• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NunYa

Beach Comber
Jun 3, 2010
Many people do not realize just how terrible shopping at Wal-mart is. It's my job to tell them.

Every dollar NOT spent at Wal-mart has incredibly positive results for our community.

Ignoring the issue has incredibly negative results for our community.

Battle picked - the consequences of this one are just too big to ignore.

I understand your passion Scooter,and everybody has heard your cry, and I do not dispute your points.
As stated above I would approximate that 60 to 75% of So-wal population wont be shopping at this particular Wal-Mart, or at least they say they wont.
Now my issue is the tourist, they WILL shop there. Period. Not all of them but most will.
So What will you do? Stand at the intersection of 331 and 98 on Saturdays advising each and every one not to shop there because of_____________________, or the entrance of Mid Bay Bridge?
And also here is a thought, a lot of people may already know the "evils" of Wal-Mart and not care, or just flat out dont want to be educated.
I mean really, this Wal-Mart IS being built AS WE SPEAK. This Wal-Mart WILL have profits.
It is what it is.
I mean no harm here, Im simply suggesting that all this energy be poured into something that is useful. Because as far as I and a lot of others are concerned, this issue is a dead horse.
:wave:

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
It is not useless to continue to be vocal regarding Wal-Mart. If it encourages or reminds people to shop local, it is always worth the energy. All should continue to be vocal in an attempt to keep more money in the local economy and stave off, as much as possible, losses from local businesses.
Just because Wal-Mart is built doesn't mean I will buy stuff there when I come to the beach. Yes, many will. But hopefully MANY won't! ...:dunno:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Reread this thread and you will find many posts dismissing exactly the concerns cited in the article I posted. The reason I posted it wasn't because I am unaware/unaccepting that this Wal-mart is already being built - but because it specifically shows just how bad Wal-mart is for a community.

Not based on feelings, misconceptions, and anecdotes like many claim, but based on studying 50 recently opening stores and their effect on the community.

THE ONLY WAY TO FIGHT THEM NOW IS TO CONVINCE PEOPLE NOT TO SHOP THERE AND FOR ME TO CONTINUE TO NOT SHOP THERE.

That aside, Wal-mart will want to build more stores in the future (and is already opening more in this area) and tourists/out of towners also read these forums.

No plans to picket or anything like that, the anti-Wal-mart reminders and rants are just a small part of my efforts to promote local businesses and food production.

You have your chosen issues, I have mine ................ and doing what I can to keep Wal-mart from destroying my community and the US economy is one of them.

Every little bit helps.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Reread this thread and you will find many posts dismissing exactly the concerns cited in the article I posted. The reason I posted it wasn't because I am unaware/unaccepting that this Wal-mart is already being built - but because it specifically shows just how bad Wal-mart is for a community.

Not based on feelings, misconceptions, and anecdotes like many claim, but based on studying 50 recently opening stores and their effect on the community.

THE ONLY WAY TO FIGHT THEM NOW IS TO CONVINCE PEOPLE NOT TO SHOP THERE AND FOR ME TO CONTINUE TO NOT SHOP THERE.

That aside, Wal-mart will want to build more stores in the future (and is already opening more in this area) and tourists/out of towners also read these forums.

No plans to picket or anything like that, the anti-Wal-mart reminders and rants are just a small part of my efforts to promote local businesses and food production.

You have your chosen issues, I have mine ................ and doing what I can to keep Wal-mart from destroying my community and the US economy is one of them.

Every little bit helps.

I think the article you posted was citing union propaganda.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I think the article you posted was citing union propaganda.
Unfortunately, SB44 does either not recognize this or chooses to ignore it. I WILL shop at WalMart. I WILL patronize local businesses whenever possible. It is not an either, or. To even intimate that local businesses always provide adequate health insurance, retirement and other benefits for their employees is ludicrous. They, on average, do no better, and probably a lot less so than WalMart. It is a fruitless argument. WalMart has its place as do the "mom and pop" businesses. I shall patronize both and keep as much of my savings as possible.

NunYa

Beach Comber
Jun 3, 2010
It is what it is.
Let me know how this argument worked out for you in five years.

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
They should rename their stores ChinaSlaveMart. The greeters can hand whips to the shoppers to show the WalMart employees their love. No unions, and no American made goods. It's the perfect setting for those that have theirs.

PAbeachlover

Beach Comber
Sep 4, 2005
Erie PA
I firmly believe approximately 60 to 75% of the population doesn't care for it and wont shop there, however, what about those coming into our area on vacation?
Do you think they are going to say "NO WE WONT GO"? I mean really.
Yes WE as a community can boycott it but WE are not what they are counting on.
Have a great day!!

At home, I shop at WalMart only occasionally because I really don't care for their tactics. When we go on vacation we try our best to frequent local business and restaurants because we like the feel of where we are. In SoWal, we love places like the Modica Market. Even though we may pay more there than at WalMart, we choose to do that as part of our vacation. We just say, "Hey we're on vacation, what does it matter what it costs." At home, we have the best regional grocery store in the Northeast - Wegmans. It may be a little pricier than WalMart or Giant Eagle, but is far far superior. So when we visit SoWal at the end of the year, we shall be shopping and eating local.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Don't worry. The SoWalmart isn't going to happen.

As soon as someone in Corporate realizes that somebody seriously screwed up and accidentally built it right on top of 98 without enough room for a parking lot they'll just knock it down and cut their losses.

;)

It really is small for a walmart.
http://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1166

It looks like about the size of a publix but it is actually more like twice the size of a publix.

I imagine they will sell a lot of beer, snacks, fishing tackle, beach toys, towels, umbrellas, bathing suits, t-shirts, sunscreen, etc.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Looks like scooty's campaign might be working. . .

Wal-Mart, humbled king of retail, plots rebound

Three years ago, Wal-Mart ruled for convenience, selection and price. But today it is losing customers and revenue, and smarting from decisions that backfired.
Wal-Mart is not in danger of ceding its place atop the retail world. But competitors have begun to chip away at its dominance.

Revenue at Wal-Mart stores open at least a year, a key measurement of any retailer's health, has fallen for six straight quarters. That is the longest such stretch since at least 1980, when ICSC chief economist Michael Niemira began tracking the figures.
Wal-Mart executives have acknowledged that fewer people have walked into its stores every quarter for the past year compared with the corresponding period a year earlier. While Wal-Mart has lost shoppers, competitors have gained.

Still:

Target is Wal-Mart's largest rival, though its revenue of $65 billion for its last fiscal year was only one-sixth of Wal-Mart's.
Wal-Mart, humbled king of retail, plots rebound - Yahoo! News