• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
"This crowd" is composed of a blend of natives, full time residents, 2nd home owners, and frequent or occasional visitors. :roll:

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Ok, so i just wasted to much of life reading this thread. But to make myself feel better, I went and took a drive down 30-A, and pleasantly did not have to drive behind an LSV. I'll be straight up, it is a convenience thing. :D

FINALLY, an honest answer I can respect for its honesty. I'll be straight up and tell you we can actually carve out an easy compromise to this, and you can keep your convenience.

Really all that matters in my mind, is the 2 stinking miles (or blissful if you're in a car) of 45MPH at Deer Lake, which bisects 95% of the real destinations in South Walton, like a knife, and makes 40% of it (Rosemary,Seacrest,Alys,Camp Creek, cut off, from the other 60%, Seagrove/Seaside/Watercolor/Grayton/BMB.

All we need are either 1) 2 mandatory pull offs along that stretch for cyclists or LSV's going 35MPH or less.. OR 2 ) a separated lane to the right on that stretch, which LSV's and cycylists must detour on, and put the bikepath, even further away from the 55MPH cars on that stretch.

Anyhow, a compromise is possible here, to preserve that convenience

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I echo John R's remarks. Rdavies and Nrlight,
I would venture to guess that 9 out of 10 people down here (whether full time residents, part timers or occasional visitors) believe that common sense dictates that you keep golf carts of highways and that it is ridonkulous to lower posted speed limits so that a couple people can take their golf carts to Stinkys or Red Bar.

You are entitled to your opinion and can squak all u want but what are u trying to accomplish by continuing?

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Finally? You've gotten honest answers already. It seems to me that if you get an answer you don't like, or agree with, then it must not be honest. That's sad. You would have more asphalt laid to support your green alternative? Interesting.

Happy Easter.

Don't have to be a smartazz, JOHN R. The poster him or herself labeled it "I'll be "HONEST" and level with you" ... not sure if you read that. It was nice to see someone honestly put to the board the REAL reason for most opposition -

If you go against SWGB and a few others on here, you will get ganged up on. Read the thread, just the facts.. I'm not in the 5 million posts club, hence I am told to move to Sandestin, end the thread, and I'm told I own an LSV dealership, etc etc. Weird **** coming from what you would guess are liberal minds.

Oh no you just can't disagree with SWGB - --- the horror... :yikes:

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
nr-light, you have to realize this crowd really doesn't like know-it-all visitors/tourist/part-timers who pop down once or a few times a year and expect the world to revolve around them. So much has changed for the locals, whatever their delusions, they have very little control over it. It leads to a great deal of pissing and moaning about the most trivial issues. It's like having rude, obnoxious guest for months on end and guess what they'll be back. It is a tourist economy, and unfortunately there are going to be many more things coming down the pike that people will not like. You think it's bad now wait t'ill the economy is really back, and "Paradise" gets more crowded, more traffic, more, more, more. The LSV debate will be trivial at that point.

Desso, you've hit the nail on the head in a lot of ways. Watch out.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
Just for the record, if any elected officials might be reading this, robertsondavies doesn't live here or own property. I'm betting he's not registered to vote either.

We're going to wager on things? Cool, I love to gamble.

If any elected officials might be reading this, SWGB probably lives here and may pay a few tax dollars, not sure about this so I won't bet on it.

I will wager you this however.. SWGB's odds of voting for you as a Republican are lower than your odds on winning Powerball, though the chance is there statistically. I'll wager that not only is SWGB a card carrying democrat, that further he is on the liberal end of the Democrat wagon. and here SWGB stands with the SUV on the one hand, and against drilling for oil on the other. There is a political wedge opportunity here for you to exploit. Get busy.

I'll also wager that SWGB is wrong about me. I do pay taxes here, property and sales and use, and I DO own property here.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
I echo John R's remarks. Rdavies and Nrlight,
I would venture to guess that 9 out of 10 people down here (whether full time residents, part timers or occasional visitors) believe that common sense dictates that you keep golf carts of highways and that it is ridonkulous to lower posted speed limits so that a couple people can take their golf carts to Stinkys or Red Bar.

You are entitled to your opinion and can squak all u want but what are u trying to accomplish by continuing?

Hey we who support LSV usage on 30A are supposed to be entitled to our opinions - isn't that an inalienable right thingy? I appreciate yours and many others concerns and opinions too. I also think there is a middle ground solution.

What do I hope to accomplish? SIMPLE - I hope to either lower the 2 mile stretch at Deer Lake to 35MPH and put a couple pull off areas on that stretch for cyclists and LSVs, or I'd like to leave it at 45MPH to preserve the convenience of it for those that need it, but install a 3rd path on that stretch for LSVs and slow cyclists to detour onto before reaching 35MPH areas on either side.

Common sense says that 40 some state legistlatures approved LSV statutes, encouraing their use on roadways of 35MPH or lower speed limits. Common sense and dollars and cents will show what insurance companies actuaries think of LSV's safety record. A common sense investigation will also reveal that after taking into account the pro's and con's nearly every environmental group is PRO - LSV, from the Sierra Club to you name it. I don't agree that 9 out of 10 agree with you that 30A must be the provence of the big carbon powered vehicles only, but it depends how you frame the question, and depends what group you survey. All I see are SUV's right now in South Walton, as far as the eye can see. To me, I think there are better alternatives, and encouraging LSVs is not the end goal, just one part of a bridge to the future of the area.

robertsondavies

Beach Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
I think today or tomorrow, or even Wednesday would be a great day for you and robertsondavies to come and sit and watch the traffic in SS(vehicular and pedestrian, and bicycle) Then you could offer a firsthand opinion regarding your position on LSV's on 30A. It may be a bit different.

I did come and take a look. Here is what I see. GMC Yukons, GMC Yukon XLs, Chevrolet Tahoe, Chevrolet Suburbans, Nissan Armadas, Pathfinders, Land Rover Range Rovers, Land Rover Land Rovers, Toyota Sequoiyas, Toyota Siennas, Honda Oddysseys, a bunch of pedestrians, hard core cyclists, and bike riders... and a couple LSVs. I wish it were 95% LSVs instead of 95% SUV's until the day we all ride magic carpets or walk everywhere.