TDC and EDC Incorporated into the Chamber of Commerce?

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by GoodWitch58, Apr 14, 2010.

1. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

This is really shocking. They sure collected the taxes for my rental when we had it with them and it disgusts me that they didn't pay them to the proper entities.

2. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

It is shocking. :blink: But Rapunzel asks some really pertinent questions. Regardless of the reasons for shaking things up at the TDC, is this the solution??

3. Suzanne Harris

Suzanne Harris Beach Fanatic

Cecelia does not have a clue. She just made the motion she was told to make. Then when questions started flying it was plain she knew NOTHING.

4. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

Write your commissioners

I am a second year member of the TDC, and I encourage you to write/email/call your commissioners if you disagree with the public/private partnership. The TDC executive director answers directly to the BCC, and the TDC (advisory board) has no control over personnel. However, most of the Council members were present at the BCC meeting and vocalized our opinions to the commissioners, the majority in opposition to the partnership.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  5. beachlivinggr8

beachlivinggr8 Beach Comber

It's because the chamber has been working behind the scenes for this to happen. First the EDA, now the TDC.

6. beachlivinggr8

beachlivinggr8 Beach Comber

Coasta Visions is something else the chamber was behind and very involved with - I believe the chamber was even the "bookkeeper" for Coastal Visions.

7. Busta Hustle

Busta Hustle Beach Fanatic

historically chambers lobby governments on behalf of their largest member contributors. The National Chapter seems to be doing lots of bank "reform" lobbying on behalf of the banks.

On a local level now might be a good time to do a 2 column TDC and Chamber list and do the old line drawing to connect side TDC to side CofC...;-)

and just for fun maybe a 3 column connection including BCC

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  8. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I cannot believe they think this is a good idea - especially considering all of the issues and scandals we have had lately.

Best analogy I can come up with is the farmer putting the fox in charge of the henhouse, burning every record/receipt, and taking up skydiving with a parachute he sews himself. :roll:

9. Here4Good

Here4Good Beach Fanatic

10. DuneLaker

DuneLaker Beach Fanatic

The NWFL Daily News has one of their lead reporters on this story. Maybe he'll be interviewing in the daylight and reporting on more people involved in this. Doesn't mention in this story, but did in others, that current and longtime professional TDC employee Tracy Louthian is serving in an interim capacity. She's not costing the TDC or county any extra money as far as I know. The TDC has a well trained and professional staff that will do just fine until a search can be done for a new permanent leader.

11. Em

Em Beach Fanatic

Does this mean that they think Tracy is unqualified to serve as interim director through the season? If I correctly recall, Sonny was promoted from within to interim director, while the County looked for a "qualified person," for Director. Then, after not finding one on their search, they promoted Sonny to Director.

I know very little about Tracy. Maybe she doesn't want that job, and hence the search for someone else to be interim dirctor. However, Tracy has been with the TDC for several years, if my memory serves me correctly, amd seems to be very smart, and I think she is likely capable of acting as interim director for the season. I'd be interested in hearing from more TDC board members on their opinion.

12. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

These would also be my questions. Tracy has acted as interim director at least twice now if my memory serves me correctly. She has been there for many years and knows the ins and outs of tourism in Walton County. What gives?

13. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I find it very hard to believe given the current economy/unemployment rate that we can't easily fill this position with a qualified person and have Tracy be interim director during the short search.

Maybe the "criteria" for filling this position needs to be examined or made public. From what I know of the salary and benefits (even if we take away the trips to Europe, limos, and $500 dinner tabs) qualified people should be lining up!

14. Here4Good

Here4Good Beach Fanatic

I cannot remember this county ever staging a successful candidate search for any position. The Fire Department did, when they hired their new chief, but the Commissioners have never done it. They filled the County Attorney spot with a local law firm, and now it is empty again and we have an "interim" attorney (who I am sure is very smart, but graduated from law school in 2007).

When the TDC job was opened the last time, it ended up being filled by the "interim". When the county administrator's job became available, the "interim" was named permanent about 6 months after being named interim.

I am not aware of any actual candidate search or major hiring that this commission has done in the last five to six years.

I am beginning to think that they are just being lazy.

15. lazin&drinkin

lazin&drinkin Beach Lover

Lazy?

Lazy? Watching them in action for the first time brought to mind clumsy, incompetent, and arrogant, and the degree of development of those qualities seemed to have required some effort. So, no, I don't think lazy is the right term.

16. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Walton County, FL - Home Page - Tourist Delevopment Council Members

Tourist Development Council Members

Scott Brannon
    Commissioner, District 1
    415 Highway 20 East
    Freeport, Fl. 32439
    brascott@co.walton.fl.us

Don McQuade
    Sand Castles Resorts and Hotels
    4393 Commons Drive East
    Suite 207
    Destin, Fl. 32541
    dmcquade@sandcastlehotels.com

Tim Norris
    RE/MAX Paradise Properties
    12815 Highway 98 West
    Suite 106
    Destin, Fl. 32541
    timnorris@earthlink.net

Steven Hilliard
    Vice President, Resort and Club Operations
    The St. Joe Company
    133-C South Water Sound Parkway
    Water Sound, Fl. 32413
    Stephen.hillard@joe.com

Jennifer Steele Saunders
    Executive Director, Cultural Arts Association
    2282 Scenic Highway 30-A West
    Santa Rosa Beach, Fl. 32459
    culturalartsed@embarqmail.com

Ken Gifford
    Rosemary Beach Cottage Rental Co.
    Vice President/Managing Director
    P.O. Box 611040
    Rosemary Beach, Fl. 32461
    kengifford@rosemarybeach.com

Maurice D. Gilbert
    Seacrest Beach Realty
    9961 East Highway 30-A
    Seacrest Beach, Fl. 32413
    sandbroker@aol.com

Mary Jo Tommas
    General Manager, One Seagrove Place
    4100 East Scenic Highway 30-A
    Seagrove Beach, Fl. 32459
    mj@oneseagroveplace.com

Mike Strange
    27 Sandestin Estates
    Destin, Fl. 32550
    mstang1212@gmail.com

17. Here4Good

Here4Good Beach Fanatic

Where did you get that link? It doesn't work.

18. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

I don't think lazy is the right word, either. You must have caught them on a bad night but then, it was your first meeting. Maybe you'll think they improved after you have attended, say ten, or more. I usually find them questioning of issues, thoughtful and respectable toward any who has something to say. Do I agree with all their decisions, no but after attending BCC meetings with regularity for many years, I certainly wouldn't classify them as "clumsy, incompetent and arrogant" though considering some of the responses they get from citizens on occasion, I can undrstand why once in awhile they might be considered arrogant. Pissed off might be a better term.

19. Jennifer Steele

Jennifer Steele Beach Fanatic

20. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Thanks - I edited your contact email.