• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Our oldest took Latin on FLVS when he was at SWHS. The teachers were challenging and demanding, the classes were organized and somewhat interactive, and surprisingly, the he had a lot of contact with the teachers. I don't know if all FLVS classes are so good, but we had a wonderful experience with the Latin.

I think a student has to be at least in middle school? Or are there classes for elementary?

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I've been told that the school district is hiring temporary elementary teachers long enough to report to the DOE to comply with the class size law. After that my understanding is that the state won't check to see if the class size law is being complied with so class sizes are likely to be larger than the law is supposed to allow. Butler is advertising for 8 or 9 temporary teachers.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
I've been told that the school district is hiring temporary elementary teachers long enough to report to the DOE to comply with the class size law. After that my understanding is that the state won't check to see if the class size law is being complied with so class sizes are likely to be larger than the law is supposed to allow. Butler is advertising for 8 or 9 temporary teachers.

I am wondering if it is for DOE or the election. Once again politics and looking good with no substance behind it prevails. If we reelect these people, we get what we deserve, but our kids still deserve better.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I am wondering if it is for DOE or the election. Once again politics and looking good with no substance behind it prevails. If we reelect these people, we get what we deserve, but our kids still deserve better.

I can show you e-mails from the DOE stating that it has very little control over local school districts and never undermines decisions local school districts make. It really doesn't matter who serves on the board since they always rubber stamp the decisions of the superintendent which is a rather screwed up chain of command. Also the only new board member will be a member of Mrs. Anderson's circle, replacing retiring member Wilkerson. Mr. Davis ran unopposed and he actually is the only board member who seems to be competent. The board chairman, Mr. Wallace ran on his business "expertise", namely being on the board of BTFG, a failed bank holding company and one of the many banks that made bad real estate loans. So we're stuck with the board and their one monthly 30 minute meeting. I do see that they have scheduled a special meeting for this evening at 5:00 so I would urge everyone to come see the dog and pony show.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I'd really like to go to school board meetings but it's hard for people who work to be in DeFuniak Springs at 9:00AM. I almost get the impression that they don't want people to go to board meetings. And didn't they used to meet twice a month? If they're only meeting once a month, the board ought to have a 50% pay cut.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
I'd really like to go to school board meetings but it's hard for people who work to be in DeFuniak Springs at 9:00AM. I almost get the impression that they don't want people to go to board meetings. And didn't they used to meet twice a month? If they're only meeting once a month, the board ought to have a 50% pay cut.

You didn't miss anything at the called meeting at 5:00 this evening. It lasted 10 minutes. The board approved every recommendation of the superintendent. It must be a tough job to rubber stamp everything without discussion.

ann watson

Banned
Jun 26, 2012
Seagrove Beach
A couple of weeks ago there was an article in USA Today saying that most of the teachers in the US are now a lot less experienced than in the past. That certainly is true in Walton County where the most experienced teachers are replaced with entry level teachers to avoid having to deal with the union contract. Teachers with graduate degrees in Florida seems quite low and in Walton county, teachers with graduate degrees is below the state average. Is this in the best interest of our children?

dkiess3

Beach Crab
Sep 10, 2012
ATL/Santa Rosa Beach
Speaking as a former student of the Okaloosa County school system I'll put in my two bits. While thinking about high schools 7 years ago we did the normal thing and looked everywhere from Niceville, FWBHS, the Collegiate and even SWHS. Needless to say SWHS was on the bottom of the list. Back then I had friends in Walton county that would drive from Walton county to Niceville every day just so their kids would have a good education. I don't know if things have changed but you could always get a waiver for your kid if you're that concerned about SWHS.

Comparatively speaking, I don't think SWHS is THAT bad of a school. I knew kids that went there. It's all about how motivated the student is to go to college. As long as there are AP courses offered and the kid does well. They'll get into a good school. Yes, SWHS has a ways to go, but I know they are working hard to improve. I went to FWBHS until my senior year then transferred to a school in Walton County Georgia. You think our school system is bad. HA. This was one of the best schools in the area and it was nothing special. Florida's school system is fine.

hkem1

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
A couple of weeks ago there was an article in USA Today saying that most of the teachers in the US are now a lot less experienced than in the past. That certainly is true in Walton County where the most experienced teachers are replaced with entry level teachers to avoid having to deal with the union contract. Teachers with graduate degrees in Florida seems quite low and in Walton county, teachers with graduate degrees is below the state average. Is this in the best interest of our children?

http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/fl/other/5277#from..HeaderLink