• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I read in a WZEP News email that the County Commissioners were hearing requests to put the Tourist Development Council under the supervision of the Chamber of Commerce due to the abrupt retirement of the former TDC director...and I heard that the Economic Development office is already under the Chamber.

Does anyone else find this strange? I thought both the TDC and the EDC were "county" entities that worked on behalf of the County, utilized County funds, employed (in the case of the TDC) personnel who are considered County employees, and the Executive Director reported to the BCC.

And that the Chamber of Commerce is a business association...

so, if the above is correct, then how can the Board of County Commissioners consider putting the TDC under the direction of the Chamber of Commerce?

Can anyone enlighten me? WCTA, maybe?

WCTA

Beach Lover
May 27, 2009
Walton County
www.waltontaxpayers.org
I read in a WZEP News email that the County Commissioners were hearing requests to put the Tourist Development Council under the supervision of the Chamber of Commerce due to the abrupt retirement of the former TDC director...and I heard that the Economic Development office is already under the Chamber.

Does anyone else find this strange? I thought both the TDC and the EDC were "county" entities that worked on behalf of the County, utilized County funds, employed (in the case of the TDC) personnel who are considered County employees, and the Executive Director reported to the BCC.

so, if the above is correct, then how can the Board of County Commissioners consider putting the TDC under the direction of the Chamber of Commerce?

At the BCC meeting last evening a motion was made by Commissioner C Jones to enter into a contract with the Chamber to manage the TDC operations.

We were there and read a resolution from our Executive Committee
that opposed any move to place the operations in any type of public/private organization.

The original motion and 4-1 vote was rescinded and after taking public input on the issue with about 10-12 people from the Chamber speaking in support and 5 members of the TDC board that expressed a need for autonomy. Some TDC Board members spoke in favor of the Chamber involvement.

The final motion made by Commissioner C Jones was for the legal department to come back with a proposed agreement for the Chamber to manage the operations on a "interim" basis and to begin the process of advertising for a new TDC director on a Regional and National basis. They requested that the agreement be completed in time for presentation at the April 27th BCC meeting in DeFuniak Springs.

THE WCTA also made 4 other recommendations.

1. To conduct a forensic audit of all credit card activity back to 4/2007. ( The BCC is now in the process of retaining Carr, Riggs and Ingram to do exactly that. This was decided after a review of credit card bills by the Office of Management and Budget found sufficient questionable charges to warrant an outside audit.

2. Suspend all use of TDC credit cards until a thorough review of the internal control policies was conducted and adequate "oversight procedures" were developed.

3. That a review of all contracts in place be conducted specifically inter-locking ownerships, boards and ownership within contracted services.

4. That a review of the current Board composition be made considering the lack of governance and fiscal due-diligence.

The County created a public/private partnership for Economic Development in Walton County. It has a separate Board and is under the umbrella of the Walton Area Chamber.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
yeah, it does some....

what I am puzzled by though is why the County Commissioners- elected to run the County, a local government entity, would think it appropriate to place one ( or two) of its Councils into a private business association?

Is there a reasonable explanation for their thinking?

What am I missing here? Is that even legal? Does the County Commission have that authority? I thought the TDC was governed by statute? No?

(County tourism promotion agencies are clearly designated county agencies by the terms of s. 125.0104(9), F.S.)

Last edited:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
That's a lot of money to be flip flopping around. Anyone know current value of TDC coffers and bed tax take? What banks would be involved? Guess this big infusion of cash could possibly help the Chamber's bottom line and any banker friends they have. Would this open Chamber to complying with open meeting and sunshine laws if they don't already? I'm sure this will all be explained soon.

maryelizabeth

Beach Crab
Nov 21, 2008

The Statute allows to promote and advertise tourism in the Stae of Florida and nationally and internationally: however tax revenues ar expended for an activity,service,venue,or event the activity ,service,venue,or event shall have as one of its main purposes the attraction of tourist as evidence by the activity,service,venue,or event to tourist: further the tax can fund convention bureaus,tourist bureaus,tourist information centers, and news bureaus as county agencies or by contract with chambers of commerce or similar associations in the county which may include indirect administrative costs for services performed by the county on the behalf of the promotion agency

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I'm glad someone brought this up (and that the WCTA has given an explanation); I saw this in today's WZEP news blast and thought it just sounded like the commissioners were being lazy or were being pretty off-handed with a major budget item.

The issues with the credit card spending, along with what has come to light concerning the garbage contracts, leads me to believe that perhaps some parts of our county government aren't as careful as they should be with controls.

I am glad that the WCTA was there to stop this, and that they know that someone is watching.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Who is on the TDC board? I went to the Walton Cty website, and that page is blank.

This stinks to high heaven. There was a well coordinated consortium at the meeting to try to push this through without discussion or citizen input. In fact the first vote was rescinded because there had not been any discussion by citizens. The BCC was asked to vote on an agreement that DOES NOT EXIST. Cecelia Jones made two motions to allow Dawn Moliterno to take over the TDC without the first mention as to how much we, the citizens of Walton Co, were going to pay Ms. Moliterno to manage a county organization that does not need a management company! Larry Jones was the one commissioner who said he wouldn't vote for something he didn't know the details about. What is going on here?

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
I asked Ms. Jones, but she didn't answer that question exactly, so I have asked her again. I am not clear on whether they are talking about hiring Dawn Moliterno as interim director, or hiring the Chamber to manage the TDC.