• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
The 'great schools' link indicates that the percentage of teachers with masters degrees at Butler Elem. is 30%. The state average is 32%. At Maude Saunders, teachers with masters degrees is 22%. I guess somebody thinks that that the high schools deserve better teachers.

Thrilling

Beach Comber
Aug 24, 2012
The 'great schools' link indicates that the percentage of teachers with masters degrees at Butler Elem. is 30%. The state average is 32%. At Maude Saunders, teachers with masters degrees is 22%. I guess somebody thinks that that the high schools deserve better teachers.

Here is a quote from the Great Schools site from which you are quoting averages & drawing conclusions:

"What does a teacher's education level tell you about his qualifications?

Teachers who have advanced degrees have shown a commitment to advancing their own learning, and are generally paid more for having an advanced degree. Some studies have shown that a teacher having an advanced degree does not have any significant effect on student achievement gains at the elementary level, but having an advanced degree does have an effect at the high school level, particularly in advanced courses in math and
science."

So, it does sound like it's more important to have advanced degrees at the secondary level which would be consistent with your statement.

Last edited by a moderator:

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
Here is a quote from the Great Schools site from which you are quoting averages & drawing conclusions:

"What does a teacher's education level tell you about his qualifications?

Teachers who have advanced degrees have shown a commitment to advancing their own learning, and are generally paid more for having an advanced degree. Some studies have shown that a teacher having an advanced degree does not have any significant effect on student achievement gains at the elementary level, but having an advanced degree does have an effect at the high school level, particularly in advanced courses in math and
science."

So, it does sound like it's more important to have advanced degrees at the secondary level which would be consistent with your statement.

Sounds like dumbing down of teachers. We encourage our young people to go to college and get degrees but we're now supposed to believe that the best teachers are beginners with little experience? And teachers and parents have agreed that there is a turnover problem at Walton's elementary schools. I thought that when you have good people doing a good job, you don't get rid of them and replace them with cheaper employees to save money. Maybe we need a superintendent who is a high school dropout but is a good leader. The requirements for that job doesn't even require a degree.

Thrilling

Beach Comber
Aug 24, 2012
I know what you mean, I was surprised by the research they mentioned as well. But then I started thinking about the great teachers I know and realized that out of the top ten teachers I've known, only one of them has an advanced degree. It's positive intangible qualities that these teachers bring to the classroom that seems to make the greatest difference. These teachers educate themselves in best practices but aren't working towards an advanced degree. They do it because they are curious and interested in finding things that make a difference with students.... A graduate degree wouldn't necessarily help them towards this goal, depending on the program. These teachers devote a lot of energy to their students in their classrooms, and hoops and demands of graduate school can be a drain on this energy. I think that's really what the research is saying, as opposed to your thoughts of dumbing things down. I think it really depends on the teacher.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
I've always felt that a teacher who worked to earn a graduate degree is more dedicated. Also, teachers with graduate degrees usually are more experienced. But the trend for teachers seems to lean toward hiring youthful educators. I'm thankful that I had teachers with lots of experience. Unfortunately, my children don't seem to be as fortunate. I'm sure older rich people don't care. They're paying less in property taxes and it doesn't matter if their homes are worth less. And many of them don't have kids or grandchildren in Walton County Schools. I guess the tea party folks are pleased that the school district isn't having to pay for experience.

Thrilling

Beach Comber
Aug 24, 2012
I've always felt that a teacher who worked to earn a graduate degree is more dedicated. Also, teachers with graduate degrees usually are more experienced. But the trend for teachers seems to lean toward hiring youthful educators. I'm thankful that I had teachers with lots of experience. Unfortunately, my children don't seem to be as fortunate. I'm sure older rich people don't care. They're paying less in property taxes and it doesn't matter if their homes are worth less. And many of them don't have kids or grandchildren in Walton County Schools. I guess the tea party folks are pleased that the school district isn't having to pay for experience.

Here is another interesting thought for you from GreatSchools.org re teacher experience:

"How important is teacher experience?

Most successful schools have a healthy combination of experienced teachers and new teachers. The experienced teachers give the schools stability and serve as mentors to the new teachers. The new teachers bring fresh ideas and enthusiasm. Experience is certainly important but interestingly enough some studies have shown that the benefits of experience become evident after just a few years of teaching and seem to peak at four or five years. In
other words, teachers don't necessarily become more effective the longer they remain in the classroom.".

Again, it sounds like it depends on the teacher, I think.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Let me see if I understand the argument here. On one side a parent would like to see more experienced teachers in our schools. On the other side the argument has been made that experience isn't all that important. Silly me. I've been wasting money paying a guy who's been doing my taxes for more than 20 years who's a CPA and has an MBA. I could have gotten a cheaper person fresh out of college.....or high school. It's been my experience in life that experienced people who have proved themselves do a better job than beginners.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
My observation...if the value of experience caps out at 4-6 years for teachers, it is just another example of inadequate career development standards. Question? Does Walton County reward teachers who receive National Board certification? Does anyone even know what that means? Analysis shows that the best school
systems have the highest percentage of national board candidates or those who have already attained designation. Does Walton County have any? Are they mentoring others?

momofmany

Beach Comber
Sep 21, 2012
First I want to say that I have four children who have all attended schools in Walton County. I have experienced two different elementary schools, two different middle schools, and one high school. I have volunteered my time in these schools and I challenge each if you who have nothing but negative to say to do the same. I have found in my experience that the elementary schools bend over backwards to meet the needs of all students. I have also found that the undergraduate younger teachers that you think are inexperienced are the most engaging, and competent teachers who have the most up to date knowledge of best teaching practice and have not become complacent because they have to work harder to prove themselves to be rehired each year. I am appalled at the thought that so many of you have little faith in the teachers who spend more time with your children each day than you do. Bashing teachers and schools is not going to solve your issues. They are bound by state laws and given little resources. Perhaps you should take your complaints to higher powers and see if you can make the state provide more pay for teachers so that perhaps they can afford graduate degrees and more professional development to meet your criteria of highly qualified. Can you really expect teachers who have not had raises in this county in years be able to continue their education? Think about lightening the load for schools and volunteer your time! And that is all I got to say about that.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Pay raises amount to nothing when a good teacher loses their job. Ask one of the former teachers who was not "laid off" but simply had their contract non renewed. That's the nice term for being 'laid off' or fired. And there are plenty of experienced teachers who have applied for employment and re-employment who have experience as well as graduate degrees who have excellent student achievement records. The school district simply won't consider employing the better teachers because they don't have the funds to pay them although some would be willing to work for lower salaries. They can afford to employ administrative personnel from down south (Palm Beach county).