• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
Thank you Scooterbug, and Pilot is right........this was not some completely unpreventable or random act of nature, it was a deliberate crime by a person known to be threatening. There is nothing else we can do for Courtney now; but call the Sheriff in the future. We need to be more proactive and adopt a "neighborhood watch" mentality. Sowal is a better place than most, and the full time residents are key to keeping it that way.

The Sheriff WAS contacted by residents of Cassine the week prior to this incident concerning a man sleeping behind the restroom of the pool area. He left his sleeping bag and other items during the day and apparently came back to sleep at night sometimes. The residents were told by the sheriff's office to leave the sleeping bag in place and to contact them if/when they say him hanging out in that area. Sheriff's deputies began driving through the area at night. Perhaps this scared off the guy, or perhaps he came back in the wee hours of the morning, because residents were never able to catch him sleeping there.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
I think it is so sad that something of this magnitude brought the issue of the homeless people to light. The thing that really gets me is that they are allowed to camp on the beach where as if you or I tried to do that at night, they would run us off. I don't think they should be run off, but I think they should have some kind of help whether they like it or not. If having a choice of not being allowed to "live" on the beach and getting help or leave the area with no help, perhaps they would take the help and just maybe, just maybe, get their life back. We see how easy it is for someone that does not get the help they need can suddenly snap. There is no way of predicting what may happen, but there is a way to hopefully prevent anything like this from happening again and that is to keep the beaches free from anyone camping on the beach, as it should be, and giving them a roof of some sort as well as other help that they may need. I am not saying that someone with a home could not snap and do something awful like this, but at least we do not worry the locals or the tourists having them "live" on our (what everyone calls Paradise) beautiful beaches. I would be nervous of anyone camping on the beach at night if I went walking on the beach in the dark at night with just a flashlight. Bottom line - there is no camping on the beach so why are they allowed to stay there. There should be some program to help them. I feel for them, but at the same time, that is not where they belong. Again, I am so upset that it took something as horrible as this to bring this issue to light. Courtney does not have a second chance to be afraid of homeless people or not since the one she encountered made sure of that. I feel so bad for her family and cannot even begin to know how they must fee. Some of us moved here because of the beauty and serenty and safey of SoWa only to have it blakened by this horrific crime. Courtney never got to enjoy the beauty of SoWal. I sure hope someone does what they can to move the homeless from the beaches since no one is allowed to camp on the beach period. Maybe we should all go sleep on the beach one night as a testimony to this problem and someone wll notice. Life is so difficult for everyone right now with the recession and living on the beach is not the answer. They sure have a beautifu view and no bills to pay. I am sure I will get some critical responses to this post. That is not what this is about, it is about keeping this place safe by doing everything we can in our power to possibly prevent some other horrific crime. Perhaps the only good that will come out of Courtney's death is to bring this issue to light. I'm pretty shocked, because I moved here for the people and am really surprised at how judgmental and critical people are to those who post what they don't agree with. So have at it!!!

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
The Sheriff WAS contacted by residents of Cassine the week prior to this incident concerning a man sleeping behind the restroom of the pool area. He left his sleeping bag and other items during the day and apparently came back to sleep at night sometimes. The residents were told by the sheriff's office to leave the sleeping bag in place and to contact them if/when they say him hanging out in that area. Sheriff's deputies began driving through the area at night. Perhaps this scared off the guy, or perhaps he came back in the wee hours of the morning, because residents were never able to catch him sleeping there.

I was told that the night before the murder, Steven Cozzie had actually been trespassing at The Retreat. He had been found in the pool house and was chased away by their security. It appears that the residents of Cassine and SoWal law enforcement had been successful at removing him from their neighborhood and he simply moved on and found other places to spend the night the week prior to the incident. Blue Mountain Beach is a long walk from Seagrove.

heartbren

Beach Fanatic
Sep 6, 2009
Blue Mountain Beach
Blue Mountain, Seagrove, Gul Place, wherever; we all frequent the same areas or at least I do. I would bet that if there were homeless peole living under walkovers in Seaside (because of the high tourist attraction there) they would not be there for long. I almost rented a house in Cassine and stayed there as well as Seagrove (for 30 days) before I landed where I did. I had no preference, just wanted to live in this friendly, beautiful and serene place away from the violence and the stress of the city. I stayed all over 30A until I found a permanent place where I did. This is not about who lives where, etc. it is about 30A itself and what it means to people and why they visit here. This is the last place anyone would have probably thought this would occur. There are bad apples everywhere and no place is perfect, but when I moved here people told me they leave doors unlocked, etc. b/c nothing bad ever happens here. It can happen anywhere and that is why I have always locked my doors no matter what people told me. It is just a sad and horrible situation which myself and I am sure others feel could have been prevented in a number of ways.

Courtney's family is going through a nightmare that will never be over. I think that is all that matters and that we do all we can to prevent something like this from ever happening again without hurting anyone, but helping them when they do not know what is best for themselves. Signing off for good now. I will say one thing before I go, people are very judgmental here and I moved here because I thought they were not and that this would be a peaceful place to live where I could just pay my bills, and live in peace. It is a very clickish place although a very beautiful one. Why can't we have our own opinions without comments about them? I just want to live my life in peace as I am sure Courtney and her family wanted to do here as well.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articles/murder-41480-sexual-battery.html

DeFUNIAK SPRINGS — A Walton County grand jury has indicted Steven Cozzie on four felony charges, including premeditated murder.

The 22-year-old Seagrove Beach man has been charged with first-degree, premeditated murder, aggravated child abuse, armed kidnapping and sexual battery, according to a news release from the state attorney’s office.

jabelle

Beach Crab
Jul 25, 2011
So are there anymore recent updates? We are visiting soon and will be staying in Cassine Gardens. One of the draws of this area was the thought of letting my older children have a little more freedom with biking but think that will be out of the question now.

Also, I am not familiar with the Bramble walkover - could someone explain where that is? Any other concerns? Thank you!