• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I understand the square footage requirement for short term rental occupancy may go south...and it should. This does not mean any kind of commercial enterprise should be allowed to be conducted in residential venues. They are two entirely different issues but one is trying to be used to solve the other.

So I have to go out and rent an office space now? My business requires no one to come to my home and only gets loud when I'm trying to communicate the fact that someone has mis-dialed an 800# and is not talking to Chrysler Benefits.

MRBS

Beach Lover
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for the responses. My understanding about beach wedding permitting is that a permit (and sometimes an organizer type outfit) is required to have a wedding on the sand if 50+ will be attending. On the one hand it seems silly to not allow a couple to hold the reception at the rental home after having been married on the beach in front, but on the other hand, I can see how I might be peeved if I was a resident there and my neighbor's renters had receptions all the time. If it only happened rarely, I would be okay with that. I only ask because a sweet friend was hoping to rent a beachfront home for the week (not an inexpensive deal), get married on the beach at sunset (awww) and have the home serve as the reception site for the evening, since grandmas, grandpas and some others might prefer to not stay on the beach after the nuptials. Plus, everyone would need facilities at some point. Will be interested to see how it turns out.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
So I have to go out and rent an office space now? My business requires no one to come to my home and only gets loud when I'm trying to communicate the fact that someone has mis-dialed an 800# and is not talking to Chrysler Benefits.

According to county code, "Home occupations" are allowed to operate within residential areas. Check here on the county web site for more details:

Walton County, FL - Home Page - Home Occupations

Last edited:

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
Thanks for the responses. My understanding about beach wedding permitting is that a permit (and sometimes an organizer type outfit) is required to have a wedding on the sand if 50+ will be attending. On the one hand it seems silly to not allow a couple to hold the reception at the rental home after having been married on the beach in front, but on the other hand, I can see how I might be peeved if I was a resident there and my neighbor's renters had receptions all the time. If it only happened rarely, I would be okay with that. I only ask because a sweet friend was hoping to rent a beachfront home for the week (not an inexpensive deal), get married on the beach at sunset (awww) and have the home serve as the reception site for the evening, since grandmas, grandpas and some others might prefer to not stay on the beach after the nuptials. Plus, everyone would need facilities at some point. Will be interested to see how it turns out.

A beach wedding permit is required for wedding on a "Public Beach" or private beach no matter the size.

Beach Weddings / FAQ / weddings / home march

The only difference is that weddings that are below 50 people on a beach, the permit is free.

For more than 50 people, you have to pay for the permit.

Go here for more info:

http://www.co.walton.fl.us/Document...utm_medium=bsw-website&utm_source=bsw-listing

And, there is no need for "security" personnel to be hired, unless an "event" will have more than 100 people.

Last edited:

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL

I might suggest to your sweet friend not to rent a house in the same community where some of these notorious "event houses" have been operating. This might just be like adding fuel to the fire. Keep in mind, Walton County is a great place for such events to take place as long as everyone is "neighborly" and follows the "rules". And I am sure that is already in your friends plan.

I have attended similarly held beach wedding events and receptions just like your friend wants to do, and they have never created any problems that I am aware of.

Of course, the wedding party was not blairing "Burning Down the House" by the Talking Heads at 10 pm at night.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Ordinance Hearing Continued

Walton?s Certificate of Land Use Ordinance Hearing Continued

Due to an inadvertent error in publication of the full legal notice required by state statutes, the Certificate of Land Use Compliance Ordinance Public Hearing, originally scheduled for March 22nd will be continued to April 12th by the Walton County Board of Commissioners.

The purpose of the hearing is to receive public input on a proposed ordinance known by many as the ?Wedding House Ordinance? or the ?Short Term Rental Ordinance.? It is actually entitled ?An Ordinance Of Walton County, Florida, Establishing Regulations And Permitting Requirements For Businesses Located Within The County; Setting Forth Maximum Occupancy Rates; Regulating Parking; Providing Regulations For Short Term Rentals; Requiring Posting Of The Certificate And Fee; And Providing For Inspection, Enforcement, Penalties, Severability, And An Effective Date.? This ordinance in various forms and drafts has been under consideration for some time.

This Public Hearing will be held at the Walton County Courthouse Annex located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd., Santa Rosa Beach, FL on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 4:00 P.M., or soon thereafter.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
Walton?s Certificate of Land Use Ordinance Hearing Continued

Due to an inadvertent error in publication of the full legal notice required by state statutes, the Certificate of Land Use Compliance Ordinance Public Hearing, originally scheduled for March 22nd will be continued to April 12th by the Walton County Board of Commissioners.

The purpose of the hearing is to receive public input on a proposed ordinance known by many as the ?Wedding House Ordinance? or the ?Short Term Rental Ordinance.? It is actually entitled ?An Ordinance Of Walton County, Florida, Establishing Regulations And Permitting Requirements For Businesses Located Within The County; Setting Forth Maximum Occupancy Rates; Regulating Parking; Providing Regulations For Short Term Rentals; Requiring Posting Of The Certificate And Fee; And Providing For Inspection, Enforcement, Penalties, Severability, And An Effective Date.? This ordinance in various forms and drafts has been under consideration for some time.

This Public Hearing will be held at the Walton County Courthouse Annex located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd., Santa Rosa Beach, FL on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at 4:00 P.M., or soon thereafter.

Mr. Hudson, thank you for the update and additional information.

Not to sound like I am complaining, but as of last Friday the "official name of the legislation was the "Cerificate of Land Use Compliance Ordinance", (aka the Wedding House Ordinance, aka the Short Term Rental Ordinance).

The new name sounds as though the legislation is expanding even further. This can not be a good sign. One must wonder what all of this has cost the tax payer since October 2010 when it "appears" it was first discussed in a BCC meeting.

I can't wait to see the name of the new "agency" that will be established to enforce the "revised" legislation.

Keep on the look out, I suspect sooner or later the regulation of Lemonade Stands and Yard Sales will be added to the legislation.

Accept my apology for my sarcasm.

Can everyone hear me, please please, just enforce the existing county codes for residential property use, fire safety, occupancy, noise and parking and this would be addressed.

We would then be done with this; the residents would have their peace and quiet they deserve, road safety problems would not exist, and short term renters would be left alone to generate income, and wedding events could take place near or on the beach while respecting the rights to "peace" that residents have.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Is it that the current ordinances are vague and they have to pass this one so they have a clear legal right to enforce?

It seems like all these discussions boil down to a lack of clarity, people bending/breaking the rules, and then lawyers/politics preventing enforcement.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Is it that the current ordinances are vague and they have to pass this one so they have a clear legal right to enforce?

It seems like all these discussions boil down to a lack of clarity, people bending/breaking the rules, and then lawyers/politics preventing enforcement.

How are they vague?

Noise ordinance got hammered out very specifically.

Fire code is black and white, there's really no gray area there. The only issue with this one is that during busy holiday weekends it puts a strain on limited resources since the fire department apparently can't just send out a chief or deputy chief the whole brigade has to follow. :roll: