• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
In a vein to try and be helpful, here are two ways you can learn more about what the TDC is doing online.

One is to visit their partners site: Beaches of South Walton Partners site

The second is to email them and ask to be included on their mailing list for the monthly e-newsletter (or view it online):

The Edge / Marketing Tools / TDC Research / partners / home april

Thank you Beachsio! this is the most useful information we have seen so far.

Finding info on Walton County TDC meetings is very difficult. Even this site (partners site) is limited, but it does include links to presentations/workshops - after the fact (even the April 13 presentation).

I checked on Walton County site and there are no links to TDC workshop or meeting schedules, as you might find on other County sites such as Pinellas County:
Pinellas County Florida, Tourist Development Council

While looking at Visit St Pete Clearwater, I was thinking that our situation (many communities) is not so unique. Many areas in Florida, such as Pinellas County, encompass a huge area with dozens of communities - all with unique attractions - that must be promoted. After taking a look at St Pete/Clearwater, it looks like they highlight and promote all the different and wonderful aspects of all of the communities, instead of branding it as one place. They have city life, many beach communities, museums, fishing and outdoors, tons of resorts and tourist attractions, and much more.

I think our situation is rather simple in comparison. Our area is uniquely wonderful in many ways - it should be an easy task to promote, with some fresh campaigns, and also targeting ecotourism, and highlighting beautiful features and unique towns. I am more convinced that our branding is in place, maybe it needs a little tweaking or updating. That is just me though.

Last edited:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I realize the one of the bullet points of this is that people don't know where they are. Is there anyway that could be expanded upon? I'm not too worried about someone staying in Dune Allen and not knowing that it's specifically called Dune Allen. I have a feeling this is the big issue and I don't feel that it's a problem to be putting over a million dollars worth of focus on. If someone is here and truly doesn't know what county they are in then it's a problem. I feel that there's some serious spinning of a survey/poll that isn't being revealed.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
My exact sentiments. These people have already gotten here, somehow, they know they like it here. They know how to get back here. I think way too much focus on this branding concept, and not enough just plain old advertisement. I know that I live here, and only have basic cable, but I have never , not even once, ever seen a television advertisement for the beaches of South Walton. Am I missing something?

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
If those street lights don't work we do not miss millions of dollars in sales tax, bed tax and gasoline tax and businesses do not close.

Those street lights do not work (and they never have). People don't use them.

Last edited: