• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I didn't want Walmart either, but I didn't have a choice - and I do shop at the Super Walmart in Destin once or twice a year... so is it asking too much to have the same kind of items offered at any other Super Walmart? I just feel that if we are going to open up 98 to big box stuff and develop the land into a big huge parking lot and store (and subsequent other developments which follow), then make it good enough to be here in South Walton - make it worth the land and effort. why not serve locals as well as tourists!

We have a Walmart, and people seem happy about it overall. I still have to drive to Destin or PCB for real shopping - nothing has changed - except for Hwy 98.

I thought I would rather like having a smallish walmart - I LOVE my small publix. The small Walmart isn't worthwhile, imo. Not worth trouble to drive there and walk around trying to find what I need to find that most of what I need is just not there.

Last edited:

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
My first trip to the silly little Sowal smallmart I was looking for Miracle Gro and a sunshade for my car. They had neither, which was disappointing. I did decide to stay and do my week's grocery shopping, and I saved a bundle compared to what I usually pay at Publix, so that was a good thing. I too wish they'd devote less of their space to the touristy crapola... and they may do so now that it's the off season.

swantree

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
SRB
www.blueswell.com
my problem with any of the box stores is that if you bring one then you might as well invite all of them. I do shop at Wally world and for clients basic needs i use it more than some. i would rather it be, i have to travel to any of them like i did in past years. did it really make my life better to have one right here..........not at the cost of having more coming in the future?:roll:

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
my problem with any of the box stores is that if you bring one then you might as well invite all of them. I do shop at Wally world and for clients basic needs i use it more than some. i would rather it be, i have to travel to any of them like i did in past years. did it really make my life better to have one right here..........not at the cost of having more coming in the future?:roll:

Agree! It seems some people unlike yourself can't see the big picture. Saving a few bucks on toilet paper is not worth all the crap - pun intended.

agrier57205

Beach Comber
Jul 29, 2011
I despise the tiny Walmart. I went there to see if I could find a good deal on a xbox, kinect, iPad, and laptop. The electronic department had no idea what I was asking for, in fact the sales girl said," I don't know, I usually don't work in electronics." After asking for someone who does, the salesman told me to check online. I left irritated and went to Best Buy, where a young guy in the camera department managed to get me everything I needed. I was actually happy to drop 2000 at Best Buy just knowing my money wasn't going in to that crappy store.

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
each time i have gone into the mini walmart, they do not have what i am looking for. the last time, i wanted to purchase a sun shield for my car windshield. the employee told me "we don't have those...we're really a store for the tourists". i have no idea how they plan to stay open all year 'round but just appeal to tourists. i would love to know what company did their marketing study.

Last edited:

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
i hope all of you who really wanted the walmart enjoy what our section of hwy 98 will become in the next 10 years.