• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

novagirl

Beach Comber
Apr 26, 2010
Santa Rosa Beach
I thought this was a great idea and recently thought of it myself although i can't afford to get it going. I was in Texas for 5 months after Katrina (I am from New Orleans). I have a way to wash my dog easily there but I do not here. I have a small dog but he still needs a bath. In Texas a girl opened one of these and her place was like a revolving door. She had a lot of business. She appeared to be doing well. I think it is a great idea, but I also worry about you selling your home. If you believe in something bad enough and really want this perhaps it is worth the risk. I am a pet sitter here in SoWal and am trying to get my
business started. I had a booming business in New Orleans until the recession hit there. I moved here b/c I love it and am going to do the same thing. Perhaps I could help you and you could help me, getting the word out that is. My business is Heart Pet Sitting. I think as well as the big tub, maybe you should have a smaller one also for the small pets so they are not so intimidated by the size of the tub. Just a suggestion. If you care to talk to me my number is (850) 622-3352 and my name is Brenda. I wish you the best of luck and I think it may just work from what I/ve seen in Texas.
Thanks Brenda, You hit the nail on the head, if you believe! I have always wanted my own business and was never able to do it. Now I own my place and I would rather have just gotton a loan against it but that just isn't possible. There are other reasons for selling besides the business too but the main one is to finance this. I take care of my invalid mother and I am also helping to raise my granddaughters. We need a bigger home and I needed a way to make an income that I can't do with a regular job. Yes I would definately support you any way I could. I always try to support local businesses. Your idea is a good one and I appreciate your input. I have been praying about this for a long time and I feel like I should go for it. I'm trying to be as knowlegeable as I can about it but in the end all I can do is try. Thanks again and BTW I'm Jane.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
Self serve dog wash

Hi Jane! If you need some help let me know. I am not working at this time. If you want to call and talk to me my number is (850) 622-3352. Please don't be afraid to call. I am happy to help with anything to do with animals. I am just trying to get my business started also. Let me know. Have a great day, Brenda

Thanks Brenda, You hit the nail on the head, if you believe! I have always wanted my own business and was never able to do it. Now I own my place and I would rather have just gotton a loan against it but that just isn't possible. There are other reasons for selling besides the business too but the main one is to finance this. I take care of my invalid mother and I am also helping to raise my granddaughters. We need a bigger home and I needed a way to make an income that I can't do with a regular job. Yes I would definately support you any way I could. I always try to support local businesses. Your idea is a good one and I appreciate your input. I have been praying about this for a long time and I feel like I should go for it. I'm trying to be as knowlegeable as I can about it but in the end all I can do is try. Thanks again and BTW I'm Jane.

criollolove

Beach Comber
Oct 9, 2009
Santa Rosa Beach
A self service dog wash can be a great business. It is better if you combine it with daycare and/or boarding. Also remember to have a low tub for the really big guys. I worked for a canine resort in KC with self service and they were always busy especially on the weekends. Good luck.

novagirl

Beach Comber
Apr 26, 2010
Santa Rosa Beach
A self service dog wash can be a great business. It is better if you combine it with daycare and/or boarding. Also remember to have a low tub for the really big guys. I worked for a canine resort in KC with self service and they were always busy especially on the weekends. Good luck.
Actually a dog daycare was my original idea and I now have plans to get this going and hopefully add the daycare down the road. Thanks for your input!.

novagirl

Beach Comber
Apr 26, 2010
Santa Rosa Beach
Thank you so much for your offer to help Brenda. Things are going a bit slow right now. I have to find a place for us to live and then finish the deal on my place in order to start working on a place to open. I know I want to try to open on 98 in the SRB area. And I'm trying to figure out how I want to design the inside. I know how I want to do the baths (including some of the great suggestions from everyone) but I'm not sure about how to decorate or paint the inside walls. I've never been good at that sort of thing.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
Do wash

Hi Jane! How would you like to get together sometime and we could talk about your plans? I might have some ideas about how to decorate the inside. I need to make some good friends anyway especially animal lover friends. You can call me at (850) 622-3352 or (504) 231-5358 or you can give me you number and I'll call you. I would love to meet you. Brenda

Thank you so much for your offer to help Brenda. Things are going a bit slow right now. I have to find a place for us to live and then finish the deal on my place in order to start working on a place to open. I know I want to try to open on 98 in the SRB area. And I'm trying to figure out how I want to design the inside. I know how I want to do the baths (including some of the great suggestions from everyone) but I'm not sure about how to decorate or paint the inside walls. I've never been good at tha.,t sort of thing.

Shells

Beach Comber
Mar 16, 2010
I have a miniature dachshund and he is super easy to wash and dry, so I wouldn't use the dog wash place. I'm guessing this might be a better idea for bigger dogs, which would lessen the number of possible clientele.

I would, however, use the dog daycare on occasion. I think adding that service would help build clientele considering those who wouldn't do the wash like myself. Although, I would be picky about the environment I left my dog in while not with him; so there would have to be a lot of thought and planning involved to make me feel comfortable with my dog being there without me.

Hope my input helps. :D

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
I am not sure what the market for this is in the 30-A area but its huge here, and I was on my way right now to use the one in my area.

As to why, at the doggie wash, they provide tubs that my dog can walk into with me having to lift her 70 pounds, the tubs are raised so I don't have to bend over to wash her which is great for my back.

They provide everything you need, towels, dryers, shampoo, conditioner and a water proof apron.

Also I don't like my dog to scratch up my tub in my house with her nails and washing her outside with cold water is not good either.

Good luck and if you do it, I will look you up when we are down with our dog.

chrisjohnson850

Beach Comber
Jul 19, 2009
I think it is a good idea and I love to see innovation. The only advice I will give you is what I am sure you have already thought, we are still in a recession. The type of business you are planning will not apply to people who do not want to give their dog a bath nor people who are on a tight budget. If this is three years in the making and you are infact liquidating one of your last assets, I would say put it back on the burner give it another year for peoples finances to level out.

The type of service you are offering is targeting those who dont pay for dog grooming, so they are probably not as financially secure and watching what they sepnd. Normally this is a good customer and target market to offer a service to at a good price, but right now, that's the customer that has cut having coffee out to save 2.00.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
Dog Wash

:wave:Hi Jane! I washed my "little" chihuaha the other day and had to do it in the kitchen sink which I did not like and they don't have the spray nozel like I had in my home in N.O. He is afraid of a tub so I have no where else to wash him. I think all size dogs would benefit from your dog wash if people like me have a hard time washing their dog inside. The place I saw in Texas that was very busy gave me the idea to open one but I just don't have the money. She did very well. Her prices were very reasonable so people used her service. I would use your service. My dog was very scared when I washed him since I had to use the faucet and not the spray nozel. I did not like it and neither did he. I think most people take their dog to a groomer these days because they don't want to wash them in their tub and I just don't think many people wash dogs outside anymore. I think you will do well with it even though things are rough right now. People live here and still have to wash their dogs. Perhaps you could hire a groomer to do a little grooming if they need it after they wash the dog. It would cheaper than going to a groomer for the whole process. I would love to talk to you and tell you about what I have seen and the set ups I've seen that I thought were great. I volunteered at a doggie day care also. For that you have to have enough land with. Please call me. (850) 622-3352. I want to help. It is risky, but everyone who starts a business takes that risk. I think 30A could benefit from your dog wash. I get tired of driving to Destin for everything. Thanks and I hope you call. Benda