• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Exactly. Sure glad we had that mandatory evacuation for a TROPICAL STORM.

May have seemed a little premature but don't forget we were targeted just a day or so ago - the EOC followed their plan which is a good thing Also, visitors and residents need time to plan for evacuation in worst case scenarios. And mandatory evacuation isn't mandatory as far as I know.

I am grateful at this point but it's not over yet. Thinking of our friends to the West.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
That's news to me. If that's how they view it, it would be really nice if they would stick with the phrase voluntary evacuation, or recommended evacuation, or even strongly recommended. Mandatory takes away options.

I don't know why it is called mandatory evacuation. My guess is that they want visitors to seriously consider leaving, folks who may need assistance during and after a storm, and also anyone living in a very dangerous location, and RVs, trailers. I have never heard of anyone being forced to leave. But maybe.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
I don't know why it is called mandatory evacuation. My guess is that they want visitors to seriously consider leaving, folks who may need assistance during and after a storm, and also anyone living in a very dangerous location, and RVs, trailers. I have never heard of anyone being forced to leave. But maybe.

Well, there are many low lying areas that do flood easily and that makes it difficult to help you if you decide to stay. I live in the zone C area of the flood map and even though I will be OK, the road to my place tends to flood easily. That has to be considered as well.

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
Agree. There are many considerations. The evacuation and storm made most of us think about our options.

Yep, I was ready to leave. I had hotel reservations far, far away. Thankfully, I didn't need to use them.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Just got up and surprised to see a sky full of stars. Clouds on the horizon. I can hear the surf from 5 miles away. Not much rain overnight that I heard.

Isaac is still a tropical storm.

at201209_5day.gif

Last edited: