• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
Let me start by saying I'm an incredibly patient person, born of Southern temperament, so I assume everyone is doing their best. During the busy tourist season, I don't expect my food and drinks "chop chop!" and I don't mind sharing my husband's napkin, knife or water glass if the server forgot, or was too harried to stop by for a quick check-in.

But recently I've encountered restaurant employees with very poor manners and I thought I'd dispense a little wisdom for their employers, managers and to the workers themselves.

1. Everyone on staff should be attentive to the customers entering or leaving the establishment. We waited in the foyer of one restaurant while staff was milling around and no one looked at us or greeted us. We instantly felt unwelcome. Every employee can be trained to smile and say, "Hello! We're really busy, but the hostess will be back in just a minute..."

Similarly, on a recent visit to a Seaside establishment where the food was high priced and the portions were small and the restaurant was half-full, I watched as two employees stood chatting while two families (who'd probably dropped over $60 at lunch) paid and left without acknowledgment from the staff standing RIGHT THERE! It was rude.

Here's the way it should go: Your customers have paid, have lingered for a few more minutes afterward and are gathering their things. The server comes over, "Thank y'all so much for stopping in. I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation and that you'll come back again while you're here." That certainly beats the attitude of "you've already paid and tipped so I'm done with you."

2. If you can lean you can clean. SAME restaurant, same employees – chatting idly while two tables sat full of dirty dishes for the next thirty minutes. If something needs doing and you've got nothing to do, DO IT! As a manager, I've cleaned toilets, mopped floors, poured drinks, fetched napkins, jostled babies... If you're in the service industry every service is your job. It's never okay for an employee to look at a mess and think – "Someone will get that...."

I've also entered a couple of area restaurants where the floor and other surfaces were sticky or there was a distinct smell of spoilage upon entering. An unclean restaurant is unpardonable!! If the night staff is too tired to thoroughly clean before they leave (which is entirely possible in the busy season), then the day shift should be paid to come in early and give the restaurant a clean before the day's customers arrive. Better yet, hire a cleaning crew! (P.S. Don't neglect the condiments on the tables. I'm not a germaphobe, but I've seen a few bottles and dispensers so dirty that I wouldn't let my dog take a lick.)

3. Don't coast on your laurels and don't serve food you wouldn't serve to your most beloved family member. My husband and I visited a previously well-regarded restaurant for our anniversary. We were so excited. Two hours and a hundred dollars later, we felt like we would have been better off taking Whattaburgers and a bottle of Champipple to the beach. Since then, I've noticed that their reviews have gotten spotty, and I wish I'd know that before I planned our special night.

I live here, so I can afford to be tolerant, but there are people who save up for an entire year to bring their families down for vacation. It's the highlight of their year, and I hate to think that they're leaving disappointed, feeling unwelcome or taken advantage of for being mere "tourists." I like to think we're all representatives of the area. I want them to leave thinking about how lucky we are to live here. (And we ARE!)

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Wow, that was a great lecture! and it is one we can all apply to our work and lives here during tourist season when things are so busy. Have pride in our community, strive for excellence in your work, drive safely and make our visitors welcome. And meditate while cleaning up the beach - try not to grumble too much - most folks take care of our natural environment but some just don't get it and never will.

BTW, we had a fantastic dinner at Christianos last weekend. Not packed. Excellent service. Wonderful food. May be the best chicken & sausage gumbo on the coast.

Last edited:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
For the first time in a long time we walked out on a place earlier this week. I will not name names, but it is a newer place (a redo of an old place, actually). We made reservations for 8PM, arrived on time and waited at the empty reception podium for at least two minutes before anyone came up. Make no mistake, there was no lack of staff and the place was dead (one table of diners, as best as I could tell). A lady finally came up, and I'm not kidding, asked us what we wanted(!). We told her we had reservations and she fumbled through some papers to confirm, and yes, we were on the list. She excused herself "to go find a table" (again ,the place was dead). After about three minutes of her being gone, she was coming back and stopped en route by the bartender to run a drink to the one active table (as two employees loitered around the bar with nothing to do). She was gone for about two more minutes, and that was enough, I told the troops we were leaving. She came out into the parking lot and tried to get us to go back in, but I had seen enough...it was probably going to be a bad and expensive experience so we went elsewhere and had a very pleasant dinner. I'm predicting the place folds or at least morphs into something different within a year.

debesquire

Beach Lover
Aug 15, 2010
Diversification by folks that really shouldn't

Wow :shock:! I didn't know the federal Department of Veterans' Affairs had gone into the restaurant staff customer service training business! No good can come of that!!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Restaurant owners and managers should watch a few episodes of Restaurant Imposssible on Food Network for some pointers. Yes, most of these are older restaurants that were successful but now failing, but the same principles apply to newer restaurants.

BR, the funny thing was we had all just watched an episode of Restaurant Disasters, or whatever the show is where Gordon Ramsey goes into floundering restaurants and turns them around. Maybe that is why I had a low threshold for such bad service.

BR, the funny thing was we had all just watched an episode of Restaurant Disasters, or whatever the show is where Gordon Ramsey goes into floundering restaurants and turns them around. Maybe that is why I had a low threshold for such bad service.
How coincidental! I tell you what, watching those shows has had the same effect on me. Some of the pointers apply to other businesses as well, such as greeting customers when they arrive. Actually my mother always taught me to acknowledge the salesperson when I leave a business by saying, "Thank you."

SneakyPete

Beach Lover
May 8, 2009
Beach Runner -- Me too!! And it does apply to all sorts of businesses. A few years ago I entered a local women's clothing/gift shop and apparently I wasn't dressed in enough finery to merit a greeting or any attention at all. I still gave the store a quick circle, and as I left I said, "Thank you!" very pleasantly, as I'd been taught -- and received a strange look. I never went back and I wasn't surprised when the store closed very quickly. Why do people who don't seem to actually LIKE other people go into the service industry? I've always enjoyed making people feel welcome and happy, because it's such a simple thing to achieve when you're dealing with folks on vacation, all primed to be jolly. (Imagine working in a children's cancer ward or a nursing home...how hard it must be to make happiness happen in a joint like that, and yet people do.)

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
It is called "common courtesy". so many people comment on how friendly everyone is in our area - and I do believe it to be the case - at least in my own daily experiences. I met a young woman working here for the summer - she is here from Texas, but originally from California. She said she was in shock to find out how friendly everyone was everywhere she went here and Panama City Beach and all around. She had never spent time in this part of the country before and couldn't say enough about how different it was from back home.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. My favorite customer friendly place? Publix!!! [went to new Walmart yesterday and there was just none of that going on at all. depressing actually]

Last edited: