employees are too numerous and too highly paid. Our tax dollars need to be better applied and more efficiently utilized to serve citizens and not be used to serve politicians and incompetent government workers.

This "wrong direction" has nothing to do with one person, but the need for the citizens of this country to direct and focus both politicians as well as local, state and federal government employees on their mandate of "truly" serving the citizenship locally, throughout the state and countywide. The mandate would also include that these politicians and employees not be directed by "Special Interests". As anyone can plainly see, the waste of our tax dollars is present throughout all of Walton County. And, for example, the wasting of Walton County tax dollars can be stopped by ALL of the citizens of Walton County, if we just "stick" together to stop this practice.

If you sincerely desire a list of the citizens who are working together to keep our beaches beautiful, then maybe you and I should work together to get names of everyone who participates in the Hands Across the Sand on February 13th. That list might come in handy in the future.

Please excuse the long post.

"Citizens are stronger when they stick together" (Quote from WaltonIsOne)

Camellia

Beach Fanatic
Nov 26, 2004
Oil Drilling Forum

Just a reminder, on behalf of SWCC, the OIL DRILLING FORUM is this week, Thursday, February 4, at 5:00 in the South Walton High School auditorium.
Please spread the news.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I suggest that all owning "Hands Across the Sand" tee shirts wear them to the meeting tonight. Also, somewhere along the line I heard the time had been changed to six o'clock to accomodate those working folk. Someone please confirm the five o'clock starting time.

Status
Not open for further replies.